AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've run across a strange behavior with my HTPC, wondering if anyone else has experienced this and/or come up with any workarounds.

Relevant system specs:

Motherboard: ASRock Z68 Pro3-M

Processor: Intel i5

Video card: ATI Radeon HD 6870 connected to receiver via HDMI

Receiver: Anthem Statement d2v

TV: Pioneer Kuro KRP-600M

The problem:

Whenever I have the HTPC running and I either A) turn off the TV or B) turn off my AV receiver, when the TV (or receiver) are turned back on, I've lost picture to the HTPC (black screen). This happens every single time I turn off the TV or receiver, not just occasionally, and is not time-based (i.e. it happens whether the TV is turned off for 5 seconds or 2 hours).

The first several times this happened I assumed the HTPC had gone to Sleep, so I went into the Power Settings Control Panel and made sure the HTPC would never sleep or turn off the display, etc., but it kept happening consistently.

The computer was definitely still on (I could VPN into it from my Mac and see that it was still running, but even that activity didn't trick the display into turning back on.)

My only solution was to hit the hard Restart button the computer, which isn't ideal, since I lose anything I have open on the computer, and it's not a proper way to shut down the system so I'm afraid it could cause problems over time.

It seemed to me the TV and/or AV receiver were just "losing" the display signal from the HTPC, similar to how you sometimes have to "refresh" the display signal when hooking up a PC to a projector.

This got me thinking, and I figured out another workaround that appears to help: when I lose the display, I can press Win+P (which activates Windows 7's Connect to Projector dialog box) and then hit Enter (which selects the first option, which is to just use a regular Display), and my display returns immediately, without having to hard Restart the computer. This action essentially appears to "refresh" the display connection signal. This has to be done "blind", of course, since the display doesn't show anything during this process.

This is a better solution than hitting the Restart button to reboot, but it's not ideal (and certainly not intuitive for family members who aren't going to remember an esoteric keyboard shortcut, and then have to execute it blind.)

The system builder has suggested this is a somewhat common problem related to the sensitivity of HDMI handshakes, but that doesn't explain why it would happen when just the TV is turned off/on, since the HTPC really isn't aware of that (it being connected directly to the AV receiver).

Has anyone else experienced this in your HTPC setup, and come up with a solution?

Thanks,

Robert

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have experienced this, but sorry no solution from me. I will just be here waiting with you, for a solution. It is frustrating. Thanks for bringing it up!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Looks like an EDID issue. Download Moninfo from Entech, click on the realtime display settings and use the .inf file as the driver for your monitor. I did that with my 6450 and it worked perfectly. I you need more info on the EDID issues, search these forums for 'EDID' overrides.

If you are still having problems after that, try using 'HDMIyo' to reset your hdmi connection to your pc.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That definitely sounds like the problem I'm having, and it seems like a surprisingly common problem. Can't believe it hasn't been fixed at the driver level yet.

I tried both the MonInfo .inf driver replacement, as well as HDMIYo (which definitely sounded promising). Unfortunately neither did the trick for me (I also tried hdmiOn, a similar utility to HDMIYo) but it also didn't work.

Looks like I'll have to live with my Win+P / Enter trick for the time being until either Microsoft or ATI figures this out.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not sure what you mean here. Are you suggesting using optical audio cable and HDMI just for video? Not understanding sending the audio as "an extended desktop".

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Yes, I experience this problem.

At this point I am speculating that it is HDCP/DRM issue, (content protection/digital right management) Microsoft has put a program on your computer called PlayReady which I believe manages content protection and digital rights. I assume at this point that this software is seriously screwed up and microsoft is to blame.

There are two problems that I assume are related: the black screen you are getting and the problem that media center stops playing and says to shut down and restart media center to load missing drivers. (shutting down and restarting media center does not fix the prolbem)

My solution to both of these problems is to turn off my AVR and then turn it back on again. Then I either re extend my destop...I have a monitor and a plasma TV attached to a Nvidia Asus 440 or I restart media center after powering the AVR back up.

Powering down the AVR and then starting it again gets PlayReady to reestablish the protected circuit. I believe these problems will continue until microsoft fixes PlayReady.

However if I am wrong or someone has better information I hope that person will post.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I'm also having this issue, though I haven't tried messing with any EDID solutions yet.

Currently I'm using 2 ATI 5750's in crossfirex (overkill, I know
). I was previously running a Gt430 and never had this problem once... though I did have other problems after installing a Ceton card (black flashes and what not). Since I was upgrading my main gaming rig, I just bought a new card for that and moved my Crossifrex setup over to the htpc. That solved the black flashes, but now the reciever/tv won't lockon to the HDMI signal when I power my system back on. I know that's what happening, because simply unplugging and replugging the HDMI cable from the HTPC brings the picture back. Another issue I've had on both cards is, that when the lock is reestablished after powercycling the TV/Recvr the HTPC desktop or 7mc screen will be in 4:3 ratio with black bars on the side. Minimizing or resizing the 7mc window snaps everything back to 16:9.

As of right now my HTPC is on 24/7... primarily as I've not had a chance to research power/standby/sleep/BIOS options and how they relate to universal remotes and Cable card tuners/scheduled recordings. I'm thinking if I just setup the HTPC to power up/down with the rest of the components in the chain it should solve the above problems as well. I just want to be sure 7mc will wake automatically to record scheduled programs and what not. Anyone point me to a good guide on this?

·
Registered
2,225 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsinclair /forum/post/20905167

Not sure what you mean here. Are you suggesting using optical audio cable and HDMI just for video? Not understanding sending the audio as "an extended desktop".

If your video card has 1 dvi connection and 1 hdmi connection, use a dvi/hdmi cable to connect the video card directly to your tv and set your tv as display 1. Connect an hdmi/hdmi cable between your card and avr. Turn on your avr and Windows should detect your avr as display 2. In Windows display properties, extend your desktop to display. I did this with my Ati 5450 dvi/hdmi to LG plasma and hdmi/hdmi to my Marantz avr. I can switch inputs on the tv and Marantz without losing the picture or sound.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.