AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
919 Posts
I guess I will have to do a double dip, damnit!! Oh well I guess I have to get the extended edition later. That sux though. I thought new line said they were going to go all out and have all kinds of material, deleted scenes, etc.. that would be added on to whatever we had already on the EE SD DVD Version.


I guess it would be helpful if I actually linked the review I read, the review posted here doesn't have as much "Info" or lies as I prefer to call it.

http://hd-insider.com/2007/01/17/lor...kling-out.aspx
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
876 Posts
From what I read, they will do the theatrical version first which sucks big time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmlm13 /forum/post/0


I just watched them over the christmas break, they can take their time bringning those out. I'd rather have Blade 1 and 2.

I've never heard the LoTR trilogy compared to Blade.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaj /forum/post/0


However LPCM has been more favourably received than either TrueHD or DTS-MA

Yeah, using different movies for comparison. Sure, I agree that BD movies with PCM generally sound "better" than HD DVD movies with TrueHD, but these are different movies and we are only comparing how they were mixed/mastered.


We Were Soldiers on HD DVD has a DD+ track that rivals the best PCM tracks. It shows that the mixing of audio matters much more than the encoding of audio.


It's premature to say that TrueHD actually has lossy properties (audibly lossy).


This forum has descended into madness. MADNESS, I TELL YA!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,596 Posts
I passed on the theatricals when they came out on DVD and will pass on them on BD/HDDVD/THD. At the very least, they could extend some effort and do some seemless branching (preferably with deleted scenes).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
494 Posts
i never bought the collection b/c i figured something bigger and better was always around the corner for lotr. i wanted to the ee's but now i'll have to wait to see if the theatrical on hd/blu will have ee's waiting around the corner near after. possibly these will be renters just to see hd glory
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
162 Posts
It's well understood that TruHD is lossless. The original PCM that is input to be compressed is what you get on decompression (playback).


You really DO want TruHD or DTS-HD master lossless tracks, instead of PCM. The reason is simple -- this frees up space for other content on the disc. Either a higher bit rate movie encode, or more extra content.


BTW, I recently picked up a Blu-ray player, in addition to the HD-DVD player I picked up about 6 months ago. Reason for me was that Blu-ray has significant new and desirable content on the horizon.


For LOTR, I really hope that the 50GB blu-ray disc is used for a higher bit rate encode of the movie. I really hope they don't just port over the content that has been shaped to the HD-DVD 30GB disc...


Quote:
Originally Posted by MSmith83 /forum/post/0


Yeah, using different movies for comparison. Sure, I agree that BD movies with PCM generally sound "better" than HD DVD movies with TrueHD, but these are different movies and we are only comparing how they were mixed/mastered.


We Were Soldiers on HD DVD has a DD+ track that rivals the best PCM tracks. It shows that the mixing of audio matters much more than the encoding of audio.


It's premature to say that TrueHD actually has lossy properties (audibly lossy).


This forum has descended into madness. MADNESS, I TELL YA!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfield /forum/post/0


It's well understood that TruHD is lossless. The original PCM that is input to be compressed is what you get on decompression (playback).

It's not well understood on this forum. If you've followed many of the threads here, there are plenty of people who incorrectly conclude TrueHD to be worse than uncompressed PCM by comparing two different movies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfield /forum/post/0


You really DO want TruHD or DTS-HD master lossless tracks, instead of PCM. The reason is simple -- this frees up space for other content on the disc. Either a higher bit rate movie encode, or more extra content.

You really DO want PCM if your player cannot decode the lossless tracks, and a BD-50 disc is used for the transfer. It's all a matter of perspective.
 
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top