AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently run an HSU 3.3 with turbo, and thx select certified in wall speakers for my 7.1 home theater. I have the Sony 550 Blu Ray Player, and the Toshiba A-30 HDDVD player. I have an Onkyo 804 receiver, and I have been in sub woofer bliss, ever since my HSU arrived. A lot of you guys recommend dual subs as opposed to adding just an mbm-12. Now that I am listening to True HD tracks and DTS MA, I feel like the mid bass disappeared. If I am happy with what the 3.3 with turbo does in a 5000 cubic foot room, then would just the MBM do the trick to add the lack of mid bass.?

Thanks for your advice,

Christopher

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem13 /forum/post/15567634

The problem is likely in the AVR setup menu. Are you using HMDI Audio or Analog Direct from the 550?

analog direct from the 550

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem13 /forum/post/15567714

Did you adjust the Sub sensitivity as outlined on page 59 of the manual?

I am not sure what you mean.. My 804 manual on that page doesn't say anything about sensitivity. What should it be set to? Do you mean boosting, etc?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang /forum/post/15567729

For the analog direct.....7.1 analog input......where is the bass management being handled?

I am not sure of this as well. I would think my 804 is doing it.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem13 /forum/post/15567767

In the DVD mutichannel setup menu, you can set the sub sensitivity at 0,+5,+10 and +15. Where's it at now?

It is set to 0

·
Registered
15,020 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccarzoo /forum/post/15567748

I am not sure of this as well. I would think my 804 is doing it.

You need to make sure that the 804 applies bass management to the multichannel input...many/most receivers do not.

If that is the case, you need to implement bass management on the Sony.

What speakers do you use?

·
Registered
3,995 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang /forum/post/15567864

You need to make sure that the 804 applies bass management to the multichannel input...many/most receivers do not.

If that is the case, you need to implement bass management on the Sony.

What speakers do you use?

I've got the 804 manual in pdf on my browser and it looks like bass management availabe on all inputs but the 804 doesn't set the xover in setup mode/calibration??? WTF.

I knew i hate onkyo for a reason!

550 gives you large or small that's it !

I knew i hated Sony for a reason!

·
Registered
30,800 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem13 /forum/post/15567918

I've got the 804 manual in pdf on my browser and it looks like bass management availabe on all inputs but the 804 doesn't set the xover in setup mode/calibration??? WTF.

I knew i hate onkyo for a reason!

550 gives you large or small that's it !

I knew i hated Sony for a reason!
He chose poorly. Few AVRs will do bass management on the MCH analog input so that's not really an Onkyo problem. BRDPs vary widely in their bass management facilities.

So, why is he not using the HDMI connection?

Italics indicate edit changes.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson /forum/post/15567982

You chose poorly. Few AVRs will do bass management on the MCH analog input so that's not really an Onkyo problem. BRDPs vary widely in their bass management facilities.

So, why are you not using the HDMI connection?

I don't have the 804, the Op does and bass managment is available on the analog direct input. I just pulled up the manual to help him out. Anything else constructive to his problem??

·
Registered
30,800 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem13 /forum/post/15568003

I don't have the 804, the Op does and bass managment is available on the analog direct input. I just pulled up the manual to help him out. Anything else constructive to his problem??

Sure. Why is he not using the HDMI connection instead of the MCH analogs? Then, he would be able to use the 804's bass management and auto setup.

·
Registered
15,020 Posts
I have the manual up now too. What page does it say that BM is applied to the MCH inputs?

Kal's question is good.....why not use the HDMI connection?

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Are you not reading something. The 804 DOES have bass management for analog direct. It does not set the xover during calibration/setup in ANY input mode. He has made the right choice with anaolg over hdmi, the Onkyo is plagued with lossless decoding issues that have since been almost resolved in the 06 series. Are you willing to help here or what? As a contibuting editor, you are probobly aware of sub sensitivity issues with lossless formats, which is the most proboble variable that has changed since the OP DID NOT have any issues with bass before adding the BD.

·
Registered
30,800 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem13 /forum/post/15568065

Are you not reading something. The 804 DOES have bass management for analog direct.

Where does it say that? I did not see it.

Quote:
It does not set the xover during calibration/setup in ANY input mode.

Really? See page 42 where it lists:
Auto Speaker Setup

========================

1.Warning

2.Speaker Config

3.Speaker Distance

4.Speaker Level Adjust

5.Equalizer Settings

Quote:
He has made the right choice with anaolg over hdmi, the Onkyo is plagued with lossless decoding issues that have since been almost resolved in the 06 series. Are you willing to help here or what? As a contibuting editor, you are probobly aware of sub sensitivity issues with lossless formats, which is the most proboble variable that has changed since the OP DID NOT have any issues with bass before adding the BD.

Sure and there is an optional compensation for that. See page 57.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Which i directed the OP to in post 9 and 10.

I doesn't say it's available...maybe you're right. It makes a reference to options available to all input modes but fails to say it doesn't do bass managment either? You would figure a footnote expaining this could be found if it didn't?

Again...WTF?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts