AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recorded several shows this evening on my Showstopper but when I watched them there were severe problems with the video and sound. The shows would just freeze for a second or even give a black screen for a moment and then continue. The audio would freeze along with the video. Does anyone know what the problem could be? I'd like to avoid replacing the hardrive unless that is the only solution.

Thanks.

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
What's the software version of the showstopper? It sounds like a problem with either the HD, the encoder, or both.

Tough to say without seeing it myself.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Lefty4
The shows would just freeze for a second or even give a black screen for a moment and then continue. The audio would freeze along with the video
Very odd. Showstoppers can fail in both these ways but I haven't known it to happen at the same time.

Picture and sound freeze for a few seconds then play for a few seconds and repeat (especially when watching delayed live TV) is a common hard drive failure. Replacing the drive corrects the problem 95% of the time.

All inputs tune to black is an encoding problem I.E. failure within the motherboard. I have replacements motherboards if needed.

If the recording source is cable box or dish receiver make sure the output signal is good before looking at the showstopper.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
"Picture and sound freeze for a few seconds then play for a few seconds and repeat (especially when watching delayed live TV) is a common hard drive failure. Replacing the drive corrects the problem 95% of the time."

This is exactly what happens. I guess it is time to replace the hardrive. I know there are tons of posts about upgrading or replacing hardrives, but can someone just answer these two questions.

1) Since my old hardrive has failed, can I still use it to set-up the new drive. I don't have any shows on it that I want to save. I just want to know if using the old drive makes the process easier.

2) Can somone provide a link for the best directions regarding replacing a drive. Step by step directions would make life a whole lot easier.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
You may be able to use the old drive, however, if RTVPatch reports errors you will have to use a downloaded image. Here is a link to the upgrade directions http://rtvpatch.sourceforge.net/utility.html choose the link (near the middle of the page) that corresponds with the operating system on the PC you'll be using.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mikeboy,

Thanks for the advice and the link. It seesm pretty simple for upgrading from one drive to the other. However, if my drive does have errors, where are the instructions for creating a new drive from a downloaded image?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.