AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an HTPC connected to an Onkyo SR608 via HDMI. My problem is that the receiver seems to lose all audio signal when I pause or rewind/fast forward something and it takes a second or so to pick back up on the source format and change before I hear audio again.

For example, if I'm watching an MKV with DD audio, I have the DD light on the receiver while playing. If I pause, the DD light goes off. When I unpause, the DD light comes back on but I lose 1-2 seconds of audio, often forcing me to rewind to listen to dialog I missed.

Is there anything in the HTPC or receiver I can do to fix this?

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
I see and hear the same thing with a Pioneer AVR; so, I don't think it is specific to your AVR.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I believe what's going on is that the AVR is attempting to reconnect the audio stream, and ensure that it's still on a Protected Audio Path, and that takes a non-trivial amount of time. Basically, when you pause a DVD or Blu-Ray the system goes from outputting bitstreamed audio to PCM audio, then back to bitstreamed when you unpause. Windows simply can't keep the bitstreamed connection live when the video (and bitstream) stop because you've paused or FFW/RRW the video.

I occasionally have the same thing with my setup, though a lot less often since I set mine up to output 5.1 PCM through the HDMI cables so it doesn't lose connection nearly as often.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Do you have SP1 installed?

·
Registered
361 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnythan /forum/post/20879132

How did you do that?

1) You need to have a Video Card that supports 5.1/7.1 PCM over HDMI. I have an ATI 5450 which does. Some of the older cards, and onboard chipsets, only support 2.0 Stereo, so you need to make sure your card does.

2) You need to configure your Audio Devices to use the HDMI and be set it to 5.1 or 7.1 speakers. If you cannot set it to 5.1 or 7.1 then either your driver or your video card doesn't support it.

3) You need to configure your video player and your DVD player software to output 5.1/7.1 PCM. For Video I use a codec pack which includes FFDShow, and configure FFDShow to upconvert Stereo to 5.1. For DVD/Blu-Ray I have PowerDVD and have configured the Audio properties to output 5.1 PCM via HDMI.

Be aware that doing this you won't be able to use the HD Audio from Blu-Rays (unless you switch the DVD/Blu-Ray software back to bitstream when you put in a Blu-Ray, or you use two different playback programs, one for Blu-Ray and one for DVD; I don't think any of the current software players support PCM for DVD but bitstream for Blu-Ray without manually changing settings, but I could be wrong here). For me this is a non-issue, because my AVR doesn't support HD Audio anyway. However, I was getting annoyed with the audio drops and setting it to 5.1 PCM seems to have solved the issue for me.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I do have SP1.

I've left FFDShow set to "straight through" or "no change" or whatnot to let the receiver deal with the up/downmixing as appropriate. I will change it to 6.1 and see where that gets me. Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith /forum/post/20879224

Be aware that doing this you won't be able to use the HD Audio from Blu-Rays (unless you switch the DVD/Blu-Ray software back to bitstream when you put in a Blu-Ray, or you use two different playback programs, one for Blu-Ray and one for DVD; I don't think any of the current software players support PCM for DVD but bitstream for Blu-Ray without manually changing settings, but I could be wrong here).

You can use any software player that uses LAV Audio/Splitter as a directshow filter in the graph to either bitstream or decode to PCM for bluray hd audio and DVD. J River Media Center works really well at this, there's a simple option to check/uncheck for bitstream vs decode in the option menu. It will also downmix the 7.1 to 5.1 if you need to do that for your amp (my amp won't downmix 7.1 PCM to my 5.1 speaker setup so I use j River for this).

MPC-HC or Potplayer also can be set up for LAV filters I believe, but I've not used them.

SBR

·
Registered
113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnythan /forum/post/20880583

I use the Shark 007 codec pack. I'm looking at the Audio tab. It seems to have LAV and FFDshow and I'm having trouble figuring out what I need to set.

Does this look right? What else do I need to check?

Sorry, don't use codec packs so can't help.

SBR

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK, so when I configure nVidia HDMI Audio to use 7.1 speakers, everything comes through as 7.1. How do I know if I'm getting proper decoding of the audio streams? How do I just listen to stereo when playing music?

Whatever I select in Shark007 Audio for speaker config seems to have no effect on anything. If I don't disable LAV audio I don't get sound in mkvs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.