AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally getting with the times and going digital, but, I've got a few issues. I knew what I wanted but did not have a lot to spend. I wanted a Roku Soundbridge, so, it's on order. I wanted a decent sized, flash memory driven MP3 player so I have a Sansa Flash on order.

I don't need opinions on the devices. I've already done MOST of my homework. I just need help making them work.

The MP3 player will mostly be used in my car, the Roku will be connected to my primary home audio system. The MP3 player does not support lossless but I want the best possible for home.

That said, can I rip everything lossless, copy the folder and then paste that to another folder and some how change everything to MP3? As you can tell, I don't know a lot about how to make this work, so, basic terms please

If there is no way to do both without major headaches, what is the best format that I can use for both?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
It would seem to make the most sense to rip to wav, then convert that to lossless (flac seems to be the most popular) and also convert the wav to mp3. The AVS Forum won't let me paste url's until I have posted here three times, so the urls in this message need to have www. added to beginning of them. Here's what I would do for maximum mp3 quality:

Get the newest LAME mp3 encoder at
free-codecs.com/download_soft.php?d=5195&s=22

Download, unzip, and that will give you a lame.exe file.

Now get a graphical user interface, called RazorLame, that uses lame.exe, at
dors.de/razorlame/razorlame.zip

Unzip the RazorLame archive to a folder. Copy lame.exe into that folder, so now you should have RazorLame.exe and lame.exe in the same folder. Run RazorLame, click the LAME button, click the Expert tab, checkmark "Only use custom options" (this will disable a lot of RazorLame's options since it is now looking at this box for them) and in the "Custom options" box, to achieve the best possible quality, put

-b 320 -m j -q 0

This will set the bitrate to the maximum, 320, set the stereo mode to joint stereo, which is arguably better than stereo or dual stereo for most purposes, and set the algorithm quality to 0, which is best (and slowest). A quality value of 9 is the fastest but the worst sounding.

One slight step down from this setting, which I prefer, is

-vbr--new -V 0 -m j -q 0

which means to use the new variable bitrate mode, use the highest VBR target bitrate setting, use joint stereo, and use the highest algorithm quality setting. This vbr setting produces files that are about 3/4 the size of 320kbps files. Go to
multimediasoft.com/asrec/help/asrec_00003f.htm

for more Lame command line options.

I am using the "Custom options" box instead of the sliders/dropdowns etc., because RazorLame doesn't set the quality (q value) to 0, even when you go to LAME options->Advanced->Optimization->Quality. This setting produces a "-h" in the Lame Options box, which is equivalent to q 2. Now, q 2 is recommended by Lame, it's very good and probably indistinguishable from q 0, but we want the absolute best quality.

Click OK, load some wav files into RazorLame's main window (don't forget you can drag and drop), and click Encode. It will not show the progress for each song, just for the whole batch, and it only updates its progressbar when it finishes a song. One convenient thing is to go to LAME options->Advanced->Filing->Delete source file after processing. Have fun!

·
Registered
233 Posts
I would use iTunes to rip lossless files in Apple Lossless(ALAC) or Windows Media Player to rip WMA lossless, then get dbpoweramp which has a batch covert feature that can convert the lossless files into MP3's which will be much faster than re-ripping MP3's with the CD.

I would be careful ripping to FLAC b/c on the Roku website it says that it doesn't support FLAC files unless you install some third party software. Definately want to try that out first to make sure it works ok. There is a lot of enthusiasm for FLAC on this website. Not really sure why.

Great decision to ditch the CD's. I love listening to music and never want to sit there and change out CD's again!

Another fun website that has a lot of content on this topic is www.head-fi.org . Enjoy!

·
Registered
233 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Courdabedum /forum/post/16965863

It would seem to make the most sense to rip to wav, then convert that to lossless (flac seems to be the most popular) and also convert the wav to mp3.

Why convert to WAV first when you can rip to lossless then convert to MP3? Sounds like an extra step.

·
Registered
508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadci /forum/post/16957293

I wanted a decent sized, flash memory driven MP3 player so I have a Sansa Flash on order.

Thanks!

What is a Sansa Flash? I know the Sansa Clip and Sansa Fuze both support FLAC lossless files, and I think the other models do also. The Roku needs third party software for FLAC, you might also want to look at a Squeeezebox Duet which has native FLAC support.

I eaither case you can just rip to FLAC and use on both systems

·
Registered
2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCoast02 /forum/post/16969132

Why convert to WAV first when you can rip to lossless then convert to MP3? Sounds like an extra step.

Seems like the free transcoders never go from flac to mp3. I looked at winLame and RazorLame, and they only go from wav or mp3 to mp3. I googled it and found several people in forums saying you had to go to wav first. I knew there must be one, but since I wanted Chadci to use RazorLame because it had the ability to set q=0 on the command-line for Lame (because I assumed he wanted the absolute best mp3 quality since he already used flac) and since RazorLame only accepted wav files, I figured Chadci could rip to wav and convert to flac and mp3.

It is an extra step. I downloaded the really popular EAC to see if it would go to flac then if it would convert flac to mp3 but it didn't look like it would. I see now that you can direct it to an external flac encoder, but I still don't see a flac to mp3 converter on EAC.

I'd heard of dbPowerAmp but never tried it. Well, I did a minute ago and it rips to flac, then has a batch converter to go to mp3, but like most programs, it doesn't let me specify q=0 for lame. It has a "high quality" setting, but that might map to q=2 like it does with other programs. For dBpoweramp to claim "CD Ripping for those who take ripping seriously" and "audio conversion perfected", you'd think they'd give experts access to the over 90 options in Lame instead of just a few.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I'm not sure this matters, but with the latest firmware updates the Cowon S9 has gapless playback for any lossless format it plays, and for lame-encoded lossy MP3s as well.

·
Registered
508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadci /forum/post/16975736

Sorry, it's a Sansa View.

I ripped about 12gb worth of CDs over the weekend:

Maybe switch to a Sansa Fuze, or if you want video, try Cowon or Iriver, they both support FLAC.

Yea, ripping as a pain, but if you do it a little at a time it works out OK. One more thing you may need, Get a program called mp3tag. Its free and it does a great job of editing the tags on you ripped files.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey guys, sorry for the slow reply it's been a busy week.

I ended up not doing lossless. I ripped off a song in a few different formats and settled for MP3 at 320... and it's fine. I have a pretty wide variety of music on there and have not noticed any thing really wrong with it.

I am wondering though, my Sansa is 16gb and after I got everything loaded on there I have right at 4gb left, that'll fill up quick so I want to get one of the 16gb Micro SD cards for it. Does anybody know of the songs on the card will shuffle with the cards on the player or will it be like 2 seperate lists of music?

Thanks again for all of your tips!

·
Registered
233 Posts
320kbps will sound good. You made the right choice for the device you had.

I could really only hear the difference between high kbps MP3 and lossless with a decent set of headphones and a very quiet room. The fact is most of us spend time listening to our MP3 players anywhere but quiet rooms! We listen to them on the subway, walking with traffic around, or running. When at home I listen to lossless files on the home stereo or use CD's.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yep, I agree. I decided against the Roku as well. I can continue listening to the CD or vinly when I have a chance to sit and listen but that's rare these days. We started a kitchen remodel today, worked for a solid 8 hours, put the Sansa on shuffle and never gave it a second thought. Tha's why I bought it. With CD I had to stop what I was doing often and shuffle mode is GREAT!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.