AVS Forum banner

9901 - 9920 of 10003 Posts

·
Registered
29,124 Posts
Finally catching up to this thread.
It's come to my attention that Dr. Hsu was recently diagnosed with pancreatic cancer.
Sorry to hear it. Fastest moving cancer. Got my mom 5 years ago; she was diagnosed around Thanksgiving and gone (in her sleep) by Christmas.
An interesting approach to laser projection: a relatively compact projector head, connected via fiber to the bulky laser illumination sources and associated hardware.
The head of Christie projectors was interviewed by Scott Wilkinson a few years ago and outlined the same approach for multiplex theatres. Once central control room with a cooler for the laser units for all the auditoriums, connected via fibre optics to the projector head in each auditorium. Since the projector heads would not contain the laser, they didn't need to be cooled down. Without fan noise, the projector would be quiet enough to be placed in the auditorium. The idea was to eliminate separate projection rooms and (get this) have nothing, not even expensive port glass, between the lens and the screen.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
It's been pretty quiet here for a while. During this strange time we've been living in has anyone made any new upgrades or tweaks to their Audio/Video/Theater room/s they'd like to share?

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
It's been pretty quiet here for a while. During this strange time we've been living in has anyone made any new upgrades or tweaks to their Audio/Video/Theater room/s they'd like to share?
No upgrades to share, but I did come across an interesting finding recently. The hypothesis was that, assuming you start with high-quality, high resolution digital recordings (96/24 recordings with lots of headroom and dynamic range), and then downsample those recordings to 44.1/16, taking care to not manipulate the levels, users would not be able to hear the difference. The results of a large survey under blind conditions bore this out.

Link

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
While sweating "it" out, being in the more at risk demographic, not good for an active mind, or at least what's left of it
I built this platform from existing resources lying about the farm, (the pic is being stubborn about attaching,
it's wood and metal and holds the dang thing up in the air. whoopie.
While the minidsp2x4 has provided "mucho" benefit for my 3 THTLP's ( why the h3ll did I think that XT32 could actually manage that. . .?)
So 2 (30") pointed at the ceiling)are co-located behind the seating, that's one output for both,
the 2 x12 JBL's sealed pointed at the seating sides are co-located, so 1 output for NF and MBM, powered by a nx3000
The 24" THTLP is in the front right corner, also pointed up.
the 4th output is for the 4 auras shakers on the seating, using a PE 250 w. plate amp
When I had 2 x Klipsch sub10's in there the floor took a pounding, literally
well all that woofage currently , rather immersive but . . . it,s no "edge of tommorrow"
so the 24" will be inverted on the platform to be down firing, still in the corner but with a loading distance to the floor of about 20", well with range per BFM.
the it's baack to more REW and XT32 refinement

in other news . . .
DIYSG had a close out of the "88 Special" , sure, yippee.
these use the magnificent 15" SEOS horn, like the ones in my LR (F15's) C (an 88) and SS (they are 88's)
so... time is running out . .
so I bought 2 more, which translates to the same 7 horns with similar tuning in the base layer. they will be RS.

another AVS'er was also asking about them . .
So i pm'd him and related my "enthusiaism and results"
now this guy hasn't even built the new house or his HT yet,
but he got excited and bought 9, a smidge under $3K!, but no flatpacks
now Erich H at DIYSG is a hella CS man,
he found 2 more flat packs after I had ordered and as of yet hasn't billed me for them, but there they are on my front porch . . .
since I'd already started on the cabs, and as sweet as the flatpack assembly is,
I'm thinking . . .considering the synergistic expertise and generosity this group ( you know who you are)has provided for my HT experience (and expense)
once I get the billing settled , for the cost of shipping, I'd consider paying it forward for this guy and let him have the flat packs.
that way he can immediately build / enjoy his LR while he's busy with D: All of the Above.

I also see that GSGAudio Design also has a behind the screen line, very slim depth . . for my pair of UM-18's in the garage . . and that extra Berry 6K . . .
what to do?

Reactions: WOKNROX

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Well, as I mentioned in our little Zoom get together a few weeks ago, I have been working on an electric masking system and it is finally up and running. I am very pleased with how it turned out and posted a thread here: Here is the video of it in action:
I am pleased with how everything turned out. Glad my coronavirus lockdown time became something useful.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Very nice...!!
And very clearly setup..

I made one years ago using windows regulators out of a Honda.
Had one attached to a poll that had my top masking rolled onto and then for the bottom, I made a DIY 16x9 screen frame that was a bit longer on the bottom to account for the masking. I then used two window regulators on a poll with picture frame wire to raise and lower the screen... had the 12v switches at a finger's reach from the MLP..
Work great for years...

I love DIY stuff..

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Sounds like a few of you have been busy....

Myself I built an MBM setup into my second row riser. These are firing into the front row seats.
I have great bass response throughout the theater but my front row seats just didn't have the tactile response that the back row has. This took care of that. Now every seat feels and sounds nearly identical.

I also did an upgrade on the projector...Friday I installed a new JVC NX-7.
It throws a beautiful image.

We watched Old Guard in 4k, HDR with Atmos on Netflix yesterday...great movie...

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Sounds like a few of you have been busy....

Myself I built an MBM setup into my second row riser. These are firing into the front row seats.
I have great bass response throughout the theater but my front row seats just didn't have the tactile response that the back row has. This took care of that. Now every seat feels and sounds nearly identical.

I also did an upgrade on the projector...Friday I installed a new JVC NX-7.
It throws a beautiful image.

We watched Old Guard in 4k, HDR with Atmos on Netflix yesterday...great movie...
I am jealous of your NX-7. My RS400 has been a pretty great projector (especially for the price I paid) but I wish it handled HDR better. The dynamic tone mapping the NX projectors have is a real game changer. Congrats!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
@usc1995 ...hey thanks
I had an RS620 that I really liked but was offered a killer amount of money for it. Knowing i had a perfect near new RS500 in the box packed away in the closet... I sold the 620.
I picked up the NX-7 and now I need to move the 500...
Yes the handling of HDR on E shifters is a problem but they are an otherwise awesome PJ..

·
Bass Enabler
21,594 Posts
Anyone in the market for some very large subwoofer cabinets..... this guy is selling my old LLT's.

It was tuned to 11hz, actually. :rolleyes:

Original sale thread: Twin 18" 25cuft LLT enclosures for sale

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Anyone in the market for some very large subwoofer cabinets..... this guy is selling my old LLT's.

It was tuned to 11hz, actually. :rolleyes:

Original sale thread: Twin 18" 25cuft LLT enclosures for sale
I think this is a better picture. :)

Scott Simonian.jpg

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Oh hey, it's about time to do another Zoom cocktail hour. This Wednesday August 12 at 6pm Pacific. I'll send a link closer to the meeting time.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Zoom meeting is on for 6pm. Password same as previous meetings.

Link:

Topic: AVSForum Cocktail Hour
Time: Aug 12, 2020 06:00 PM Pacific Time (US and Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting

9901 - 9920 of 10003 Posts