AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I have a Panasonic P50V10 and HD service from Optimum. I used a 3' Rocketfish (SP?) HDMI cable from Best Buy to connect TV to cable box. All was OK. I then switched over to a 10' Mediabridge HDMI cable that I bought on Amazon. After switching I wasn't able to see 2 HD channel, both ESPNHD. When I swapped the Mediabridge cable with the 2 footer the channels came back. So, A couple of questions: 1) might my cable signal be weak; 2) does Mediabridge manufacture a quality cable; 3) does the length of cable affect ability to receive certain channels? Thanks! - Marc

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
That is a puzzle. I can't see how the HDMI cable would affect the channels you receive. Normally, you should either receive them all, or if there's a cable problem, none.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Your HDMI cable has nothing to do with your cable box's ability to receive a given channel. There is a maximum HDMI cable length which will depend on the equipment you have at both ends and the resolution of the signal you are trying to send. Just about any 10' cable will work. This sounds like an HDCP issue. For some reason the handshake between the cable box and the TV isn't happening correctly with the 10' cable and the cable box is refusing to send the signal.

·
Registered
92 Posts
OK, I might have a crazy idea. Is your set top box set to put out the native resolution of the channel you are on? Is it possible that ESPN is operating at 1080p through your cable supplier? If so, the data rate is twice as high as 1080i or 720p and the 10' cable has issues with the higher bandwith.

All that said, 1080p should still be relative easy for a 10ft HDMI cable unless the cable is extremely low quality or improperly manufactured. Order an inexpensive 10ft HDMI cable from Blue Jeans or Monoprice and see if that fixes the issue.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I don't know if this is the right forum, but here's hoping.

Occasionally the TV and audio signal goes our for a second or two when watching from DVR AND DVD.

After checking with others, they all say the problem is somewhere else.

Our set up is HDMI cables from Sony Blu Ray, HDMI cables from set top box, both into Denon AVR 3808, and out of the Denon with HDMI to the Sony Bravia.

After changing out the cables from the DVR STB to optical, the problem still exists.

It all seems to point to the Denon AVR (new firmware updated). But if I patch around it, the convenience of the AVR and the sound would be gone.

It's been suggested that I change out HDMI cables to component. Will the digital signal still be "complete" with component cables?

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance .

·
Registered
1,755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenDog /forum/post/17107799

It's been suggested that I change out HDMI cables to component. Will the digital signal still be "complete" with component cables?

Any ideas?

With component video you will need to send the audio with a digital/optical connection to get full surround sound. However lossless audio, available on some Blu-Ray discs, is only available through HDMI (and that's only if your Denon can decode the lossless formats).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.