Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Well i finally purchased a screen. Got a 106" High Power. I (was) happy with my AE100 and DIY 96" grey screen but now with the bigger white screen, my 3D effect is gone. The picture is kind of lifeless. I don't think it's because of the High Power's brightness because the pj is mounted pretty high up so brightness is about the same as a matte white screen. Could it be that my pj's black level is showing it's weakness on the white screen? Is it time to upgrade to a high rez PJ?

Help....

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
Hmm, yeah it has to do with the contrast limitation of the PJ and the fact that the bigger you go, the less "pop" and depth the image will have.

I used to have the ae100 with a 106" Da Lite HCCV screen. The image had some depth. I then upgraded to the Sanyo Z1 in december and the image has A LOT more depth. It is a huge difference. My feeling si that the upgraded contrast is the main reason for this.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
He didn't go that much bigger (96" to 106"). The whole point of a grey screen is to enhance the black level. That's probably what made the change. A projector with better contrast would help, but the AE100 isn't exactly old. I think if you liked your old screen better, go back to using that and return the High Power, unless you have money burning a hole in your pocket.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I kind of need the high power because it's a pull down and i cannot tolerate waves. I went to the PJ shootout in austin, tx, and did notice that my AE100 looked VERY bad in the contrast dept. VS. the Z1. I explained that it looked nothing like this at my home. Maybe a combo of the contrast/white screen???

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
neog,

If you stand up on a chair and view the image on the High Power from right next to the projector (so that it is much brighter), how does it show? The contrast and/or black levels still lost?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I stood up just a couple times to check out the higher gain but did not think about what the image really looked like. I'll have to try that tonight. I'm thinking that the white screen killed my already crappy grey level. I could add though, that when i view a movie that is wider than the standard 16:9 (when i get black bars) the image suffers even more. it just looks washed out & no pop to it. When it fills the whole screen it is not as bad. I think that qualifies it as a contrast issue??...

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow, i just noticed that i'm a senior member!

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Quote:
I could add though, that when i view a movie that is wider than the standard 16:9 (when i get black bars) the image suffers even more. it just looks washed out & no pop to it. When it fills the whole screen it is not as bad.
That is the well-known and powerful psycho-visual effect of proper screen masking. You will see the same effect even with a CRT projector with zero-lumen blacks. That is why they always perfectly mask the unused sides by black curtains in the movie theater.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
I was also tempted by the high power, but decided to stay with a gray screen for exactly that reason. I love the 3D effect I'm getting with my HS10 and HCMW pull down.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
HTCrazy, i'm still not sure the Highpower is causing it though. It's basically a matte white screen because of the way i have it mounted. I think my PJ's limitations are seen here. BTW, do you get waves with the HCMW. I would have went with another screen if it wasn't for waves. (i can't see them on the HP)

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
neog, yes I do have waves on the HCMW but I don't notice them when actually watching movies. Everything else about it I really like. The 3d effect, colors, brightness etc. And for $240 for a 120" screen, its a great deal.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, i shrunk the picture last night and it still looks washed out. I'm almost positive it's a contrast issue. I also stood on my couch next to the pj and it still looks the same. I looks better during brighter scenes, but washed out on darker scenes, ie the beginning of LOTR. Any other thoughts?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh, I wanted to make another point that you all may find interesting. I know i'll get shot down for this but, screen door is less noticeable on this screen. The black lines are not as defined. Another testament of bad CR?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.