AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On another forum, some peeps are talking about Lost Planet being one of the first 1080p Xbox 360 games. I guess apparently it lists 480p/720p/1080p on the back of the box or something like that. Supposedly Sonic the Hedgehog and Superman Returns says that same thing. I'm guessing that the native resolution for all 3 games is 720p, and that the box is just listing that as a possible resolution cause the 360 can upscale it to 1080p.

But I know you guys know the real deal, so what's the story?

·
Registered
861 Posts
The game will be upscaled to 1080P if your TV supports it.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoThru22 /forum/post/0

No game is 1080i (or p) yet.

... on the 360, at any rate.

I expect some Arcade titles, or perhaps less fancy multi-platform ports, might run at 1080 at some point in the future.

·
Registered
861 Posts
There really is no point to 1080P games. A 720P games with AA would probably look better.

·
Registered
28 Posts
As I work in the games industry I have a bit of experience with this...

going from 480 - 720 cuts your framerate in half.

If you have a game running at 60fps on 360 @ 480 - running it at 720 will cut your framerate down to 30fps

720p and 1080i have the exact same framerate in almost all cases..

going to 1080p will cut your framerate from 30fps to 15fps - unacceptable in games.

Some PS3 games are advertising [email protected] like ridge racer...

sure they may be outputting that but they are cheating - turning off shadows, lowering the draw distance, turning off reflections....

So in many cases 1080i upscaled to 1080p is probably a better experience than if a game made sacrifices to try to output 1080p..

·
Registered
191 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevek /forum/post/0

As I work in the games industry I have a bit of experience with this...

going from 480 - 720 cuts your framerate in half.

If you have a game running at 60fps on 360 @ 480 - running it at 720 will cut your framerate down to 30fps

720p and 1080i have the exact same framerate in almost all cases..

going to 1080p will cut your framerate from 30fps to 15fps - unacceptable in games.

Some PS3 games are advertising [email protected] like ridge racer...

sure they may be outputting that but they are cheating - turning off shadows, lowering the draw distance, turning off reflections....

So in many cases 1080i upscaled to 1080p is probably a better experience than if a game made sacrifices to try to output 1080p..

any proof of this so called "cheating"? Or are you trying to justify with FUD because the xbox can't do 1080p properly?

Tread lightly with your response because I own both the xbox and ps3.

·
Registered
28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihyln /forum/post/0

any proof of this so called "cheating"? Or are you trying to justify with FUD because the xbox can't do 1080p properly?

I'm not interested in having a console vs console argument - because in this case the console is irrelevant - it's the software.

A video game runs anywhere from 20-60fps. It takes a certain number of milleseconds to render each frame.

Texture Sizes, polygon count, AI, physics all affect the rendering time of a frame. Drawing 720 lines of resolution takes less time than drawing 1080 lines of resolution.

If marketing says 'make a game 1080p' and you currently have your game running 720p 30. Then you can't go and run 1080p15 - you need to lower the ms to draw the frame so you can reach a playable level (generally 30fps)

So how do you do that? - Decrease rigid objects (use normal maps instead of polygons), Decrease simmable objects (smackables, animated props), Turn off reflections on objects (for example the reflection of a car on the road), Make AI Stupider (faster pathfinding algorithms)

Anyways what I'm saying is that sure you may be getting 1080p native in some games (ridge racer) but because they aren't taking 100% potential of a console, they make sacrifices to run 1080p...

In many cases a 720p game with all the bells and whistles will look nicer from a sheer graphics standpoint (ignoring resolution)

Honestly i would love to see perfectly native 1080p games but it wont happen until the software catches up to the hardware.

·
Banned
2,950 Posts

Quote:

Do you have any proof that they're not?

·
Registered
554 Posts

Quote:

Just out of curiosity... what does this mean ?? I've got both and basicly they both look great to me. Just for my own curiosity, I rented Fight Night and NFS Carbon for the PS3 (I own them for the 360) and some textures and the lighting actually looked better on the 360. Sony's powerhouse may have great potential but it's all in the software plus the PS3 controllers blow.
Great Blu-Ray player though.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.