AVS Forum banner

9981 - 10000 of 10072 Posts

·
Registered
29,199 Posts
A couple of Hitchcock classics were released today with new DTS:X mixes: Psycho (BD & UHD) and Vertigo (UHD).

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
Anybody feeling brave enough for a Tenet viewing?

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Tenet Review: not gonna review the film. Anything I could say would be a spoiler.

BUT for anyone considering an outing to see it - I recommend the presentation at the Reading Grossmont in La Mesa (down by San Diego). They have a 5/70mm print. The house it's in is satisfyingly large, the screen is huge (and properly masked to the correct 2.20:1 aspect ratio) and the sound system is up to snuff. The 70mm print is playing in DTS (or Datasat or Inventure) 5.1. The print is perfectly clean, no scratches, no dirt. Happy all the way around.

Intriguingly I had braced myself for dialogue intelligibility problems, based on internet chatter and the last few Nolan films, but I didn't really have any issues. There are some scenes where the characters are wearing masks and running around shouting at each other while things explode in which it is hard to make out what they're saying, but I think that's a defensible creative choice.

The plot mechanics are quite complicated and I think it will be very rewarding to watch a second time!

·
Registered
650 Posts
Just got back from a Tenet viewing. No intent to do any Spoilers--but, my opinion of Tenet is more in line with Ivan's opinion of it from our last Zoom call.

Notwithstanding, I will say that viewer opinions in the group ranged from OK to pretty good. Although, for some of those that thought it was 'pretty good' I am not sure how much of that 'pretty good' opinion was influenced by their comments that Robert Pattinson, had "gotten sexier" or that he "had matured and looked more manly." OK. OK. Before anyone says any wise cracks about those comments--although I am sure they would be funny--these were comments from the women in the group. Although, it was not only the women that thought Tenet was good.

My primary comment is that the male lead did not work for me. So, it distracted me during the viewing. I thought that he lacked 'gravitas' or 'presence.' Which, to me, is key as a viewer. My thoughts while viewing the movie was that he was more meant for TV.

Examples of actors that have 'gravitas' are Chris Pine, Christian Bale, Chris Pratt (sic). When I worked in the motion picture business an oft used phrase was, for what I am attempting to describe is, "The camera likes him/her." And, on the set, even without seeing dailies, there was a consensus amongst the crew about who the camera liked. There would be this excitement on the set and an assumption that the dailies would look great.

For example. Chris Pine, in the first Star Trek reboot. He was following William Shatner who had defined the role of Captain Kirk and had become part of Americana because Star Trek had become a part of Americana. Is there anyone on this thread that when they saw the first Star Trek reboot with Chris Pine, that did not think, "The camera likes him." Or, he "hit it." Or that, the baton had been passed successfully? And, that, to me is what the male lead lacked in Tenet.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Has it been two weeks already? Let's plan on 6pm Pacific on Wednesday night.

Possible discussion topic: anyone else feeling the weirdness of the COVID TV schedule? Normally around now I'd be excitedly checking websites and the LA Times Calendar section for the fall TV schedule - new programming, and return dates for shows coming back. But the combination of COVID production delays + the increasing dominance of streaming over broadcast and cable TV means the old TV schedule, with new shows premiering in the fall, is about defunct. Are there any new shows people are excited about watching?

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
First episode of Ratched- bailed after 1/2 hour- too many "what? really? what? no! really? moments . . .
A cohesive story that has a good flow to it- scarce
but I'm listening

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
any good place for Tenet 70mm presentation in LA-pasadena-torrance ?

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
any good place for Tenet 70mm presentation in LA-pasadena-torrance ?
LA County cinemas are still closed. There is a 70mm print running in La Mesa (down by San Diego), and the IMAX with Laser at the Block at Orange is a good digital option.

Presumably it will play in 15/70 IMAX film at CityWalk as and when LA County allows cinemas to reopen.

I would expect a 70mm print to run at one or more ArcLight locations.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
oh right the poopvid , somehow must've slipped my mind

·
Registered
650 Posts
Has it been two weeks already? Let's plan on 6pm Pacific on Wednesday night.

Possible discussion topic: anyone else feeling the weirdness of the COVID TV schedule? Normally around now I'd be excitedly checking websites and the LA Times Calendar section for the fall TV schedule - new programming, and return dates for shows coming back. But the combination of COVID production delays + the increasing dominance of streaming over broadcast and cable TV means the old TV schedule, with new shows premiering in the fall, is about defunct. Are there any new shows people are excited about watching?
That sounds like an interesting topic -- the broadcast and cable TV schedule.

March, 2010. What is the significance of that date? It is the month and year when I "cut the cord." So, have neither watched broadcast nor cable TV since then. Typically, come football season, I consider buying an OTA antenna to watch NFL football. But, never really get around to it and then the season is ending. So, buying an OTA antenna gets put back on the to-do list until the next season.

However, the trend in my viewing has been toward less NFL. In fact, today, some people were talking about last night's Raider/Saints game. And, I realized that two weeks into the NFL season and I haven't seen one game.

So, again, I would be interested in hearing what the state of broadcast and cable TV is these days. I hear The Simpsons is still a current show.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Unfortunately monday night football has moved to ESPN...

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Unfortunately monday night football has moved to ESPN...
For the 2020 season Monday Night Football is simulcasting on ESPN and ABC. I watched the Raiders/Saints game OTA last Monday, mostly because I wanted to see the new stadium in Vegas.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Oh that's cool that's good to know.. I haven't been keeping up with football yet this season.
Always just been on ESPN for a number of years now.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Oh that's cool that's good to know.. I haven't been keeping up with football yet this season.
Always just been on ESPN for a number of years now.
Thursday Night Football is on Fox, and Sunday Night Football is on NBC.

Nonetheless, your larger point sort of still stands; cable TV makes a lot of sense if you are a sport fan. You can subscribe to some things individually as streaming services, but if you follow a lot of sports it may be best to just spring for a cable package that gives you ESPN, ESPN2, Fox Sports, NBC Sports, etc.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
OK, Zoom link for cocktail hour! 6pm PT tonight:

Daniel Schulz is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Topic: AVSForum Cocktail Hour
Time: Sep 23, 2020 06:00 PM Pacific Time (US and Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting

Meeting ID: 830 4575 5040

9981 - 10000 of 10072 Posts