AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
since getting HDTV over my cable box. I've watched several movies in 1080i that I own on DVD, and now I can't bear to watch the disk.

I went through a very high energy time, enthusiastically buying every DVD as it came out (I have about 400) but HDTV is so much better that I haven't bought a disk in several months. My energy now is focused on more and better programming for HDTV.

:)

·
Registered
395 Posts
I still value my DVD collection. For me, a big part of it is the ability to time-shift. My Tivo really has spoiled me. Maybe when more than ShowtimeHD and HBO-HD are offered in my area, I'll think differently.

For the next few years though, I imagine, I'll be watching the occasional HD show, Tivo and movies on DVD.

--Karl

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have HBO and Showtime. A funny little movie like "Meet the Parents" which I own, is perfectly pleasant on DVD, but when you see the HBO-HD version, it just knocks your socks off, quite literally.

DVDs are good for the extra features, but I stopped being interested in the extra features long ago. I suspect that we'll be able to get commentary on demand from our cable or satellite sources, soon enough.

Part of my problem is the quality of my television (50" plasma). It's such a great display, that it displays all the inherent problems of compressed video, and poor sources such as analog cable tv. But HDTV is absolutely splendid on my system.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DFletcher
I have HBO and Showtime. A funny little movie like "Meet the Parents" which I own, is perfectly pleasant on DVD, but when you see the HBO-HD version, it just knocks your socks off, quite literally.
that may have been the worst example ever. i've done A/B comparison with the meet the parents DVD and the HD version and the DVD looks the same, IF NOT BETTER. save the, "check your setup" stuff too.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by h2ofun
Thats why I love time shifting my HD library on D-VHS tape.

dave
Yes, I imagine its nice. I toyed with the idea of getting into D-VHS after reading some of the articles in Widescreen Review. I just can't imagine investing again in tape no matter how great the image quality, especially at current equipment costs.

Once the price comes down and there are more sources with IEEE1394 output, I'll probably evaluate it all again, but by then Blue-ray will probably be on the horizon....

What are you using as a source for your content? Do you have the 169time rig? --Karl

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by ADebar

that may have been the worst example ever. i've done A/B comparison with the meet the parents DVD and the HD version and the DVD looks the same, IF NOT BETTER. save the, "check your setup" stuff too.
I disagree, obviously.

But this weekend, maybe I'll check out "Air Force One" which I own in Superbit.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Well as is the case so many times it's just a matter of personal taste. Yeah movies on HBO look really nice usually PQ wise, but on the ones that are cropped to fit my screen, it doesnt do *me* much good compared to the DVD.

Or when it comes to broadcast HD, it doesnt matter much if AFO's PQ is nice since 1/3rd of the alloted time for the movie will be ads. Not to mention edited for certain audio/video content.

But hey, every once in a awhile all the stars align and even a cynic like me can find a movie I want to watch that is actually done right in HD. OAR, 5.1 sound, no ad's and no editing.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I used the wrong example. "Gladiator" isn't my favorite movie, and I couldn't get through it in the theater. A friend brought over the DVD, and once again, we gave up watching the whole thing before the end.

But then it came on HBO-HD, admittedly cropped to 1.78:1. OAR aside, wow! What a difference a few lines of resolution make! I could actually see the makeup on the actors faces.

Well, it worked for me. DVDs are over, HDTV forever!

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Yeah, I hate to admit, but PQ on DVDs are sort of disappointing after viewing HD material. I still like DVDs for the "movie theater" like look and experience and DTS soundtracks.

BTW, where are you guys getting that AFO is going to be broadcasted in HD? All my sources for HDTV programming don't have it listed as HD.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
GLADIATOR was not cropped to 1.78:1. It's a Super35 film and they openned up the frame. Most of the VFX were done at either 2.35:1 ot 1.85:1, depending on the shot, so there was little cropping.

I have yet to see a 1.85:1 DVD that can match the HBO 1.85:1 transfers (Not counting the ones suffering from the "Vertical Blind Defect" that has been mentioned in some threads). Even softened HD from HBO is better than artifact prone, EE laced, low rez DVD and I am really starting to get annoyed with DVD's now that I watch CSI and BAND OF BROTHERS, which look so good it makes my jaw drop every single week.

Bring on the 2nd genration D-Theater D-VHS decks so that I can buy into the format! :cool:

·
Registered
285 Posts
I have a "waiting to be tweaked by Craig Miller" mitsu 65909, and I have yet to see an OTA network HD program (CSI, Alias, Jag,etc.) whose PQ even comes close to the PQ of PBS OTA or Directv's HDNET. In comparing HDHBO to the following DVDs; Cast Away, Gladiator, Hollow Man, Patriot and Perfect storm, I saw no significent difference. In fact I considered some of the above to slightly superior on DVD. IMO the Diamond Mitsu has the most stunning RPTV HDPQ. (including the Pioneer Elite PRO-720HD) I am using the allegedly "suspect" Denon DVD-2800 via Monster M1000V component video cables, and the DVDs of the 5th Element, Toy Story, A Bug's Life, while not 1080i HD, are still stunning. Just my .03cents (accounting for inflation).

·
Registered
323 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DFletcher
since getting HDTV over my cable box. I've watched several movies in 1080i that I own on DVD, and now I can't bear to watch the disk.

I went through a very high energy time, enthusiastically buying every DVD as it came out (I have about 400) but HDTV is so much better that I haven't bought a disk in several months. My energy now is focused on more and better programming for HDTV.

:)

I agree 100%. I've had my HD STB from TimeWarner now for over one month and I find myself watching more HBO/Showtime HD movies than DVDs. I find the picture quality noticeably better than the DVD counterpart;

however, it varies between movies.

The only problem I have with HBO and Showtime HD is the limited programming. It seems the same five movies get recycled week after

week. It would be nice to see some more variety.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Interesting that there is no mention of audio quality on this thread while comparing HDTV to dvds. Doesn't that count for anything? I recall reams of discussions in the various Forums about the pros and cons (mostly pros) about the dynamics of dts and how much it added to the movie that you were watching on dvd.

When I get DD 5.1 with a lot of activity on the channels during my HDTV viewing it is very good and I have accepted that. But things being equal in video quality and you had a chance to watch, say, SAVING PRIVATE RYAN, in dts, which would you choose?

Tuff to beat a quality dvd in dts, but I do love HDTV. I find myself becoming much more discriminate in my dvd purchases.

Ernie :confused:

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
I stopped buying, renting and watching DVDs when I got my JVC D-Theater VCR and 169time receiver. I've since sold most of my 430 DVD collection. I have only 150 left, and hopefully will have them all sold by June when the D-Theater tapes arrive on the market.

I've kept busy since February watching my 124-hours of Winter Olympics recordings. Bring on D-Theater!!

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,616 Posts
Those who have invested in HTPC's are able to customize (scale) the output formats for their displays and get very different (better) results than the typical consumer DVD player. This accounts for the comments that some members make in support of DVD playback, even compared to HDTV.

·
Registered
619 Posts
In the mid 60's Fisher (remember them?) was running an ad for its new line of consoles. Eugene Ormandy said that the sound was just like being there.

Obviously, it couldn't have been, but like many musicians, he heard most of the music in his head. He was not listening as an audiophile, but as one who loved music.

While I like CDs, I still listen to older vinyl that hasn't been released on CD, such as Command's Carousel. The fact that the reccordings are not the latest and greatest technology doesn't mean I'll abandon them. I far prefer a superior performance on vinyl to a performance that has nothing going for it other than being available on CD.

And I'm not adverse to pulling out an old SBeta, Hi-8, or S-VHS tape to watch a favorite movie or TV show that I don't want to spend $20 on for the DVD (if it's even available). Same with LDs. One no-no: standard VHS.

Do I like HD? Yes, I love it. But I also like the ability to watch what I want when I want. I can be as picky as the next person on the quality of HD or an HD set, but when I'm involved in a good movie, the quality of the source tends to disappear as the quality of the show increases.

To be honest, whenever I update a piece of audio or video gear I''m hypercritical for the first month or two. After the initial involvement has passed, I just relax and enjoy the system.

Rick

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
Quote:
JVC D-Theater VCR and 169time receiver
So with the D-Theater box, can you play back directly from the VCR? I read their site a long time back and it sounded like you had to play back through the modified STB for some reason.

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Tonypaul said:

and I have yet to see an OTA network HD program (CSI, Alias, Jag,etc.) whose PQ even comes close to the PQ of PBS OTA or Directv's HDNET
HD Video vs HD Film Transfer

Apple vs Oranges

Different beasts

Can't really compare them. Straight video has a very different look from HD film transfers and is usually perceived as "looking better". Multiple other threads discuss this issue if you want to do some research.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dean Roddey

So with the D-Theater box, can you play back directly from the VCR? I read their site a long time back and it sounded like you had to play back through the modified STB for some reason.
Sure Dean. As a playback device it's plug and play via component outputs. It just doesnt have component inputs for recording, so you'll need a firewire source for that.

As far as just playing back pre-recorded movies though, yeah for 1100.00 and 30+ bucks a pop for a bunch of movies you've already seen countless times in various other formats, you can now watch them in yet another improved format. ;)

1 - 20 of 89 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.