AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the last month our satellite receiver has been "freaking out" for lack of a better explanation. We used to get the program guide for at least 3 days but lately it just seems to show up for a few hours. We have had a lot of problems with the sat losing the signal lately too. I am wondering if anyone else is having these problems or is our receiver going? It is at least 6-7 yrs old, haven't had any reason to upgrade. :) (Well, a hi-def box is on the horizon, if Santa Clause is reading this. :D )

Tim

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
It is possible your IRD is about to tank, but be aware of other factors:

1> It's logic and memory may be "confused". Have you tried disconnecting power at the IRD's plug for five minutes or longer? (Note that pressing the remote's or the IRD's "power" button does NOT cut power to the internal circuitry - it only blanks the audio and video outputs and extiguishes the power-on status LED. DirecTV boxes have to remain powered up to accept "call-home" commands and process updates as they become available.)

2> Is there a chance your cabling may have a problem? You didn't mention, but a total or periodic loss of 1/2 the transponders is often a cabling issue due to moisture/corrosion at exposed connections. You also didn't mention whether you have more than one receiver. If you do, and if an alternate location is free of problems, try swapping the primary receiver to that alternate location. If it behaves itself there, the receiver's not at fault.

3> DirecTV has stepped up their antipiracy efforts during the last four or five weeks. Sometimes a perfectly legitimate card will be affected during these electronic countermeasures (ECMs). If the above suggestions do not apply or solve your problem, call and request a technical representative. Explain to him/her your situation and request a card "hit". They can send a reactivation packet through the data stream while you're still on the phone. It's possible that your access card is going belly-up, too. If they determine your card's at fault, there's a good chance they'll overnight FedEx you a new card at no charge as long as you return the old card in an included prepaid mailer.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Damn, that was fast. :) Ray, thanks for the quick reply.

1) We have disconnected the power and let it sit for a while and it helped for a day or so, then back to being weird.

2) I don't think cabling is a problem, checked it all and nothing has changed. I did check for oxidation and such and generally cleaned contacts. We only have one receiver so no way of swapping receivers. I don't think I am losing transponders, it is just the menu system is really screwing up lately. We use to be able to see what was on up-to 3 days ahead, but lately it only goes a few hours before the menu is blank and then if you try to keep going it flashes a blue/black screen then says looking for satellite signal. Sometimes it will go back to the program we were watching and sometimes the only fix is to switch it off and then back on.

3) This sounds to me like the best explanation of what is happening. It all started about 3 weeks ago. Damn, I was hoping I wouldn't have to call the "Seventh Level of Hell" that is DirecTV's customer service.

Thanks for the reply and sorry for the novel.

BTW, it is an old Sony receiver that has always worked great until recently.

Tim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.