AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckard97  /t/1526370/lossless-audio-or-1080p-what-do-you-guys-favor-more#post_24581872

Hi fellas, I'd like to get a view opinions regarding this topic:

What was the main attraction you guys had for getting Blu-ray? The improvement of video ( up converted 1080i to native 1080p )

OR

Was the improvement of the audio codecs ( lossless audio DTS-MA ) more enticing?

Have a great day guys!

You might want to present this as a survey

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Arnold! I'm fairly new to this site, how can I create a survey on this topic? talk to ya soon,

Bri

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckard97  /t/1526370/lossless-audio-or-1080p-what-do-you-guys-favor-more#post_24582163

Thanks Arnold! I'm fairly new to this site, how can I create a survey on this topic? talk to ya soon,

Bri

Good question.

AVS calls surveys "polls".

If you create a thread, or presumably if you started a thread and thus control it, there is a box for adding a poll to the thread near the bottom of the page.

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
I rent blu-rays because I don't have enough internet speed and bandwidth to stream movies. One of the few disadvantages of living in the country. If I could, I would stream them.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm  /t/1526370/lossless-audio-or-1080p-what-do-you-guys-favor-more#post_24582212

I was here at the birth of both HD DVD and Blu-ray. By far the 6X the resolution courtesy of 1080p was the motivator and excitement factor. You can see my excitement in this post days before the release of these formats: http://www.avsforum.com/t/666581/boy-are-we-in-for-a-treat .

Boy does it bring back fond memories. Thanks for posting this question

Your welcome! It's been quite a thrill ride the past 8 years. I hope Blu-ray stays strong for a long time! Enjoy!

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMW  /t/1526370/lossless-audio-or-1080p-what-do-you-guys-favor-more#post_24582216

I rent blu-rays because I don't have enough internet speed and bandwidth to stream movies. One of the few disadvantages of living in the country. If I could, I would stream them.

IME streaming can't hold a candle to a good clean BD disc. Trouble is a lot of movies are so muddy that they wouldn't even tax the DVD format.

·
Registered
7,480 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk  /t/1526370/lossless-audio-or-1080p-what-do-you-guys-favor-more#post_24582428

IME streaming can't hold a candle to a good clean BD disc. Trouble is a lot of movies are so muddy that they wouldn't even tax the DVD format.

It holds a small candle. I watch 720 video with old Dolby surround codecs every day on satellite TV. I don't think it is bad at all. I don't think DVD's are that bad either. Truthfully, I have more interest in the content than the resolution. It is good enough that I would stream it if I could.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm  /t/1526370/lossless-audio-or-1080p-what-do-you-guys-favor-more#post_24582212

I was here at the birth of both HD DVD and Blu-ray. By far the 6X the resolution courtesy of 1080p was the motivator and excitement factor. You can see my excitement in this post days before the release of these formats: http://www.avsforum.com/t/666581/boy-are-we-in-for-a-treat .

Boy does it bring back fond memories. Thanks for posting this question

Interesting. Oddly enough, it was the format war itself that led me to AVS. I waited and waited for the war to end before buying. Finally, by September 2007 I couldn't hold out any longer and picked a side -- HD-DVD. By the following February, Toshiba conceded, and I bought my first BDP a few months later.

Anyway, it was the PQ that interested me. Still is, but I do appreciate a really well recorded and engineered sound mix too.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Of the two I choose sound. My KURO 1150hd is 720p and pretty much blows most screens out of the water. Sound really makes the difference.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rongallant  /t/1526370/lossless-audio-or-1080p-what-do-you-guys-favor-more#post_24611192

Of the two I choose sound. My KURO 1150hd is 720p and pretty much blows most screens out of the water. Sound really makes the difference.

You took the words right out of my mouth...! Please take part in the poll, it's great to see others like myself appreciate the sound quality and dynamics of Blu-ray over the video.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Not a binary thing for me. As I write this I'm listening to (HD Master) the Return To Forever Live At Montreux BD while the video plays on a 19" monitor. Later today I'm hoping to repeat it but this time on my 105" screen at 1080P.

So the answer is....It Depends on the circumstances.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by David James  /t/1526370/lossless-audio-or-1080p-what-do-you-guys-favor-more#post_24612877

Not a binary thing for me. As I write this I'm listening to (HD Master) the Return To Forever Live At Montreux BD while the video plays on a 19" monitor. Later today I'm hoping to repeat it but this time on my 105" screen at 1080P.

So the answer is....It Depends on the circumstances.

Yes, It most certainly does....

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
FWIW

With my 42 in (OMG is's so ancient) display at my seating distances, I probably cannot distinguish 1080 versus 720.

Although to some extent, having the higher resolution for both video and audio lets me not sit and worry about the resolution of the playback medium and simply enjoy the movie (or not, depending on the title). I frankly suspect that the psychological improvements outweigh the practical improvements at least 80 percent of the time, but I'm happy to have the reduced psychological drag on my experience . . . . To my potential credit I hardly ever look at the video bitrate in the middle of a movie anymore . . . .

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the feedback! Please feel free to take part in my poll- ( link in my initial post )

My cousin has a 720p pioneer Elite 50"....was the best flat panel available at the time. His listening/viewing position is 10ft from the screen. So he went out and bought a nice sony Blu-ray player, then connected it to his updated pioneer elite AVR with the new codecs. ( DTS-MA ) and here's the result:

Essentially, to make a long story short, the video looked AWESOME despite not using a 1080p display. The audio however, was MUCH better than anything on a DVD. Especially if you own 25k in audio gear like my cousin;). So the superior ( lossless audio ) was more enjoyable than the video enhancements ( 1080p ). But that's just from my perspective.....

Cheers!

B

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
I don't consider either one very important. The differences between them and the lower definition characteristics are subtle, certainly not critical. My old AV receiver doesn't even decode lossless audio. My blu ray player does. Yet I let the AV receiver handle decoding. Minor issue. Really minor.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I find 1080p very noticable. However I've failed in discerning the difference between 256 files with FLAC. This was tested with grado rs1 and sennheisser hd700. I think my ears just arent trained to know what i'm looking for. Might try this test again with my speakers. Maybe my listening has become more critical over the years. Im mot sure if lossless would make much more difference.

·
Banned
185 Posts
720p to 1080p hasn't moved me much, but the benefits in 1080 over 720 are clearly visible, more often than not, at least to me. HD video, as a whole pulled me back into audio, as it reintroduced an old love of watching live concerts. HD video plus less compressed audio codecs as a team, are what brought me back home. But, audio is what I'm referring to as home, the video quality is secondary to me when experiencing either a DVD or Blu-ray recording of a live concert.

DVD & Blu-ray brought about convenience, access and selection that had been lacking for a term, improvements in digital audio codecs, are what continue to fuel my love affair with audio.

Great question - thanks for posting it!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts