AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just ordered a 47' LG LD450 LCD TV and wanted a bit of advice. It's not due to come into the store for a couple days and I got to thinking that maybe in the meantime I should do some more research. I'm more of an audio person and don't know as much about HDTVs. I'm upgrading from a 1080i 32' JVC LCD so anything is an upgrade for me. At first glance the specs seem good but I could be wrong, it's been a couple years since I last took a good look at TVs. Can anyone with some more knowledge about this give me the lowdown if I made a good choice? I got it for $750 CAD as I felt it was a great price for what you get. Part of me is a little worried I'll regret not getting an LED however. I can spend a bit more but if this is good bang for my buck and a great TV then I'm fine with that. Thanks in advance for any tips, never made a big TV purchase like this before and want to cover all my bases so I'll leave it to the experts

·
Registered
Display: TCL 65R617, AVR: Denon X2300W, Source: PS4 Pro, Fronts: Infinity Primus 250
3,018 Posts
Its an LG. I'm sure you'll be fine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I happened to be reading the holiday gift guide on high def digest and found it interesting that the LG 50' Plasma 50PK550 was mentioned as a really good value. I had said previously that I was a little concerned about plasma but should I be? The specs are miles ahead of the one I ordered and it's only $100 more so well within my price range. Would this be worth paying the difference? I'm a movie buff so that would be the primary use, PS3 gaming also a factor, I know plasmas are good for movies, don't know about gaming. My main question is would I see a big PQ difference between the 47LD450 vs the 50PK550 and is it now a safe bet with plasma improvements to go with one? Thanks

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Since I usually (not always) prefer the look of plasma, especially for movies, I would say you are on the right track with the PK550. The unit has received mostly excellent reviews as far as picture quality. One think to be aware of is a very reflective screen on the 550. In the right environment, this has got to be one of the best values out there. In the wrong environment (directly across from a picture window with bright sunlight), in could be almost unwatchable.

I am not familiar with the LCD you mention, but if it has a shiny glass screen instead of matte, it could result in the same problem.

·
Banned
196 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nramsay /forum/post/19511650

So I just ordered a 47' LG LD450 LCD TV and wanted a bit of advice. It's not due to come into the store for a couple days and I got to thinking that maybe in the meantime I should do some more research. I'm more of an audio person and don't know as much about HDTVs. I'm upgrading from a 1080i 32' JVC LCD so anything is an upgrade for me. At first glance the specs seem good but I could be wrong, it's been a couple years since I last took a good look at TVs. Can anyone with some more knowledge about this give me the lowdown if I made a good choice? I got it for $750 CAD as I felt it was a great price for what you get. Part of me is a little worried I'll regret not getting an LED however. I can spend a bit more but if this is good bang for my buck and a great TV then I'm fine with that. Thanks in advance for any tips, never made a big TV purchase like this before and want to cover all my bases so I'll leave it to the experts

You stated you could spend a bit more. Let's assume you can spend around $900.00. A 46" LED LCD will be around $1200.00 no matter which brand you choose, unless you go for a Vizio. Ughh! I think you found a great deal on the LG. LG received a good review this month in Sound & Vision, however, that was for the LE8500 series. I checked reviews on the model you ordered and there were good and bad customer reviews. The bad reviews were for units that stopped working and for a soft picture. Do some more research. Keep in mind that this is an important purchase for you. If you're going to spend some hard earned money, make sure you get something that has better reviews. Take a look at Sony or Samsung. Their HDTV's rate higher than the other brands. Good Luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts