AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Harman Kardon AVR 135 receiver and a Bose Acoustimass 6 speaker system. Everything had worked fine, then one day I could only hear sound from the left front and right speakers no rear, center, or subwoofer. I had not changed anything electronically that would promote this. The sound is not full and seems to be missing most of the information. I am trying to determine the problem, but I am having troubles. I have a DVD player and my TV connected to the receiver, I checked between the 2 to see if they were the problem and it proved that these were not problems. I tried swapping one of the front speaker wires with a rear speaker and the rear speaker worked, which I think eliminates the speakers. I do not know if the crossover on the sub may be a problem, Im not sure how to check this. My receiver shows only the front right and left speakers as the ones to receive sound, so Im not sure if is the receiver or the crossover. Any help would be greatly appreciated

·
Premium Member
2,136 Posts
View this as an opportunity to get rid of your Bose speakers. Search this site for the general view of Bose, so I won't get into that here.

It sounds like the problem is either in your receiver (i.e. the amps to those speakers you lost are blown), or in the Bose bass module (it's not a subwoofer...not even close). The way the connections are for Bose speakers, it's harder to narrow down where the problem lies. When you tried moving the speaker wire, did you move them on the receiver speaker outputs, or the bass module outputs?

Regardless, I would very seriously recommend getting rid of the Bose and never falling for their overhyped marketing again. For that price, you can get some real entry-level speakers that will easily be better than the sound "quality" of those Bose speakers. Physics is one thing you can't change, and the physics of sound from Bose drivers, despite their marketing hype, is very poor.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by schroedk /forum/post/20876590

View this as an opportunity to get rid of your Bose speakers. Search this site for the general view of Bose, so I won't get into that here.

It sounds like the problem is either in your receiver (i.e. the amps to those speakers you lost are blown), or in the Bose bass module (it's not a subwoofer...not even close). The way the connections are for Bose speakers, it's harder to narrow down where the problem lies. When you tried moving the speaker wire, did you move them on the receiver speaker outputs, or the bass module outputs?

Regardless, I would very seriously recommend getting rid of the Bose and never falling for their overhyped marketing again. For that price, you can get some real entry-level speakers that will easily be better than the sound "quality" of those Bose speakers. Physics is one thing you can't change, and the physics of sound from Bose drivers, despite their marketing hype, is very poor.

Not to be...absurdly rude, but how does ANY of this help?

We get it, you dislike a certain product and needed to share. Now that you've got that off your chest, do you feel better?

Randy,

I'm not entirely clear on what you mean here: "I tried swapping one of the front speaker wires with a rear speaker and the rear speaker worked." Do you mean to say that you connected one of the "rear" speakers to a "front" terminal, and got a signal? Or that you connected one of the "front" speakers to a "rear" terminal, and got a signal? (There really aren't distinct speakers in the Acoustimass 6, which makes this harder to ask)

What I would suggest trying is un-hooking and re-wiring the Acoustimass module to the receiver (The wire harness). Ensure that the receiver "knows" you have a 5.1 setup (you mentioned that it only shows stereo output). Finally, un-hook and re-hook all the speaker leads (at the speaker end and the Acoustimass end; the spring clip component on the speakers themselves can wiggle apart if it gets tugged on). Also, and this is a "keep it stupid simple" troubleshooting idea, have you made sure the receiver is actually configured to output a multi-channel/surround signal (either through Pro Logic or similar, or a discrete 5.1 signal)?

If all of that fails, you'll need either another amplifier/receiver or another set of speakers to continue testing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I connected one of the rear speakers to one of the front speaker terminals to get a signal

I will try reconnecting all the wires to the receiver.

I tried every surround mode and can only get the fronts to work.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.