AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a cross-linked, would not boot drive problem. After pulling all the shows using the extract program, I did a low level format of the drive by using Seatools and doing a zero byte write to the entire drive.


Then I imaged the drive using the 530511440_factory_reset image.


Put the drive back in and all went well with the setup and functioning of the 5504 except for one thing....


I have no RePlay Zones. When I use the Zones button, I get a graphic I've never seen before. It says "Welcome to RePlay Zones" and a selection for "Welcome Zone" and "Create a theme"


Choosing Welcome zone gives a message saying "The Replayzones will be available following the next nightly update".


It's been several days and no update. I tried forcing an update which appears to run smoothly, but no change. I did notice that when I forced the update, the zones portion looked like it was updating 7 areas of zones, and if memory serves, it used to update 15 areas of zones.


Anyone see this before??
 

· Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwpl /forum/post/16850894


Maybe if you did a connect with the national number instead of the local it will update the zones.

You mean use the modem? I didn't even bother to hook up the phone line, but I could do that if no one else has any other ideas...It is certainly a thought.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, that was the ticket. Just to document what happened:


Hooked up the phone line and performed a Number search, the service returned the local numbers and I selected the appropriate one. The Replay did a connect at that point and did some data transfer, but the replay zones did not appear.


I forced a Net connect over the phone line, and this time the box did a full data connect and restored the Replay Zones. :)


Reset the box to connect via internet and all is good.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
2,050 Posts
I think the reality is that you never got a full net connect after the upgrade. When you first use the factory reset image, it will load up a lot of things, but doesn't load up everything. You then have to force a net connect after it is finished, and it will do more things, like upgrade the software, and get more data...


I don't know if you looked at your software version right after reinstalling the hard drive and after all the net connects, but it could be that the whole process never finished and by simply changing your connection you caused it to flush and reload. You migth have been able to accomplish the same thing by using 2-4-3-Zones to clear your channel guide, or by simply changing your ZIP code or video provider...


Henry
 

· Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdonzis /forum/post/16851687


I think the reality is that you never got a full net connect after the upgrade. When you first use the factory reset image, it will load up a lot of things, but doesn't load up everything. You then have to force a net connect after it is finished, and it will do more things, like upgrade the software, and get more data...


I don't know if you looked at your software version right after reinstalling the hard drive and after all the net connects, but it could be that the whole process never finished and by simply changing your connection you caused it to flush and reload. You migth have been able to accomplish the same thing by using 2-4-3-Zones to clear your channel guide, or by simply changing your ZIP code or video provider...


Henry

Thanks for the input. Just to document, After I noticed that the zones were missing, I tried a net connect from both the setup menu and from 243 zones, I also set my zip code to another zip and then after a net connect, reset the the zip to my correct one and tried another net connect. I also waited a couple of days as the message stated that the "nightly connect would install the zones" or something like that.


I did notice that the "messages" about "new features" and "DST changes" did not come up until the 2nd net connect


It truly was that the zones wouldn't appear until I did a net connect using my modem instead of ethernet. I do vaguely recall the the replay insisting that I submit my telephone number even though I had set for ethernet connection, but I hadn't bothered to connect the phone line.


But to your point, this is not the first time I have patched a drive...I'm not sure, but I don't think it is the first time I used a downloaded image instead of copying from a known drive...


And I don't recall having to have the modem hooked up before. Unfortunately or fortunately depending on your viewpoint, I don't do this quite often enough to remember each permutation I have used. So I can't say if this was a new situation or not.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
2,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbmix /forum/post/16854194


Thanks for the input. Just to document, After I noticed that the zones were missing, I tried a net connect from both the setup menu and from 243 zones, I also set my zip code to another zip and then after a net connect, reset the the zip to my correct one and tried another net connect. I also waited a couple of days as the message stated that the "nightly connect would install the zones" or something like that.

Changing the ZIP code the first time would actually do something. However, changing it back doesn't do anything. The RTV caches ALL of the ZIP codes that you access, so changing it back doesn't make it do anything special other than to reload the guide data for that ZIP code...


However, what I was talking about in the 2-4-3-Zones menu was clearing the channel guide. That clears the ZIP code cache as well and makes it reload the information for your ZIP code. So, assuming that part of the problem was that it never completed loading everything for your setup, using 2-4-3-Zones wipes out everything relevant (including the Zones) and reloads it fresh. If you clear the channel guide TWICE in a row, then it clears out the backup copy as well. So, using 2-4-3-Zones to clear the channel guide TWICE in a row would have reloaded all of the guide information and then you could have seen if that fixed your Zones problem or not...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbmix /forum/post/16854194


I did notice that the "messages" about "new features" and "DST changes" did not come up until the 2nd net connect

Yeah, that's what I was talking about. If you got the new messages, then it must have completed the update...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbmix /forum/post/16854194


It truly was that the zones wouldn't appear until I did a net connect using my modem instead of ethernet. I do vaguely recall the the replay insisting that I submit my telephone number even though I had set for ethernet connection, but I hadn't bothered to connect the phone line.

Again, that could have just been a side effect of changing your RTV configuration and having it want to reload things. Clearing the channel guide might have accomplished the same thing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbmix /forum/post/16854194


But to your point, this is not the first time I have patched a drive...I'm not sure, but I don't think it is the first time I used a downloaded image instead of copying from a known drive...

What you are describing (except for the Zones issue) is exactly how it should have happened. I've used that image many times...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbmix /forum/post/16854194


And I don't recall having to have the modem hooked up before. Unfortunately or fortunately depending on your viewpoint, I don't do this quite often enough to remember each permutation I have used. So I can't say if this was a new situation or not.

That's why I don't want to have this necessarily be documented as a way to fix up a Zones loading problem. The normal documented way to fix up any kind of guide issue is to use 2-4-3-Zones to clear the channel guide TWICE in a row. If that hadn't worked and then switching to the modem made the difference, then that would have been very worthwhile information!


Henry
 

· Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for that info.


'Tis odd though, don't you think that the setup would not complete using the ethernet connection, yet would complete without further ado using the modem connection?


Just for clarity, the new messages I received (DST - features) were received while I was still using the the ethernet connection and before I fired up the modem.


Oh well, all is working thanks to the many efforts of all those who have come before.


And thanks again to you, Henry for the xml creation that facilitates the show extracts playing on DVArchive.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
2,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbmix /forum/post/16855669


'Tis odd though, don't you think that the setup would not complete using the ethernet connection, yet would complete without further ado using the modem connection?

Yes, that's certainly odd. But, it isn't clear that it was using dialup versus Ethernet that did the trick versus that switching connections caused the guide cache to be flushed and that's what did the trick. You have to understand that the dialup connection and Ethernet connection are virtually the same. The dialup connection is simply dialup Internet (one person Internet) and once the connection is made it communicates with DNNA exactly the same...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbmix /forum/post/16855669


Just for clarity, the new messages I received (DST - features) were received while I was still using the the ethernet connection and before I fired up the modem.

Yes, that was clear to me, which is why I commented that it was clear that it finished the upgrade over Ethernet and, therefor, was strange that the Zones didn't complete as well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbmix /forum/post/16855669


And thanks again to you, Henry for the xml creation that facilitates the show extracts playing on DVArchive.

You're quite welcome! It's certainly been useful for me quite a few times, so I'm glad that it's help others as well!


Henry
 

· Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
I had the same trouble with a just-purchased used 4504 which had been reset to factory settings. The replay zones just showed a "welcome" screen and said the full content would be displayed after the next nightly update. But they weren't after a couple days. Many manual net connections with no luck. Several resets of the listings followed by manual update didn't help. As another has mentioned, on update it only tries to do 7 zones instead of 15.


So I hooked up a telephone line, changed to use the modem connection, and did a manual connect. It started as usual, and when it got to updating zones, started with 1 of 7. I thought that spelled failure. But somewhere after several zones were loaded it then said something like zone 6 of 15. It suddenly knew about the other zones. When the update finally finished, all the zones were in place and I switched back to Ethernet connection and all is well.


SOMETHING is different between a telephone download and an internet download.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top