AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seem to have misplaced my microphone for my Pio 45TX. Will any old microphone like the one that comes with my PC get the job done?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, my goal is to not spend money (especially $33 for a lousy mic). Is there something "special" about the pio mic that will make my pc mic useless in this regard?

·
Registered
157 Posts
It's likely your PC's mic will have different sound characteristics that may not allow the MCACC to realize it's full potential. Go to your dealer and request to borrow a mic from them. A little bit of hassle as you'll need to borrow whenever you run MCACC, but that should be infrequent.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DB1
It's likely your PC's mic will have different sound characteristics that may not allow the MCACC to realize it's full potential. Go to your dealer and request to borrow a mic from them. A little bit of hassle as you'll need to borrow whenever you run MCACC, but that should be infrequent.
Not only borrow, but get a cheap mic, run thr MCACC, record the settings, then use the borrowed mic for comparison....or ask someone on the forum to test this out. Unfortunately, I don't have anything to help you out with....

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ahh, good ideas. I think I'll try and do it this weekend and see what I come up with. I'm sure they have no use for the mic's that came with the floor models anyways.

I'll post up the results if/when I get them.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I can almost gaurentee you that the results will be different. Different mics have different response characteristics. (Akin to different speakers sound differently) I can almost gaurentee it will mess something up.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:
Originally posted by DigitalGriffin
I can almost gaurentee you that the results will be different. Different mics have different response characteristics. (Akin to different speakers sound differently) I can almost gaurentee it will mess something up.
Thats what I was afraid of... Oh well, maybe its time I convince my dad to upgrade to a Pio Elite and borrow his mic. :D

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
If you are the one who bought the 45TX demo from 6th Ave Electronics off ebay, you got a pretty good deal. Why not just cough up the extra $33 for the mic and be done with it? You might ask 5th Ave if they might have the mic somewhere and it should have been included. Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Don't do it!

I tried this when I lost my 49TX-i's mic - bad idea.

The frequency response of the pioneer mic is very specific - the differences between a generic RAT SHACK mike and the Pioneer are night and day on distance setting and speaker EQ calibration.

Just order it from Pio. Don't waste your time or money with another

unless of course you want to experiment.

Sean

·
Registered
111 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by eldithomaso
Don't do it!

I tried this when I lost my 49TX-i's mic - bad idea.

The frequency response of the pioneer mic is very specific - the differences between a generic RAT SHACK mike and the Pioneer are night and day on distance setting and speaker EQ calibration.

Just order it from Pio. Don't waste your time or money with another

unless of course you want to experiment.

Sean
ditto.. the mic i tried did some weird ju-ju on settings..

just spend the $ and don't go out to dinner one night.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:
Originally posted by juicy
ditto.. the mic i tried did some weird ju-ju on settings..

just spend the $ and don't go out to dinner one night.
Guess I should wait till after Valentine's Day before ordering it in that case. :p

Thanks for the help guys.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.