AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 188 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hd-Insider is reporting the following:

"During their TotalHD press conference at CES, Warner announced that New Line was working on the Lord of the Rings trilogy for both HD DVD and Blu-ray. While they did confirm that the titles were in the works, no details were given.

A source close to the matter gave us a few details of the upcoming release, these include:

* Main feature will be a single DL disc on both HD DVD and Blu-ray. (no word if it will be a TotalHD disc)

* The movies will be the Theatrical Versions of each film. Yes you heard it right.

* Both discs will be encoded using VC1

* These will be the first titles to use Dolby TrueHD 7.1 Audio *crosses fingers for 24bit*

* Due to bandwidth constraints, as of now there will be no IME like features.

It's a real bummer that New Line is forcing us once again to double dip by releasing the theatrical versions, not that it was unexpected.

Stay Tuned..."

If this is true it's very unfortunate. Lets hope this will cahnge before release.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Darn.

I really hoped it was the extended editions. The least they could've done is include the extra footage via seamless branching.

I'm also hoping that Universal would release a special edition HD-DVD of King Kong with the extra footage that came with the 2 disc DVD edition, this time with Dolby TrueHD, and every possible extra in HD.

A lot of waiting involved with these formats

·
Registered
210 Posts
the theatrical version is fine by me...considering i haven't seen any of the LOTR yet... :O

·
Registered
981 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassoon /forum/post/0

Darn.

I really hoped it was the extended editions. The least they could've done is include the extra footage via seamless branching.

I'm also hoping that Universal would release a special edition HD-DVD of King Kong with the extra footage that came with the 2 disc DVD edition, this time with Dolby TrueHD, and every possible extra in HD.

A lot of waiting involved with these formats

I doubt Universal could fit an extended King Kong with TrueHD and the necessary DD+ onto one 30gig HD DVD disc.

Now a 50gig BD disc...

·
Registered
93 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UxiSXRD /forum/post/0

If they do the theatricals first, a double dip is inevitable...

Probably the plan from the first place on the studio side. I'm sure the extended versions will be there six months later.

Hopefully, when they do the extended versions, they will use one disc for just the movie with the specials on the other disc.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
I will not purchase theatrical versions. I will wait for inevitable EE. I have plenty of other movies to watch in the meanwhile.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by underdog57 /forum/post/0

I'll wait for the extended versions ..

+1. Lame, if they use the same double dipping on HD that they did with SD.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xradman /forum/post/0

I will not purchase theatrical versions. I will wait for inevitable EE. I have plenty of other movies to watch in the meanwhile.

I agree and will do the same.

They are making a big mistake since releasing the extended cuts might keep HD DVD ahead of blu-ray.

Theatrical versions could have the opposite affect!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Oh well, I guess I will not be buying LOTR this year since it's the theatrical versions. The Extended Cut DVD's will have to suffice for now. This is a bad move on New Line's part, but I guess they want to double dip.

1 - 20 of 188 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.