AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to find an easier way to rip DVD TV shows without loss of quality. Currently I am ripping each individual episode to Video_TS. This format works great but unfortunately none of the metagrabbers out there will grab for this format making it a huge pain in the ass.

I've tried MKV which is incredibly easy to rip with however it seems that you cannot FFW/RWD and loose chapter selection. (from my experience?) It is basically un-usable in my opinion because of this.

As far as I can tell .avi is not a lossless format but perhaps my research has failed me.

Is there some format out there that will work for me?

·
Registered
1,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatInTheHat /forum/post/16853559

For what you're looking for, transcoding to MKV with MakeMKV is the best way to go. There is nothing about the container that prevents you from fast forwarding or rewinding, and it does keep chapter break data. What are you using to play back the files? I suspect the problem is there.

·
Premium Member
16,136 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBobb /forum/post/16853844

all u have to do is to DEMUX them from the VOB.

This is exactly what MakeMKV does, no re-encoding is involved: demux video/audio/subtitle streams (with chapters) from the VOBs and remux them into a MKV. In fact MakeMKV lacks the ability to re-encode video/audio, good or bad (good for the people who want 100% original quality).

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
i use make mkv, from what i see its the same exact video quality, and the sound is preserved as well.

also the 30 skip forward and 7 back, still works, just no ffd/rwd.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatInTheHat /forum/post/16853559

I am trying to find an easier way to rip DVD TV shows without loss of quality. Currently I am ripping each individual episode to Video_TS. This format works great but unfortunately none of the metagrabbers out there will grab for this format making it a huge pain in the ass.

I've tried MKV which is incredibly easy to rip with however it seems that you cannot FFW/RWD and loose chapter selection. (from my experience?) It is basically un-usable in my opinion because of this.

As far as I can tell .avi is not a lossless format but perhaps my research has failed me.

Just rip each episode in a single .vob with something like DDMFrip (simple batch file that use DVDDecrypter to rip each episode), then rename those episode so they read like this where is the name of your serie:

- SxxExx.vob

Put all the episode of a season at the root of a folder named:

Then use MediaScout, point it to the serie folder and press fetch data. Bingo you have the metadata and MediaScout save them all in subfolder per season.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferax /forum/post/16854341

Just rip each episode in a single .vob with something like DDMFrip (simple batch file that use DVDDecrypter to rip each episode), then rename those episode so they read like this where is the name of your serie:

- SxxExx.vob

Put all the episode of a season at the root of a folder named:

Then use MediaScout, point it to the serie folder and press fetch data. Bingo you have the metadata and MediaScout save them all in subfolder per season.

For example i'm using DVDShrink and this is what a folder might look like:

VIDEO_TS.BUP

VIDEO_TS.IFO

VTS_01_0.BUP

VTS_01_0.IFO

VTS_01_1.VOB

I can simply rename the .vob and remove the extra files?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by candre23 /forum/post/16853627

For what you're looking for, transcoding to MKV with MakeMKV is the best way to go. There is nothing about the container that prevents you from fast forwarding or rewinding, and it does keep chapter break data. What are you using to play back the files? I suspect the problem is there.

I used haali splitter with the DivX tech preview to get the MKV's to play within Media Browser/Media Center. I lost FFW/RWD Chp skip. Suggestions?

·
Registered
1,603 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatInTheHat /forum/post/16855694

For example i'm using DVDShrink and this is what a folder might look like:

VIDEO_TS.BUP

VIDEO_TS.IFO

VTS_01_0.BUP

VTS_01_0.IFO

VTS_01_1.VOB

I can simply rename the .vob and remove the extra files?

The .VOB is the episode. It is in fact a mpeg2 file renamed to vob.

It is the only one you need really.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferax /forum/post/16856792

The .VOB is the episode. It is in fact a mpeg2 file renamed to vob.

It is the only one you need really.

Interesting, thank you. So i'll just go ahead and re-rip all my stuff in DVDShrink and select the 1 vob file option and then rename the file to the appropriate syntax.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts

Quote:
Interesting, thank you. So i'll just go ahead and re-rip all my stuff in DVDShrink and select the 1 vob file option and then rename the file to the appropriate syntax.

Simply renaming vob files to mpeg can sometimes cause problems because the header is not correct. I run the vob file through the freeware app VOB2MPEG (~2 min) to create a perfect mpeg file that will play on any mpeg software or hardware player.

Tring google "ripping episodes from a tv series dvd" or similar. I know I have seen a thread somewhere (I can't rember where) that had an simple, elegant solution that ripped multiple episodes into single, properly named files.

BB

·
Registered
1,603 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbird999 /forum/post/16863108

Simply renaming vob files to mpeg can sometimes cause problems because the header is not correct. I run the vob file through the freeware app VOB2MPEG (~2 min) to create a perfect mpeg file that will play on any mpeg software or hardware player.

Tring google "ripping episodes from a tv series dvd" or similar. I know I have seen a thread somewhere (I can't rember where) that had an simple, elegant solution that ripped multiple episodes into single, properly named files.

BB

In about 250 episode that I did like that I never had a single problem.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts

Quote:
In about 250 episode that I did like that I never had a single problem.

YET!

Seriously though, I don't believe it is a big issue and I also think it is related to the particular software or hardware player that you use to play the files. In my case, on my, now aged, Linkplayer2, it often choked/froze or had issues with FF/REW on vob files that were simply renamed to mpg. Researching the problem indicated that it was due to issues with the timestamp in the header. The files played flawlessly when I ran them through VOB2MPG. VideoReDo also does the same thing (rewrites the header) as well being a kickass mpeg editor.

Modern hardware players (Popcornhour etc) handle vob and/or iso files so there is no need to convert them to mpg.

But if you do rename a vob and it misbehaves, vob2mpg might fix it.

BB

·
Registered
1,603 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbird999 /forum/post/16863646

YET!

Seriously though, I don't believe it is a big issue and I also think it is related to the particular software or hardware player that you use to play the files. In my case, on my, now aged, Linkplayer2, it often choked/froze or had issues with FF/REW on vob files that were simply renamed to mpg. Researching the problem indicated that it was due to issues with the timestamp in the header. The files played flawlessly when I ran them through VOB2MPG. VideoReDo also does the same thing (rewrites the header) as well being a kickass mpeg editor.

Modern hardware players (Popcornhour etc) handle vob and/or iso files so there is no need to convert them to mpg.

But if you do rename a vob and it misbehaves, vob2mpg might fix it.

BB

Note the fact that I wrote it in the past tense. Now I rip them with DDMFrip and encode them in MP4 with Nero Recode 3 with a bitrate of 2.59mbps and you'd be really nitpicking to find a difference from the original file on my 106" screen.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatInTheHat /forum/post/16873513

I can't seem to find this anywhere

Sorry, I wasn't very clear. I assumed you were following Nosferax' instructions in post #6 and using MediaScout to organize your folder structure and metadata before running MediaBrowser. The advice I gave you was referring to the settings in MediaScout, not MediaBrowser.

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
Vob files are simply mpeg2 files in a different wrapper. Any codec that will play an mpg file will (usually) also play a vob file. TV shows on DVD aren't necessarily isolated into individual vob files per episode. It all depends on what tool was used to author the DVD originally. Some episodic DVDs will have each episode as a separate vob file whereas others may have them run together. The maximum size for a vob file is 1GB so if you have shows that are larger than 1GB they will be split up into more than one contiguous vob file.

If the disc contains separate vob files for each episode then all you'd need to do is run each vob file through a program that will allow you to save is as an mpg file. Some codecs may not recognize vob files without the entire DVD structure intact (i.e. also has the associated ifo and bup files). VideoReDo allows you to convert (i.e., save as) vob files to mpg files as well as several other mpeg2 formats. It will also allow you to merge multiple vob files into one large file. VRD is the editing program of choice for lots of folks that work with recorded files from DVRs and HTPCs ans is well worth the cost of admission. You can download a full working trial version for 21 days IIRC. I bought my copy after using the trial version for only 2 or 3 days (yes, it's that good).

FWIW, you can also save the files as ts files (i.e., mpeg2 transport streams) using VRD. If you use BeyondTV (and possible SageTV as well), you can place the ts files in the folder where your recordings are stored and they'll show up in the Recorded Shows list. They can be played back just like any other recorded program using the BTV interface.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.