AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What I want to do is be able to rip my HD, BD and SD DVDs to the HDD. I know that I am allowed one back up of them and this would be the back up. I know that talking about how to do this is chances are against the TOS and I'm not going to ask about how to do it. All I want to know is will I be able to do what I want to do.

I saw on newegg a combo drive from LG that will play HD and BD DVDs. I plan on getting it and a large HDD only I'm unsure as to how large of one Windows will recongnize. I have heard their is a limit.

I also want to be able to send the video and audio out uncompressed so I will need the cards to do that. I'm lost on this part. I want one that will be able to send the video out at 1080p for my tv so the content is still in HD. For the audio I want to send it out in what ever quality of audio is on the disc. So if it is True HD I want it to go out in True HD to the reciever. I want the reciever to be able to decode what ever audio is sent to it that it can decode. I know that if my reciever is not able to decode true HD then it wont be able to however when I get one that can I want it to be able to. Are their cards that can do this or can I even do what I want to do?

I want to do this so that it puts less on my discs and chances of them getting scratched are lowered. I am wanting to do this for back ups only that will be how I watch my DVDs and own all that will be placed on to the HDD. I am not asking how to do this or if their is software to do this. I just want to know if the hardware is out there to do this and what I need when it comes to the sound card and video card. I'm sure the sound card and video card have been posted in a sticky but I have little to no clue as to what I am reading or much at all as to what I am doing when building a PC for this.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Well, honestly it's all in the very first sticky -

I realize that there are a lot of pages there, but if this is all new to you then you'd probably better read through as much of it as you can. For someone who doesn't have the background it's not a simple "plug and play" kind of appliance and there are a hundred different things you can do wrong. Sure I can say get a 780G mb, dual-core AMD processor, 2 gb of ram, 2 HDs (1.5 tb and 500gb), install 32 bit Vista and slap TMT and AnyDVD on it and you'll be good to go. (For the most part, except for the uncompressed audio part)

It will most likely be a frusterating exercise and you will spend an innordinate amount of time building/trouble-shooting/tweaking like the rest of us-which is (frankly) why a lot of us do it. However, you really need to do your homework to make it a workable project-

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
"I have little to no clue as to what I am reading or much at all as to what I am doing when building a PC for this"

....and yet...you still want to build one.

WHY?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
rockytt, thanks could you tell me about what page the information is on or is it in all of the first sticky. Even still I will read all of the first sticky. I guess I needed pointed to the right one for the most part.

kapone, why not. I'm sure I will learn somthing by doing this and it will let me have all my movies backed up in one place.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts