AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 5 year old son is the biggest lotr fan in the world! Its amazing what this kid knows about the 3 films. Anyways, I just ordered a few of the polystone statues made by Sideshow Weta and was wondering if anyone here has any of them? I can't believe the prices that some of them are fetching on ebay. Balrog is over $2,000! My collection will start off small and I intend to buy all the figures of the fellowship first. So far, I have bought Frodo, Merry, Gandalf the White, and Legolas. I have reserved Boromir and Gandalf the Gray (both on backorder). Aragorn is pretty much untouchable for under $700. Sam is fetching around $500 or so on ebay. Gimli is about the only one attainable and he's going for $300+. I havent seen Pippin anywhere, strange...Anyways, if you have any of these figures, please let me know what you think about them. Thanks!

·
Registered
820 Posts
I hope you realize that some of these figures are still available from the source... www.sideshowtoy.com Ebay is always extreme when it comes to collectibles...

Many of the older Fellowship figures are now retired, thus the extreme prices. IMHO, the only figure worth a fortune is the Legolas statue that sold out in a heartbeat.

I own the following statues:

Saruman The White

Gandalf The Grey

Frodo Baggins

Smegol/Gollum

The statues are wonderfully made, and are great additions to any home theater.I also have a Pippin bust, and a Nazgul weapon set.

Also, not Weta/Sideshow, but I also have a United Cutlery "Sting" replica sword.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I just ordered the Frodo and Merry statue from Sideshowtoy.com. They, however do not have the Gimli, Aragorn, Sam, and Balrog any more. Which Legolas statue are you speaking of? The only statue of Legolas that I can see is the Greenleaf one. I just ordered that one today from lordoftherings.net along with the Gandalf the White one.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Damn, I love the New Line Cinema store. They shipped my figures the very next day I ordered them! Should be here in 3 days! Free shipping to boot! On another note, can someone recommend a cabinet or storage unit of some sort for displaying these figures?

·
Registered
820 Posts
I just preordered the Sauron statue last night...pictures haven't been released, but I'll get it in a heartbeat. Weighs in at over 15 lbs...

Also considering the Gollum 3/4 scale bust, and buying a replica ring+chain to put around Gollum's neck. :D

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I also preordered the Sauron too, 2 of them:) I pretty much preordered 2 of all the preorderable stuff. That way, I can sell 1 of each on ebay and keep 1. I wonder which one is going to be the "hot" collectible?

·
Registered
820 Posts
Did you order two of the King Elessar statue by any chance?

UPDATE: I just got the new newsletter with the link to the Morgul Lord statue image...UNREAL. I just pre-ordered that too...*looks at empty wallet*

·
Registered
820 Posts
Sideshow is soldout of the Gollum bust now, so I just bought the Theoden statue instead...my wallet hurts. I think after Theoden, Morgul Lord, and Sauron, unless SS Weta releases something awesome, my polystone statue collection will be complete...and I'll then concentrate on replica swords... :)

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No, I was too late on ordering the King Elesser statue:( I put my name on the waiting list but doubt I will be able to get one. Yes, the Morgul Lord looks sweet! I just picked up my Gimli statue today via ebay and it looks amazing! I just realized that it must be a pain to ship these things. I bet a lot of them break in transit. I'm rethinking my ebay idea because I do not want the hassle of cracked statues. I just dont know. Next week, I should receive Gandalf the White and Legolas. I hope Sideshow ships my Frodo and Merry this week. I just checked the site and now Frodo is sold out. Ill take pics later this week when I receive all of them

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I got lucky because the seller lived about 100 miles from me. We both met at the half way mark. Yeah, I agree about the fact that accepting a statue over the mail is super risky. Lucky for me, Gimli is perfect! Its residing on a shelf now, just waiting for his other friends:) Lewis, have you ever ordered any statues from ebay? If so, did they fare well through the shipping?

·
Registered
820 Posts
No, haven't used Ebay for statues. If the sellers pack the statues in the original box, than they should be ok, as SS Weta always does a good job with packing thier products...just look at the Gollum statue in the TT collector's edition...took 45 mins to get out. :)

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
I recently received my pre-ordered Morgul Lord/Fell Beast statue. It's gorgeous! Already going for $500+ on eBay as it sold out quickly. I can see the value in ordering two each of the limited ed. statues. You could likely pay for the one you keep with profits made on selling the duplicate one :) I just pre-ordered Sauron, Morgul Lord, New Balrog, and Eowyn. Almost $800 - OUCH! However, with as much as these things appreciate in value and how well done they are I think it's money well spent. Would also be interested in how people are displaying them. Thinking of building a shelf in my office or HT room. Still would leave them vulnerable to dust and accidental damage though.

Tom

·
Registered
820 Posts
I'm in the process of creating a cool display in my home theater...but right now I have my statues displayed in a backlighted bookshelf that has a glass door...and having a 160lb dog that drools, that glass door is important. :D

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just received my Frodo, Legolas, Gandalf the White, and Merry statues today and they are all stunning! Gandalf the White is amazing! I will try to post some pics later.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Tom,

Congrats on the Fell Beast. That statue is sooo cool. I wish I would have known about it earlier. To tell you the truth, I'm a bit apprehensive about my order. I ordered almost 2,500 worth of preoderable stuff and am having second thoughts. I just wonder how "limited" the new stuff is gonna be considering that they know the demand out there. Their not dumb and I fully expect them to make a lot more statues this time around. That would kill the market of newer figures, imo. I figure if they were truly limited, the preorder should have sold out by now. Oh well, who knows. I suppose Aragorn was a good test candidate. His 1st statue was not even limited and it is fetching $700+ on ebay. Any thoughts Gentlemen?

·
Registered
820 Posts
Well...remember that many of the pre-order statues are $200-$300, which may turn-off alot of buyers...

I don't think we'll know the true street value of our statues for another few years...

·
Registered
820 Posts
I just recieved my King Theoden statue today...very very nicely detailed.

As for my LOTR display in my theater, I was thinking of dividing my statue collection into two groups: "Good guys"and "Bad guys". I'm also looking into dramatically lighting both displays; such as a red or black light for the bad guys and a white spotlight for good guys...I'll take pictures one day...

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Lighting sounds like a great idea. My statues are just placed on shelf with no light. I think I will install a light someday.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.