Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this is old news.

USA Today article today says LOTR ROTK Extended Edition DVD will be out in November. Theatrical release out in May or June.

Sooke

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
Oh well, I was hoping they'd do an earlier release, since they wouldn't have the need to build up for another theatrical release. But, I guess it's probably a time thing as much as marketing. It takes a while to get them done, since they certainly aren't whimpy editions by any means.

I haven't even seen the movie yet, since I just didn't want to see it in the theater. It'll be hard enough waiting for May to see the regular version.

·
Registered
344 Posts
They do the extra scenes after the theatrical release. They need to add special effects, score, re-edit, remix the sound, etc. etc. Sometimes they even go back and shoot new material.

Takes a while to do it all.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Don't defend their position. This whole thing is Bull Sh#t. There is no reason why they can't have it out sooner. PJ is already done editing the EE and there is no way in hell it takes 11 months to produce the material. I can almost garantee it has been in the works for a few months already. I love LOTR to death but damn this whole thing is so annoying.

Brian

·
Premium Member
7,158 Posts
Should come sooner. The window between both, for folks that feel compelled to buy the earlier version, just to have it, could be shorter and they will still pocket the $s.

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Cant wait....4 hours and 15 minutes of lord of the rings.....

Yahoooo

·
Registered
855 Posts
The impatience of people nowadays is unbelievable. We're talking a few months not years or decades here!

I'm just thankful we are getting these EEs period.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
It sucks that we must wait, but it's all about money and this way it makes the most money possible. There ya go.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Nope. Jackson said there wouldn't be.

·
Registered
697 Posts
I'm not impatient, I just hate that they have to suck every penny out of something before they move on. But I just remembered, its all about the money not the people.

Brian

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Quote:
i have a funny feeling they will release all three EE's theatrically
You'll never see it happen...

$0.02

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
Quote:
I'm not impatient, I just hate that they have to suck every penny out of something before they move on. But I just remembered, its all about the money not the people.
The companies who made these films are made of people also, and most of that money will end up allowing them to do more films, hopefully some of them as good and amibitious as these.

When was the last time you walked into your boss' office and asked for a reduction in pay, because you don't feel comfortable getting every penny you can from them, because your coming to work every day is about the people, not the money?

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Come on. Everyone here will definitely buy the EE. November is not bad. Just think how frustrated you would be if you were this emotionally tied to Schindler's List or Reds

·
Registered
499 Posts
I cannot believe the whining I've read here. After the risk NL took in the first place, and then the incredible support they've given to the gifted artists who have done what many thought was impossible, you should allow them to make as much fekkin' money as they can on these films.

Don't forget, they'll use some of that money to make The Hobbit.

And although PJ has done an edit of the EE, that doesn't mean it's in the can. FX are still being created, just so ya know.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jimnc
Don't forget, they'll use some of that money to make The Hobbit.
Don't hold your breath. The Hobbit is tied up in negotiations between New Line and United Artists and, yes, it's all about money. Although PJ has expressed interest in this project, I don't see this getting past all the lawyers for a while yet.

Here's a quote from PJ:

"What the problem with The Hobbit is, as I understand it, is that United Artists owns distribution rights to it. And New Line, as part of the Lord of the Rings kind of package, they got some sort of production rights to it. But, they can't distribute it. I mean, New Line can make it, but they can't distribute it. It's sort of weird."

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.