AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have for some reason lost the ability to get ac3 and dts out of my spdif port to my receiver. I did not change any settings on the computer when this happened. I reinstalled on m/b sound driver, and installed new Windvd4platinum, nothing helped. Zoomplayer has the same behavior. I can get sound out the spdif if I tell the software to use analog out, or select PCM. The setup was working great. The motion seems jerky as well when there is no output.

My system:

P4 2.4g

P4PE Asus m/b with onboard audio

software as above

Denon 4802 works great with other spdif sources

Winxp latest update, tried rolling back, no diff

Any ideas??? Next step is reinstall the operating system.

Dan in Spokane

·
Registered
35 Posts
Deepsky,

I just built an HTPC with the P4PE yesterday, it might be something you checked already, but in the advanced controls under volume control, are AC3 SPDIF and PCM SPDIF checked? When I initially installed the drivers, only PCM SPDIF was checked. Hope this helps.

mjsuperman

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies, but I've tried both already. This is something really sneaky. Any other ideas out there???

TIA

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, I have reinstalled everything except the OS. The OS is very stable otherwise, and would prefer not to disturb it.

One clue seems to be that it is the waveout functionality that isn't working. If I turn off the spdif in windows, I can get 2 channel sound out. If it is on, then nothing.

I tried Zoomplayer Pro, and no improvement. It locks up unless I don't use spdif and waveout.

Dan in Spokane

·
Registered
405 Posts
Deepsky4565

You might find some answers at my thread
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=247144

I had the jerky motion problem that you describe in together with SPDIF out of sync problems Maybe both have to do with the Hardware acc of WINDVD platinum..... It seems that WINDVD forgets.. to use DirectX acc while Hardware acc is selected. Follow my hints and maybe you find a solution If you can't use the Windvd tweaker try to turn off the HARDWARE ACC of WINDVD (not the color acc) and then reselect the spdif out in the audio section...

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Leonidas,

no luck for me, I've tried every combination in WinDVDTweaker there.

Joe,

I do get sound, just no AC3 or DTS. Two channel only. Anaolog out is fine, but I want spdif.

I think there is some setting in the registry that is keeping waveout from passing bitstreams to the spdif.

Dan in Spokane

·
Registered
24 Posts
Dan, did you try turning off the Hardware Acceleration in WinDVD?

I had the exact same problem as you, no DD5.1 or DTS thru SPDIF, and turned off this (not color acceleration), and got it working now.

Now, it also works in Zoom Player. Never did that before..

·
Registered
686 Posts
Did you loose 5.1 sound after installing WM9? This happened to me, Media 9 doesn't uninstall under XP (just doing a restore point, which I was stupid enough not to :( ).

·
Registered
514 Posts
I have the same hardware/software setup. and just got the ac3 sp/dif to work for me today.

I reinstalled the AC3 Filter from Doom and set it to sp/dif.

Thats it. Now it works for both ZP (AVI and DVD) and TT and WinDVD.

Hope this solves your problem.

Henrik

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'm having similar problems. I am running Windows 2000 with SP2 installed. I originally had WinDVD3 with S/PDIF output working perfectly. Then I upgraded to WinDVD4 and S/PDIF no longer works. I can get PCM out through the optical port. Also, I have PowerDVD on the same system and DD/DTS are passed through the S/PDIF port just fine. So it's just a problem with WinDVD4.

Any suggestions?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.