AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, need some help on my situation. I have a 6000 w/OTA module, and have an outside antenna w/ rotor. I live in Georgetown and have successfully received ch.36 out of Austin with 90% signal strength and ch.53 out of Waco with 80-85%. Over the weekend I was unable to get any of the OTA digital stations through the 6000. All of the analog channels still come in fine. Spent a couple of hours yesterday on the roof checking all my connections and antenna and still no luck. I even removed the digital channels and added them and could only get 50% from the Austin station. Any suggestions? The only thing I can think is the OTA module went bad or the stations dropped the transmit power. What do you think?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Are you still getting a satellite signal? I have read elswhere that the model 6000 will not receive OTA digital broadcasts unless it can detect a signal from one of the DISH Network satellites.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My satellite signal comes in fine, it is strictly the OTA digital channels that are gone.

·
Registered
212 Posts
karlpoe,

Wow, you too! I was actually going to send you a private msg asking you whether or not this happened to you too!

I used to get Austin's 36 at 75-81% and I did manage to pick up Waco's 53 at around 50-55%. On Saturday, I noticed that 36 dropped to a horrible 50%! I wasn't too concerned at I had the sat guy coming out to install a rotor and a much bigger and better antenna.

After my new setup was in place, I was still only getting the Austin station at 55% and Waco's at around 50%! This made no sense to me - how can I be picking up the local station so poorly with a large, roof-top antenna. And why is 36, which is much, much closer than 53, coming in at the same strength?

I too checked the antenna connections and I even tried an indoor UHF antenna - I go the same strengths. And then on Sunday morning I lost both stations alltogether! Not the slightest signal on either! And it still has not come back!

Obviously, our antennas are not the problem here... I was convinced that it was the 8vsb tuner, but since you experienced the same problem, I am now thinking it is the stations...

Anyone else have any input? Did something occur over the weekend here in the Austin area that could have caused this? Could both our 8vsb tuners be acting up?

Lord British

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fan still hums, but it is quieter than usual, maybe that's it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
There you go! Sounds like you guys need to contact your respective DTV broadcasters. There could be an issue on the transmission side. Unless you both have a DISH 6000 then there could be a software issue.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lord British, I was hoping I'd hear from you. It's not good that you're having the same problem, but at least we can rule out the equipment. I'm going to email the stations engineers and see whats up. I bet they dropped the power on the stations.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, at least I know it's not my equipment!

Here is the response from KWTX:

Quote:
KWTX-DT is off the air due to a problem with the RF system on the tower. We are waiting for a tower crew to check out the problem. We will probably be off the rest of the week.

·
Registered
212 Posts
karlpoe,

That is good to hear, but what about 53? Did you say that you lost that too? As of Sunday I wasn't receiving it any longer... I'll check again tonight.

Lord British

·
Registered
212 Posts
karlpoe,

I got 21 back at a very good signal strength (80-85%) but I still am not getting 53 at all... what's your status?

Also, last night while I was watching Leno in HD, the picture started flickering and cutting out, some garbage was displayed, and then the HD was lost! It reverted to SD which came in fine. This is the 2nd 8VSB that I've had, as the exact same thing happened last week which prompted me to replace it.

Has this ever happended to you while viewing Leno on 21? I am trying to determine whether it is the 8VSB tuner, my receiver, or the transmission itself.

Thanks!

Lord British

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.