AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys...I fought it for 5 years, but the battle has now been lost and the PB-10 NSD has finally been declared "too big" for the living room. But, I have been granted approval to get something new, as long as it's "not as big"...

The room is fairly small..13W x 20D x 8H and the PB-10 rocks it very nicely....you can definitely feel it. I ran it at the default settings so I was not over-hyping any aspect of it's performance.

Staying with SVS means going with one of the small sealed boxes, SB-1000 or 2000.

On the HSU front it's the STF-1 or 2, or maybe the VTF-1 MK2 might be able to squeak by....

On the lower end the Dayton 10 or 12 could work....maybe the NXG 500 also in a squeaker

Cost is not really an issue so I'd just as soon go with whatever is going to come as close as possible to replicating the PB-10. I know that's probably not exactly possible, but something close that i could compensate for by maybe turning up the sub level.

Any other suggestions welcome too....thanks.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Well, certainly the SB2000 would be the closest to the PB10 while retaining maximum waf. The gloss finish also adds a touch of class. My wife never complained about our SB12Plus, it’s about the same size and it is not an eyesore in our living room. Sound quality wise, it might even be an upgrade. If you want something that hits hard, the SB2000 performs well across the board for a sub that small.

Isn’t the VTFMk1 getting too big? With its feet, it’s like 20inch high.

·
Registered
75" Samsung Q80R QLED, Denon AVR3300, Revel F36, C25, W263, FV15HP x 2, ATV4K, Sony Blu Ray, Harmony
8,671 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62  /t/1523328/lost-the-waf-battle-need-a-new-sub#post_24504344

SVS SB13 Ultra, if cost is not an issue.
+1

·
Registered
643 Posts
Should have just said "Too bad, we are keeping it. Deal with it."

No offense intended, but I never understood the whole idea of WAF. Your wife has things, you have things. You put up with some, and vice versa. Maybe im just blessed with a wife that truly does not care...who knows. Anyhow, i digress.

What about a SB1000? Small form factor, same brand and you can tuck it in the corner for room gain. Win/win IMHO. How about one of their cylinder subs?

·
Registered
75" Samsung Q80R QLED, Denon AVR3300, Revel F36, C25, W263, FV15HP x 2, ATV4K, Sony Blu Ray, Harmony
8,671 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaeelarr  /t/1523328/lost-the-waf-battle-need-a-new-sub#post_24504665

No offense intended, but I never understood the whole idea of WAF. Your wife has things, you have things. You put up with some, and vice versa. Maybe im just blessed with a wife that truly does not care...who knows. Anyhow, i digress.

What about a SB1000? Small form factor, same brand and you can tuck it in the corner for room gain. Win/win IMHO. How about one of their cylinder subs?
I agree with this to some extent.  I have seen plenty of guys with an already underpowered sub for their room stating they have to downsize even more due to WAF.  My wife thought the Polk PSW110 was big when she first saw it.  Now I have an XS30.  However, I would not consider dual orbit shifters or anything like that in our main living room, there does have to be compromise, but it has to work both ways.  After all, I don't insist that my wife leaves the toilet seat up.  How rude that she always leaves it down...sheesh.  Just show here some pictures of the guys on here that have floor to ceiling subs with 21" drivers in car sized enclosures.

Reactions: jaeelarr

·
Registered
749 Posts
Do they do subs smaller than the small SVSs? lol

If you could DIY, you could perhaps design a coffee table with downfiring drivers that didn't look like a sub

·
Registered
562 Posts
Doesn't JL specialize in small sealed enclosures with lots of power and excursion? They generally lose the price/performance ratio because there goal is high spl and small footprint.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie Isaac  /t/1523328/lost-the-waf-battle-need-a-new-sub#post_24505027

Doesn't JL specialize in small sealed enclosures with lots of power and excursion? They generally lose the price/performance ratio because there goal is high spl and small footprint.

Yup But you pay out the nose for it. There cheapest smallest sub (E-110) in ash finish is $1,500 dollars MSRP. (10 inch driver - 1200W) which also has less displacement than the F110 subwoofer according to JL audio which is even more expensive and if you want a F113 your looking at $4,300 MSRP.

·
Registered
475 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaeelarr  /t/1523328/lost-the-waf-battle-need-a-new-sub#post_24504665

Marriage is complex and the give/take covers many aspects of life. Every relationship is different. Perhaps a large sub isn't worth the 'cost' to some guys, who would rather use "WAF points" (for lack of a better term) somewhere else.

In other words...you have to pick your battles, and maybe the OP has picked a different battle (or battles). 

I suppose that's easy for me to say as I was okay putting a PB-2000 front and center. But an antenna on the roof...that idea didn't float very well. Different topic though.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmerci  /t/1523328/lost-the-waf-battle-need-a-new-sub#post_24505699

Can't you just cover it with a large tapestry and use it as a table for a couple of vases?

Good idea.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Man it's my dream to have insane subs like that one day, I might say that this is one of the things that i wouldn't budge on.................it may be grounds for divorce!
Hopefully my list isn't that long and i'll let the woman pick everything else..........

#BassheadsUnite

·
Registered
3,422 Posts

Quote:

agreed... we are Men. at least that's how it used to be.

Reactions: oneeyeblind

·
Registered
836 Posts
I have a PC12 ultra arriving in a few hours that i just bought from the AVS classifieds to join the PC12+ I have, the fiancé wasn't thrilled about the idea of having a 2nd hot water heater sized cylinder in the corner but we love watching movies so she just accepts the fact that the living room is becoming slowing dedicated to the HT and the basement is the new "living space". WAF to me always comes down to $$ and not the physical look of whatever we're getting. I'd tell her to find some nice fabric she likes and drape it over top and get over it. the PB10's aren't that big, and I'm not sure an SB1000 will outperform or even match a PB10. Save your money and keep the pb10, they're great subs. She's lived with it this long, she'll get over it.

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
Could also be a sign of dominance thing...got him to get rid of the sub, now get rid of that 60" plasma and replace with a 10" LCD. With vases and cushions on top.

lol

1 - 20 of 59 Posts