AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

· Registered
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Likely for me a difinitive release on HD DVD will be the LOTR movies. But, which ones will they release - the thjeatrical version or the EE version. The EE versions are the only ones worth while IMHO.

I am hoping.

Anyone know?

· Registered
708 Posts
I would expect it to be the EE.

I can't imagine them doing theatrical first.

· Registered
65 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang1 /forum/post/0

what would be great, is that if they had both cuts on the same disc, for example if you had the choice from the theatrical or the extended edition in the main menu, then we would have no complaining.

That would be TERRIBLE.

Its not just scenes that changes with the EE cuts; they also remixed/rerecorded the score, and added worlds of small incidental materials to the film that couldn't be achieved by a scene skipper.

To put both on one disc would mean 7-8 hours of HD film on one disc, as it would have to hold both complete versions as single encodes... and that means the quality would suck.

2 disc set, please... or just the EE. Either way.

· Registered
4,715 Posts
I'd expect either the EE version or a 3-4 disc set with both versions.

I hope we get just the EE versions as theta what everyone wants. Ill buy all 3 if they are the EE. Should look amazing in HD. TNTs 16:9 version give it no justice. and I heard latter prestations were 4:3 strech o vison.

· Registered
23,182 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndalis /forum/post/0

That would be TERRIBLE.

Its not just scenes that changes with the EE cuts; they also remixed/rerecorded the score, and added worlds of small incidental materials to the film that couldn't be achieved by a scene skipper.

To put both on one disc would mean 7-8 hours of HD film on one disc, as it would have to hold both complete versions as single encodes... and that means the quality would suck.

2 disc set, please... or just the EE. Either way.

Seamless branching was made for stuff like this. It doesn't need to be by whole scenes, but I'm not sure how much time it would add (the total should definitely be less than having both versions on there as whole encodes). New Line released discs with both versions with seamless branching on DVD where they could have included both versions instead. The bandwidth limitations of DVD might have been a problem with the SB though and could be the same with HD DVD. Might even be with Blu-ray, but they have higher ceilings that should make seamless branching easier to do without hurting the audio or video.

--Darin

· Registered
3,495 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by screxer /forum/post/0

I want the EE as well....I won't buy it if it is the theatrical version (funny how much I loved the theatrical versions 'til I got my hands on the extended editions...haha!)

I'm the same way. Love the theatrical versions 'til I saw the EE. Now all I watch are the EE.

theatrical editions on HD DVD = no sale! (I'll rent them though)

· Registered
1,392 Posts
Would it stand to reason that most of us early adopters are pretty avid film fans who would overwhelmingly prefer the EE's? I think they'd sell more if they just kept us geeks happy and went with the EE's from the get go.

· Registered
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
1 - 20 of 75 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.