AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any DST-3000 owners out there experienced a loss of video when outputing 1080i ? My 15 month old unit has begun to do this occasionally, I'll see a slight flicker and the picture will dissapear, audio is fine. Powering the unit on and off will return the picture. I've started watching 480p over S video for long periods and don't see the same problem. I think it is the DST-3000 because this picture loss doesn't happen with DVD playing or with HTPC through the component input. My TV is a panasonic CT34WX50.

·
Registered
11 Posts
floydman,

My DST-3000 would lose the red component whenever I turned it on. I would have to unplug the unit, let it cool and then it would return for a limited length of time. Things worsened to the point where the unit (looks like the tuner went bad) completely failed yesterday.

Luckily my is still under warranty (ends this thursday *sigh*). I did purchase a Sony HD-200 yesterday to replace the Toshiba and it does a much better job of picking up the OTA digital signals in my area.

Good luck...

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Floydman...I've had my Hughes E-86 (cousin to the DST-3000) for about 2 years and never experienced this problem. If it were me, I'd return it for service. Sounds like a definite unit defect.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm going to try taking it to the Tosh repair center nearby, I wonder how much cheaper the repair will be than a new (non-toshiba) model. Prices haven't moved much since I bought the dst-300.

Whats the general consensus out there on the most relaible directv HD receiver ?

·
Registered
8,864 Posts
If its been said once, its been said a billlion times ... 99% of the troubles with E86/DST3000's are due to overheating ... Hughes deserves to be soundly thrashed for not putting a cooling fan on these beasts.

If you decide to replace your unit make sure your new one has a fan :)

HDC

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Floydman...I've tried just about all of the DIRECTV HD-receivers and the Hughes (and clones) are the most reliable, with the possible exception of the DTC-100 which is now defunct. However, all HDTV receivers have had their share of problems since day 1. The DTC-100 is the worst receiver-feature wise-but seems to just take a licking and go on ticking. Good luck finding one.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I knew none of this would be easy..... this part slightly OT......

I'm taking my DST-3000 for service tomorrow, so tonight I unplugged it and connected the old hughes receiver that came with my original system and inserted the card from the DST-3000 and called Directv to get it 'married' to the old box again (this is the card that came with that receiver mind you, I had called them to switch it to the DST-3000 when I bought that, it did not come with a card since it was not new service). The rep told me they don't allow you to switch cards anymore argh :mad: So now I'm stuck with basic cable or antenna in my living room unless I move the bedroom receiver which is a pain to move and disconnect.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Floydman...call DIRECTV and have them send you a new card for the Hughes receiver. I don't believe there is a charge. Then you can always activate it anytime you want.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The technician at the authorized Toshiba repair center told me that he was unable to reproduce the problems (I was afraid of this because the unit can go days without losing picture) but that some of the electronic connections showed signs of wear, whatever that means. He said he re-soldered some connections. I'm picking it up tomorrow, hopefully I'll be able to watch Spiderman in HD uninterupted.

Benji, I went without the extra receiver, Directv siad there was a $25 charge for a new card.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Darn it, video continues to drop out. Everything was fine for 4 days and last night it went. I called Toshiba this time and the support I spoke to asked a lot of questions and he was fairly sure it was the receiver and not my TV. Since it is no longer under warranty he gave me the address and instructions to send it to the firm Toshiba have contracted to service their satellite receivers. The basic repair fee is $99 plus shipping.

I'm thinking of buying a new DST-3000 and hooking it up to finally once and for all prove that its the receiver and not the TV. I almost want it to be my TV because its under warranty and sears come to the house to fix it. I am a bit concerned about sending the unit to another repair shop since the local toshiba repair shop couldn't even reproduce the problem.

·
Registered
8,864 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by floydman
Darn it, video continues to drop out. Everything was fine for 4 days and last night it went.
I could be wrong but, this sounds like the receiver is overheating ...

HDC

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thats definitely a possibility, what I'm wondering is if they replace the tuner because its fried from overheating how much are they going to charge me and wouldn't it be better value buying a new unit ? Question though does the receiver generate more heat when outputting 1080 over component than it does outputting 480 over s video ? I haven't really noticed a difference touching the unit, it just seems hot all the time.

·
Registered
8,864 Posts
Quote:
Question though does the receiver generate more heat when outputting 1080 over component than it does outputting 480 over s video ?
Possibly ... however, I've seen heat troubles while using only the s-vid output. Bottom lines is that once the board starts baking, parts go out of tolerance, solder joints start popping, etc, etc.

HDC

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
floydman,

The problem is easy to fix. GO BUY A COOLING FAN!!!

If you need more information, do a search on "Radio Shack" by greywolf. He has provided great information about how to assemble your own quiet fan.

You could argue that you shouldn't need a fan and you'd be right. But that won't solve your problem. Buy the fan.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.