AVS Forum banner

Los Angeles Home Theater Group Meet

362K views 11K replies 241 participants last post by  fookoo_2010 
#1 · (Edited)
Los Angeles Home Theater Group

I would like to offer up my Home and Theater to the Los Angeles Area group for a meet again..if any would like. I have had 2 other meets here before..and they were a blast. I would also like to make a special invite to guys in the group who have never been here before........ FilmMixer, mdrsteve, Ready2Buy, TunogPinoy, GlenC, aceg1, milkpower, Bitten by HT,and Russdawg....and anyone one else that would like to come.. I am sure that I will get the regulars there also...Sanjay, Brian, and Alan.
I will supply the Theater, Food and drinks.....you supply your time and input.

You guys throw out some dates..and we will make this happen.

Thanks for your time,
RayJr

#9,520 ·
I have the 60-ish gig file from when Marc had a sub gtg about 2 years ago

and some bass reference demos from youtiube

and if we can do a bluetooth or even just acces my spotify , i'll bring a cable

#9,528 ·
Thank you guys for letting Pete and I join in on the fun with you guys last night. We had a blast and man the food was off the hook!!
Definitely have to get together again son...

#9,529 · (Edited)
Oops...double posts...

#9,531 ·
Nice...thanks.
I've got my eye on a couple of peices... gonna be a long week :nerd:

#9,533 ·
Oh yes...I am. I won't mind the shipping if the bid'n doesn't get out of hand...

#9,536 · (Edited)
Thanks Sanjay, This would be perfect for my theater.
Reminds me when Good Guys and Circuit City went away, I was going to several stores several times a week.
I scored quite a few items really cheap.

HMM, what can I do with 81 pairs of TM3's?

Attachments

Reactions: sdurani
#9,537 ·
TY Ivan and his family for great sound and good 'ol home cookin'.

always good for a noob like me to get a chance to listen to broader horizons and experience

I've been relistening to some of the other stuff folks wanted to demo'd

along with finishing my velvet ceiling (looks very darkened)

and redoing the shelving behind the TV to add a 3rd shelf for another amp, NX3000d

some were impressed with my larger mains, the F15's, as full range- but extinct.

there is the HTM12 which does have that 15" horn but even so, would probably want a sub (or 2)

from the designer about the DIYSG HTM12's

If the HTM-12 was built as 18"w x 25"h x 18"d it will give an F3 in the upper 40's and in room should give decent extension and output down to the low 40's upper 30's. Ports for this modification do not need to be changed from the 3" stock length.

you can get the xo's assembled and tested by a pro

uses the as planned baffle so it's just about building the box deeper- eaasy-peasy.

should be able to make it real for around $950- 1K a pair, depends on the plywood, stuffing

final appearance ? Henry Ford them unless behind a screen . .

anybody wants to build a pair , shoot me a PM- would make a for pair of saturdays work, basically

I wanted to test the little htm6's on stands with subs as they keep me amused in my mancave, , about 900 ft^3

but they sounded so much more opened up in Ivan's room- my guess is close to 2K vol.?

I could also bring my F4's next time, as SS and FH, XT32 keeps setting the xo to 40 . . they just might be "fun".

so let's plan for more

#9,542 ·
Get'um quick, they seem to be going fast...

I'm still breaking in the new crossovers... sounding good!

Attachments

#9,546 ·
Field Trip Report - Village THX Ultimate

Finally made it down to the Village in Westwood, the first THX Ultimate Cinema, which I gather is meant to compete with Dolby Cinema/IMAX. I saw the new Men in Black.

The auditorium hasn't changed much - no new lighting scheme, curtains or seats. The sound system is still a very capable and very good-sounding Dolby Atmos system, no changes that I could see (not that it needed any). In fact, I think Atmos in the Village sounds better even than Atmos in the Dolby Cinemas I've been in, probably because the size of the auditorium and excellent acoustics just make for an impressive starting point.

Projection is now handled by a pair of Barco Laser Phosphor - High Contrast model - projectors. The picture quality was absolutely perfect. I understand they are doing a custom grade for the THX Ultimate Cinema, but I don't know the details. Perhaps a bit brighter than 14FL, and certainly the contrast really showed, so perhaps THX is also doing a bit of custom grading to push the picture closer to HDR territory. I was thrilled to see the auditorium has retained its constant-height configuration, with a massive 2.39 screen with side masking to handle 1.85 movies. MIB was, annoyingly, a 2.00:1 presentation, so it was shown slightly letterboxed, but for that I blame the filmmakers not the theatre.

My only real complaint is the lack of branding - THX has been around for a long time, and if you didn't know going in you'd think this was just another THX-Certified auditorium, albeit with an unusually good picture quality. Even the THX logo trailer they showed was just the old THX Tex 2 Moo trailer.

Still, all in all, a great theatre made even better and it remains atop my list of places to see movies.

#9,548 ·
It's my lucky day!!

The Theil auction just ended and I'm a lucky winner...
Now the waiting starts all over again on the shipping.

#9,558 ·
Happy 4th guys!!
Hope you are all surviving the E-quakes... this are really shaking up here in the Mojave Desert..!

#9,562 ·
The 6.6 was really rock'n up here...
We've been binge watching Stranger Things this morning...and wasn't sure if the others were the subs or quakes...lol

Hey on another note..
I wanted to thank you for the link on the Thiel auction..
I scored a good deal..

#9,563 ·
That moment when you think when did the install D-Box seats, and why did they wait until half way through the movie to turn them on?

Was at the Burbank Prime Theater watching Spider-Man during the quake today.

There was quite a bit of movement and several people got up, and some left the theater.

I got as far as putting my recliner feet down just in case I needed to move.

Reactions: bulls
#9,566 ·
So how was the new Spider-Man...?
The previews look good..

#9,565 · (Edited)
I scored a BIG, Simaudio Moon Titan 7ch amplifier for a song!!

#9,569 ·
Got rocked by the 7.1 today, about 100 miles or so from the epicenter.

Not like sub waves either, we were bobbing up & down a bit.

#9,571 ·
Homerun Derby tonight....@5 ESPN.
Who's watch'n?
It's like our Superbowl around here...
!

#9,572 ·
It's all good where I'm at.
No damage just some shake'n..