AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a recent reboot (following the installation of new soundcard drivers and the disabling of some WinXP services based on the TweakXP guide), I lost one of my two COM ports. It no longer shows up in my Device Manager.

Previously, I'd been using both com ports to control serial devices (Panny plasma and Anthem AVM-2) via Girder's generic serial device plugin.

For some reason now only one COM port shows up in Device Manager, despite several reboots and plug-and-play scans.

Any idea what I could have done to screw this up? Could it be related to a BIOS setting?

Thanks,

Ken

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Right after the machine boots and POSTs, the BIOS should display a summary screen that will show what serial ports are enabled. You should see something like 3F8 and 2F8 for Com1 and Com2. If the BIOS doesn't show two ports, then you may need to go into BIOS setup to enable the port and set its address.

·
Wireless member
27,116 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by helzerr
Right after the machine boots and POSTs, the BIOS should display a summary screen that will show what serial ports are enabled. You should see something like 3F8 and 2F8 for Com1 and Com2. If the BIOS doesn't show two ports, then you may need to go into BIOS setup to enable the port and set its address.
Bingo, that's it. The first place I'd look to troubleshoot a missing COM port is the BIOS setup. helzerr's right, but the screen may zip by too fast to read. Have your finger hovering over the "pause" key and hit it as soon as it appears. "Esc" resumes the boot process.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.