AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yours truly, a 1st-time hdtv buyer, has his resistance fading, resolve wavering, and a rising fear of complete capitulation and pulling the trigger on a Mits 52725 this weekend.

Forum sages, please save me from myself! Please make arguments like:

- don't do it, wait for the Sammy 74's!

- the Panny's are better!

- back off, wait for the 1080p's!

- you'll start seeing rainbows, even if you don't see them in the store!

- wait 'til you can afford a plasma!

- curtail your enthusiasm, being HDTV-less in football season is clouding your judgement!

- etc.

... anything, anything at all to arrest the inexorable advance of a complete collapse of will in the face of unadulterated HDTV-lust!

cheers. ;)

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
If you hear the voices now, they will only get worse if you go out and buy now. This is your subconscious telling you it isn't sure you're making the right decision.

Wait until they shut up. Then buy.

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
If you've done your research and like the set, just do it, if you wait for all those questions to be answered, you'll just have a new set of them later... The only question is do you want HD now or not.

Ok, one of the questions above is valid too, do buy it somewhere you can return it just in case you do see rainbows... :)

·
Registered
395 Posts
I wouldn't take the plunge until you are 100% sure you'll be happy !! You will always be doubting yourself. I shopped and wished for 18 months before I bought a HDTV and am sooooooooo glad I did !!!! Even the wife last night, while watching CSI, said "the picture is great, I glad you got this TV" !!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Here you go.

I pulled the trigger on a 62725 Mits since it was gorgeous and I rarely if ever saw rainbows. I got it home and cried when I turned it on. I saw rainbows... Constantly... Lived with it for a week thinking that maybe I would get over it. I wasn't wiggleing my head or doing anything special. All I had to do was look at the screen. Made me really unhappy as I prefer the look of DLP over LCD... :( Oh well. I do not have it anymore. Now I am trying to figure out what to do... Hope you have better luck.

·
Premium Member
4,316 Posts
Well, that's the only concrete question. You will not really know about the 'rainbow' question until you live with the set for a week or so, and until all others that could make your live miserable do so, also. :D

You have to have it where you can relax, under your lighting, and be able to return it if needed, for a DLP. I can't think of any other set where this is needed.... Now, having said all that, I have a Sammie 61 DLP, love it, never saw rainbows, neither does my wife, and we are happy. But to not have the opportunity to return the set if we had to? Uh-uh...

Now, about that 1080p... :) (You could always sell whatever you get now to someone else down the road, if you have to have HD now and something better later....)

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
There are only four reasons not to buy this set:

- You can't afford it (should go without saying)

- You don't like the picture/glare screen

- You don't have the space for it

- You want to spend less than the Mits. costs

Other than that, you should be watching football this Sunday in HD. Waiting for 1080p, who knows how much better it will be, and when it will come out. There will always be something newer around the corner. You could spend your whole life waiting. And I especially wouldn't wait for the 74's, because you will miss football season.

·
Registered
117 Posts
look...many can argue whether or not you should buy the tv. reasons can included "if i wait longer, the price will drop" or "there's a better set coming out."

the way i see it, if you buy a tv now...and love the picture quality now, half a year to a year from now, when new sets are out, or your current model has dropped in price, you shouldn't care. why? because during those 6 months to a year, you've ENJOYED watching your tv, and that's the reason you bought it in the first place.

you buy the tv to enjoy watching it, you don't buy a tv, rather NOT buy a tv, because you're afraid something better is going to come out. it's kinda like a computer, there's always going to be a faster model coming out, but the computer you get will allow you to surf the internet, play games etc. and so imo, the enjoyment of using what you bought is more important than whether you got the best model, because there's always new and improved new models coming out.

if you like the tv, go and buy it.

just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Metagroboliser
Yours truly, a 1st-time hdtv buyer, has his resistance fading, resolve wavering, and a rising fear of complete capitulation and pulling the trigger on a Mits 52725 this weekend.

- curtail your enthusiasm, being HDTV-less in football season is clouding your judgement!

- etc.

... anything, anything at all to arrest the inexorable advance of a complete collapse of will in the face of unadulterated HDTV-lust!

cheers. ;)
I say you need to see a shrink. How many people actually ask to be peer pressured? :D

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
HARHAHARH GOOD ONE nvBOY

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
The model most comparable to the one I bought back in fall of 01 costs 1k less than what I paid then for my set. I have no regrets whatsoever about not waiting. I've had a lot more than $300 a year worth of extra enjoyment with this set. It would have been worth it for anamorphic 480p dvd alone, it's even more worth it since I got the Zenith DVB-318 doing upconversion to 1080i, and HD is just icing on the cake.

The set it replaced was a top of the line 99 model 53" analog Hitachi Ultravision, among the best non-HD ready sets ever built, so it's not like I went from a typical 27" Walmart special straight to 16/9 HD ready.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I can relate to many of your apprehensions! I probably started researching

rear projection sets close to 10 months ago, spending countless hours

reading, viewing and, well, waiting for new and improved sets to come out.

I took delivery on a 52725 last Tuesday. I could not be happier. My upgraded cable gets installed in 3 days, and even now, the picture is very good. DVD's are simply stunning. The sound of the set isn't bad either.

My main fears about the Mits have retreated after 15 hours of viewing:

-Rainbows have been non-existent

-The screen shield has not been bothersome in terms of reflections. If anything, it may actually help with the picture's clarity. A definite improvement over the 52525's screen.

-Everything works great!

The only slight problem I noticed was a slight "synch" problem with the audio on a PBS show. (Television or signal?)

I was also able to work out a pretty good price on the purchase as well.

This 52725 is a very nice television.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Quote:
Yours truly, a 1st-time hdtv buyer, has his resistance fading, resolve wavering, and a rising fear of complete capitulation and pulling the trigger on a Mits 52725 this weekend. ....

cheers. ;)
Look, nothing made up to this point in man's history has been perfect and it never will be otherwise everybody would already own one and all the other companies would be out of business or selling knock-offs of "The One". Relax, get what your heart desires and be prepared for that day in the (distant or near) when the "Next Big Thing" appears and becomes irresistible ... after all, that's what keep the whole thing going, making it new and improved. In the meantime, you can still enjoy your life. :D

YMMV

·
Banned
8,738 Posts
Quote:

- etc.

cheers. ;)

You are in a situation where you aren't sure what you want. You need help clarifying what you want.

If DLP is what you want, here's what you should determine before you even get to brands or features.

1) If you see rainbows

2) If you see rainbows can you live with them.

If you see rainbows and they are not the bothersome to you then DLP is still in the game. If they are annoying to you, then you need to scrath DLP off your list, forget about, it doesn't matter if its 720P or 1080P as long as its one chip and you are sensitive to rainbows DLP won't be an option for you.

If you don't see rainbows in the store and you are impressed enough with DLP, go ahead and pull the trigger on the Mits because at this point you are auditioning the DLP technology more so than the brand. Now I want to emphasize " MAKE SURE YOU PURCHASE FROM A STORE WITH A 30 DAY RETURN POLICY" because it might take you time before you see evidence of rainbows may be 2 weeks or so. Meanwhile you can also check out the other aspects of DLP technology advantages and disadvantags, misquitoe noise, dithering etc. You can also look at the pro and cons of the Mits brand and take note of them. But keep in mind you are auditioning DLP technology first.

If you feel comfortable that you won't see any rainbows and you just don't know why those idiots on the AVS Forum keep making an issue out rainbows, that means that DLP have passed the test.

If you don't like DLP's or you do like them but don't like the Mits, you have the 30 day return period. Please return it and get a set that you are going to be happy with, never feel guilty about returning a set, don't worry about what store does with the set you return, its their problem not yours, what you need is the best set you can afford that will bring you many years of happiness.

As far as Plasma go, in my opinion there's only a few Plasma that's worth the money, Panny's and Fujitsu's, both are going cost almost twice the price of a 50/52 inch Mits, Sammy, Toshiba or Panny DLP, with marginal PQ benefits at best and a host of other problems i.e. burn-in. Other lesser Plasma sets you get burn-in, poor blacks and the dreadful "screen door effect.

Unless you have Bill Gates $$$ don't even think about 1080P Plasma.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Not to hijack this thread or anything, but I am sort of in the same situation as the original author of this thread. I am also considering the Mits DLP and never have seen rainbows myself.

If I don't like the TV or see rainbows... would the place I purchased the TV pick it up, or do I have to haul it back myself if I do decide to return it?

·
Banned
8,738 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ckuch9
Not to hijack this thread or anything, but I am sort of in the same situation as the original author of this thread. I am also considering the Mits DLP and never have seen rainbows myself.

If I don't like the TV or see rainbows... would the place I purchased the TV pick it up, or do I have to haul it back myself if I do decide to return it?
Most B&M stores will arange a time to come and pick up your set. Of course if you have a truck you could return it yourself, but I would advise a person to let them pick it up. Once you decide you want to return the set, you might want to go back to store and check out another set and decide if you want an exchange or just a refund, if you want an exhange they can deliver the new set to you while picking up the old one.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Oh, since we are actually talking about sets and not just why not to buy... I must say that the Mits 62525 had a great picture. I did a novice level calibration using DVE. The set looked excellent on HD from Comcast, very good on DVDs from a crappy DVD recorder, and acceptable on oversized SD. In fact during the week that I had it I watched quite a few shows in SD and didn't mind the bars on the left and right nor the appearance. It was just as good as my CRT just so big I could see the graininess easier. I know cause I ran them side by side for a little bit.

In regards to the shiny screen. It is very shiny. When the TV is off it is almost like a black mirror. When the TV is on during the day with the drapes open it is fine with light not shining directly on it. When the sun was at an angle to shine on it, had to close the drapes cause I couldn't see the screen. I personally liked the way the shiny screen gave it that extra punch that made it seem more like a CRT (Better blacks although you get the glare too). It was my favorite of all the DLPs.

I am currently trying to decide between maybe a Hitachi 60VS810/915 or a Sony 60XS955 or WF. The Hitachi is very sexy looking.

In any case I think I am just going to wait until Christmas time. I don't watch football... Then I will get meself a nice big t.v. and pretend it came from Santa.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Folks, thanks for all the comments. Guess what I just did? Yep, pulled the trigger. Yessir, the credit card is currently in the ER being administered CPR :( while I can't wait until Fri to take delivery! :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.