AVS Forum banner

10001 - 10020 of 10077 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,669 Posts
Thanx for hosting, Dan.
+1 on this, with the aside that it's was interesting to find out I'm not the only one that follows Russian history and to a lesser degree, astromony :) .

I should change my virtual background from San Francisco to Venice Beach or Santa Monica Pier next time. LOL.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Dan,

Thanks again for hosting. Looking forward to when we can have 'live' meets again.

Mikela,
Have listened to both the Booka Shade, (from the last Zoom meet), and
Pineapple Express Thief (from yesterday).

To the LAHTG members in LA County/City
Down here in The OC, similar to the theaters, over the last week restaurants have been opening up for in-door dining. I am wondering, what say you in LA County? Are you guys still in lockdown for both movies and restaurants?

Inquiring minds want to know. :)

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
To the LAHTG members in LA County/City
Down here in The OC, similar to the theaters, over the last week restaurants have been opening up for in-door dining. I am wondering, what say you in LA County? Are you guys still in lockdown for both movies and restaurants?

Inquiring minds want to know. :)
LA County cinemas are still closed, as are restaurants for indoor dining (socially-distanced outdoor dining is permitted). I understand the local numbers are trending in the right direction and we may join Orange and San Diego Counties in being able to loosen some restrictions soon.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I just got out of a LA & OC Audio Society meeting (held via Zoom). The special guest was a rep from Swiss manufacturer CH Precision, purveyor of high-end DACS, preamps, amplifiers, etc. I'm sure it's very good gear (it'd better be, at those prices), and I don't mind some level of audio jewelry, but, predictably, after an hour of straightforward discussion on engineering philosophy and amp design and so on things veered off into high-end power cables and interconnects and physical damping, and I found it rather painful. I don't want to be rude and speak up at these things to call out the BS, but IMHO these audio societies are doing their membership a disservice in allowing snake oil to flow so abundantly.

My analogy is this: imagine developing an interest in astronomy, joining the local astronomy club, excitedly going to your first meeting, only to find that most of the attendees and all of the leadership are flat-earthers.

Anyway, I'm gonna climb down off this soapbox before I inadvertently suggest the organization of a true science-based audiophile club (a road that many people here will recall we've discussed before...)

·
Registered
650 Posts
LA County cinemas are still closed, as are restaurants for indoor dining (socially-distanced outdoor dining is permitted). I understand the local numbers are trending in the right direction and we may join Orange and San Diego Counties in being able to loosen some restrictions soon.
Ah. Thank you.

P.S. I was in the same audiophile Zoom event that you've referred to.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
There's just no better way to spend your hard earned money then on super high end cables....sarcasm...lol

Not sorry

Reactions: sdurani and dschulz

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
There's just no better way to spend your hard earned money then on super high end cables....sarcasm...lol

Not sorry
I dunno if it would be super successful, but I've long thought an interesting business to take a stab at would be high quality cables, but with more care put into aesthetics than you get from, say, Monoprice or Blue Jeans. No snake oil, just very nice looking cables for people who want to dress up their listening rooms a bit but without having to buy into the hokum you get from AudioQuest & Nordost.

I can see wanting, for example, power cables & interconnects in custom lengths (for dressing purposes), with nicely colored jackets.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I for one would love to have some quality good looking speaker cables that won't break the bank for my two channel room.
Love the cables you see at the Audio shows but can't believe the cost tho.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
In the theater (mine at least) you don't see any cables or wires of any kind but, in a two channel system the components are more open front and center making the need for better looking cables (at the very least) speaker cables more of a priority.

Yiu are right tho... good looking gear always seems to sound better..haha
Just like with cars. A clean car is more enjoyable then the very same dirty car...no?

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Hey yeah!!!
Same thing happens to my 911 Carrera after a bath...lol

Reactions: dschulz

·
Registered
650 Posts
Dan,

Regarding the LAOCAS Zoom meet and the cable discussion. On that topic all I remember is someone, or some people, asking for referrals regarding what types of cables, etc. would go with the showcased electronics. And, I just remember, the host, i.e., the dealer, responding with the brands that he carried but that cables, etc., were a personal choice and that system synergy was key. Therefore, his recommendation was that people use the in-home demo method to select cables, etc.

I must not have been paying attention during the portions that you mention.

Woknrox,

Don't know your budget on cables but if $275 or less for a pair of 10-foot cables works, I'd suggest you look at the following: Audioquest Type IV speaker cables. They have a good reputation in the community and come with a jacket and connections, and IMHO, the finished cables add to system aesthetics. The Type IV cables have been in production for 30 or so years. (Think of the BMW 3 Series, the Denon 3000 AVR series, or the Rega P3 turntable.)

The bad news is I hear that Audioquest has finally discontinued the Type IV cable. In addition, to the completed cable, the Type IV cables were also available in bulk for the DIY market. I can't remember exactly, but I'd seen the bulk cables advertised for -- I think -- something like $3 to $4 per linear foot.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Dan,

Regarding the LAOCAS Zoom meet and the cable discussion. On that topic all I remember is someone, or some people, asking for referrals regarding what types of cables, etc. would go with the showcased electronics. And, I just remember, the host, i.e., the dealer, responding with the brands that he carried but that cables, etc., were a personal choice and that system synergy was key. Therefore, his recommendation was that people use the in-home demo method to select cables, etc.
I started to check out when the manufacturer's rep started talking about how his Nordost cable provided more detail but his AudioQuest was more refined. Just willful ignorance of basic physics, and if you don't understand the physics of speaker cable I am suspicious of your efforts to sell me a $10,000 DAC or whatever.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I had an idea. I think it's a bad idea (and also one that my own finances cannot sustain at the moment, but in the future)...

Have there been any clubs or enthusiasts groups that built themselves a joint home theatre? Like, pool your money and buy (or rent) a suitable building in some conveniently-located neighborhood and kit it out with a 10 seat home theatre + maybe a little lounge with a pool table or whatever? Use it for group get-togethers plus make it available to individual members for their private use, with a group calendar for scheduling?

Or, variation on a theme - could such a thing be a viable revenue-generating business? I know the LA area has slightly larger screening rooms for Hollywood types to do test screenings, dailies, small premiers, etc. Would civilians pay $$$ to rent a small screening room? Could you build and operate such a thing for it to be reasonably priced?

·
Registered
650 Posts
Dan,

That's an interesting concept. While I can't comment on the home theater aspect, down here in The OC, I can comment on the following:

There was a time, many moons ago where some sports enthusiasts started a sort of "hang out" in The OC. The concept was that it was membership driven, the members paid a monthly fee, space was rented, fixtures were installed, and members would come to watch sports events. Some of them even had pool tables. Some of them were gyms that converted the space for evening events -- they already had the TVs -- and members would come in the evenings to watch boxing, football, etc. IIRC, they were relatively successful. But, until your posting I had forgotten all about them.

The other was a barber shop in The OC. While anyone's first thought might be "a barbershop?" The owner was entrepreneurial and he had an international following. His flagship location was in Costa Mesa, although he had other locations including one in The LA, in Long Beach. Within the Costa Mesa location he had a back room. And, he founded a members only club for this back room. Dues were used to pay for bands (he was a music lover), to pay for events, etc.

So, Dan, while I can't give you examples of home theater oriented concepts, the above are examples that might give you a comfort level that your idea may have "legs." Should you choose to explore it.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
@Ese
Thanks for the heads up on the Audioquest cables.
Look like nice cables. My problem is that I need spades on one end at least for my Vandersteen 5's...

·
Bass Enabler
21,621 Posts
I had an idea. I think it's a bad idea (and also one that my own finances cannot sustain at the moment, but in the future)...

Have there been any clubs or enthusiasts groups that built themselves a joint home theatre? Like, pool your money and buy (or rent) a suitable building in some conveniently-located neighborhood and kit it out with a 10 seat home theatre + maybe a little lounge with a pool table or whatever? Use it for group get-togethers plus make it available to individual members for their private use, with a group calendar for scheduling?

Or, variation on a theme - could such a thing be a viable revenue-generating business? I know the LA area has slightly larger screening rooms for Hollywood types to do test screenings, dailies, small premiers, etc. Would civilians pay $$$ to rent a small screening room? Could you build and operate such a thing for it to be reasonably priced?
I love it! Dan, you have so many interesting business ideas. If I had the capital for such a thing, I would love to do something like this.

However, I don't know how "economically viable" it would be to the second option. I think it would need to be a large enough venue to host 50-100 people comfortably. Parking in a location either way will be an issue, especially the more people will attend. I can't imagine either option being affordable for the space, alone. Was picturing doing something like (for a small club) renting out a warehouse type location. I remember going to an Audio Society? meetup with Sanjay a few years ago in a place like this. Would be large enough to have a nice theater room and a lobby/hangout area. Again, I think parking would be an issue.

How many of us would be interested in pitching in? Maybe just a few.... I can't see how this wouldn't cost thousands of dollars per person. I haven't even considered any equipment or furniture yet.

This sounds way too fun though. We gotta figure out a way to make it happen.

I would love to talk more about this on our next Zoom meeting!

10001 - 10020 of 10077 Posts