AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Mitsubishi SR-500 Directv receiver. I have a 100 signal strength on all local channels (except KABC which is always at 65). When I change channels to a directv channel and move back to a Local Digital channel my signal strength drops by 20-25 %. I then have to rescan local channels to get my 100 signal strength back. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I'm assuming you are saying that your signal strength meter is reading 75-80% when you switch back to a local DTV station. If that's correct then you shouldn't have to rescan to get 100%. On my Mits STB 50% is good enough to display. Having 75-80% should give you good results too. Now, if you are saying that you don't get a signal when you switch back to a local and still have a signal above 75% then it sounds like something is wrong with the STB.

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
I seem to remember something like this being reported before but I don't remember the specifics. Have you tried unplugging the box for a minute and then plugging it back in?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When I go from a OTA channel (2-1 for example which I have 100 signal strength) to a DTV channel (CNN for example) then immediately back to 2-1 all of my OTA channels are at 65-70 and I get breakup. I then rescan the local channels (it takes 5 minutes) and all of my OTA local channels are back to 100 strength.

Same thing happens when I check the signal strength through the source section of the install menu. 100 on ota channels 90 on 101, 90 on 110, 85 on 119. When I then go back to 2-1 and the others signal strength is 65-70.

I have rebooted the receiver serveral times. I will try to unplug and see what happens.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Are you using a UHF only antenna? What might be happening is that you get 100% signal strength when you are tuned in to the digital stations (2.1 for example). After you switch to DirectTV, and then back, your tuner may be tuning in to the analog station (VHF channel 2 over the antenna, rather than the UHF channel that contains KCBS-DT), which gives you a lower signal reading because you are tuned to a VHF signal being received over a UHF antenna. Just a thought.

Ron

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by greywolf
I seem to remember something like this being reported before but I don't remember the specifics. Have you tried unplugging the box for a minute and then plugging it back in?
It was I who reported a somewhat similar problem with an HD5 and four E86s.

Just as I was about to swap receivers once again, I decided to try your oft recommended fan solution. That was six weeks ago. Problem eliminated (knock wood). Thank you.

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by wjbjr
It was I who reported a somewhat similar problem with an HD5 and four E86s.

Just as I was about to swap receivers once again, I decided to try your oft recommended fan solution. That was six weeks ago. Problem eliminated (knock wood). Thank you.
You're welcome. It feels good to be useful as well as decorative.:)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What is the oft-mentioned fan solution? I am ready to try anything at this point. I have been able to trick the receiver by finding the one channel that is always 100 strength. Anytime I switch from 2-1 to 202 and then back to 2-1 I lose 25% of the signal strength. Here comes the breakups! I them tune to 75-1 (KTLA) and back to 2-1 and I have my 100 strength signal again. I would rather find a permanent solution.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
By the way, I am using a UHF antenna only (the winegard pr-8800). How can I program the receiver to ignore the OTA VHF channels? I don't have them marked in the local channels area.

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jeffcub
What is the oft-mentioned fan solution?
One link is http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&highlight=fan

A search for fan in the hardware section will have a lot of hits.

If the channel problem is that keying in a channel number takes you to a channel you don't have or want, direct keying takes you to the first instance of that channel and you can't do anything about it except stick to digital channels with the #-# format which are unique.

It it's about customizing the guide, use the Channel Lists option and/or uncheck the undesired channels in the Setup Menu/Installation/Local area.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I am using an already owned 8" desk fan placed behind the E86 STB and blowing at low speed across the top. I cannot hear it when the audio is on. The STB is not even warm to the touch.

Such fans are available at Office Depot, etc, for $10-15. I believe that greywolf uses some sort of computer fan.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.