AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are so many parameters to consider that I have become lost trying to set them up properly and can use some references or help...

Problem: I'm getting very little effect (sound) from my subwoofer. It works OK for I can touch the cone and feel it vibrate, though very slightly.

(NOTE: I do not have 5.1 system, just 2 FS, 1 CS, and sub)

Current setup:

FS - 2 x Polk Series 35i (1" tweet / 6.5" driver / freq resp: 39Hz-26kHz)

CS - 1 x Bose VCS-10 (4 x 2.5" drivers)

Sub - DCM SW10 (10" driver / freq resp: 40Hz - 160 Hz / Lo Pass X-over: 60Hz - 160Hz @ 18db per octave / polarity switch: Normal 0/Reverse 180)

Sub is set on floor (not in corner) adjacent to FS's and about 8" from wall. FS are on floor stands, also about 8" - 10" from wall. CS is directly under TV monitor.

A/V audio setup:

FS set to Large

CS & Sub set to Small

FS X-over set at 100Hz (100, 150, 200)

LFE attenuator at 10dB (0, 10dB, xx)

Low cut filter ON

Dynamic Range set to MID (Off, Max, Mid)

Sub x-over set to 100Hz with polarity at 0

I have tried setting all speakers to Small but this has made no difference, nor has setting FS x-over to 150Hz.

I believe I'm getting lost trying to include all the various settings available from the sub and this is leading me to ignore those and work only with my FS setup through the a/v receiver.

Can anyone suggest a different configuration?

+++++

·
Premium Member
3,133 Posts
1. Set all speakers to small, use the 100 Hz x-over if that is your lowest option.

2. Sub set to ON (can't set to small, so I don't know what you meant by that!)

3. LFE signal is normally shown as -10 to 0, with 0 being the proper setting. If your receiver instead uses 0 to +10, use the +10.

4. I don't know what Low cut filter is supposed to be, but most likely it should be turned off.

5. Dynamic range should be set to Off or Max, depending on the terminology used by the receiver.

Settings on the sub: disable x-over or turn it as high as it goes. Set level to about midway.

Sub setup should be accomplished using "standard" techniques, read a how-to or get a calibration disc like Avia.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynberg /forum/post/12930087

1. Set all speakers to small, use the 100 Hz x-over if that is your lowest option.

Done!

Quote:

2. Sub set to ON (can't set to small, so I don't know what you meant by that!)

Well, I made a mistake in that entry. The sub is ON and I realize it can't be "sized."

Quote:

3. LFE signal is normally shown as -10 to 0, with 0 being the proper setting. If your receiver instead uses 0 to +10, use the +10.

My LFE display does not assign "pluses" or "minuses," so I set it to "10" under the assumption it's a "+10" (since there is no "-10")

Quote:

4. I don't know what Low cut filter is supposed to be, but most likely it should be turned off.

Done!

Quote:

5. Dynamic range should be set to Off or Max, depending on the terminology used by the receiver.

I set it to OFF

Quote:

Settings on the sub: disable x-over or turn it as high as it goes. Set level to about midway.

Done!

Your recommendations have made a big difference in the sub, which is now kicking. Thanks!

+++++++++

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Man! Just when I had it set right...my wife bought me an Onkyo SR605 yesterday for my birthday and all H*** has broken loose trying to regain the excellent audio I had been receiving from my old Pioneer (see above) once I followed the suggestions from rynberg.

I ran the 605's speaker setup w/Audissey 2x (late last night and early this a.m.) and got the following results:

Front = Full band (0dB, 10 ft)

Center = 120Hz (0dB, 10 ft)

Sub = Yes (-2dB, 11 ft)

After 2x auto-setting the speakers, the audio is back to sounding much thinner (less bass - the old Pioneer "loudness" option worked great in this regard) thru FS, CS, and sub, though I still have the sub's x-over set as high as it goes and the level midway, as per earlier suggestions by rynberg

Questions:

1. "Loudness" option - I can't find it on the 605 like my old Pioneer had. Is it designated as something else or achieved thru some other means?

2. "Speaker size" - I have no clue how Audissey re-set these. Again, I can't find a similar option on the 605 like I could wth the Pioneer. Is this not a consideration with the 605 or is speaker size designated differently, perhaps determined by setting different Hz levels for the FS and CS?

3. Can a manual re-setting of the Audissey results improve the overall balance so the lower bass end thru the FS, CS, and sub would be boosted?

I have cycled through all the Listening Options and have not been successful in boosting the overall bass frequencies, just the way the sound is distributed.

I sure can use help again...

TIA

++++++++++++

·
Premium Member
3,133 Posts
You need to go in and manually change the speaker settings. Try disabling Audyssey, it does not always improve things.

Most modern receivers do not have a loudness function. Perhaps you are used to overexaggerated bass and need a little time to get used to flatter more accurate bass.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts