1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Well if you read it... it's not ready, there is the small matter of 150 effect shots to complete !!! :)

I am looking forward to this one.

- Rick

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
From TheOneRing.net

Quote:
I work in the media biz and today I received a package from New Line Cinema. The contents included the LOTR:ROTK calender (which is one of the coolest things I have ever seen) and a note. It had some basic info and then included some release dates.

The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

-Theatrical Cut DVD/Video: Late August 2003

-Extended Cut DVD/Video: November 2003

The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King

-Theatrical Release: Dec. 17, 2003

-Theatrical Cut DVD/Video: August 2004

-Extended Cut DVD/Video: November 2004

Peace Out~:D

·
Registered
728 Posts
That makes the total so far at 430 minutes- a tad over seven hours.

The next New Years Eve is going to start early for us...

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
Man, I'm scared to go see ROTK in the theater, cause I'm probably going to be crying like a girly boy.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Quote:
I'm probably going to be crying like a girly boy.
Probably? Come on Dean, we all know you are a girly boy.;)

I'm already planning my Fall Extended Edition party for parts one and two. The question is; Once all 3 parts have come and gone...what will we have to look forward to this much?!:(

Howie

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
NOW we know what the answer to the Ultimate Question of Life the Universe and Everything means!

Dean, just see it on the first night with a bunch of hard-core fans. If it's as good as we all think it will be, everyone will be in the same boat. Besides, I'm secure enough in my masculinity that I can bawl like a baby at a movie. :) It probably helps that Vickie describes me to friends as "a big, scary looking guy".

·
Registered
358 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dean Roddey
Man, I'm scared to go see ROTK in the theater, cause I'm probably going to be crying like a girly boy.
Agreed. I'm definitely seeing this one with the wife and not the guys since I'm sure this will be one of the few movies to also bring a tear to her eye. What I hate is when they IMMEDIATELY bring the lights back up to full strength when the credits begin to roll, and you're left sitting there trying not to be seen drying your wet, bloodshot eyes. geez..

-sc

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
For someone who knows nothing about the story other than through Jacksons movies, can some spoiler tag why RotK is going to be sad? I've got a good guess, just looking for confirmation.

Peace Out~:D

·
Registered
728 Posts
"can some spoiler tag why RotK is going to be sad?"

Well, for some of us who have waited decades for this, it's going to be because it's finally over. The definitive filming of the definitive fantasy novel. No more Middle Earth. Nothing left to look forward to. We might as well just pack it up and fade.

Well, there _is_ King Kong...

·
Registered
358 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by apg
"can some spoiler tag why RotK is going to be sad?"

Well, for some of us who have waited decades for this, it's going to be because it's finally over. The definitive filming of the definitive fantasy novel. No more Middle Earth. Nothing left to look forward to. We might as well just pack it up and fade.
This is part of it, if not most of it, for me as well. A bittersweet ending, if you will. Waving goodbye..

-sc

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ron-P
For someone who knows nothing about the story other than through Jacksons movies, can some spoiler tag why RotK is going to be sad? I've got a good guess, just looking for confirmation.
The movie is going to end sadly, but not as sadly as the book. If you want a hint, the books were writtten by an Englishman who served in World War I, and wrote throughout World War II. He denied the books were in any way allegorical, but it's hard for modern readers not to see it that way. So, don't expect to see the battle to come celebrating the "glory" of war, rather expect to know the pain of triumphing over evil at a great cost.

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Williams
Besides, I'm secure enough in my masculinity that I can bawl like a baby at a movie.
At the first screening of FOTK in the theater the male contingent of the group simply exercised strict "urinal" protocols: Eyes forward at the screen at all times, no sideways glances to see if anyone has "something in their eye". :D

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
The book ending is very bittersweet. It's already been discussed how they are going to change it, which to me will make it somewhat less so, though the book ending is also more drawn out. But, once you throw in the extra power of the visual and musical tools, and the fact that they will pack all of it into a relatively short space, it's probably going to be brutal. It might not match the end of The Joy Luck Club, which you couldn't pay me to watch with anyone else in the room, but it probably won't be far off of it.

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
BTW, for those who didn't read the thread that I originally posted this in, here is a kind of executive summary of the kind of info you can get by reading The Silmarillion, which gives a huge amount of background info and really deepens your appreciation of the world of LOTR. I'll put it in a spoiler tag for those who plan on reading the Silmarillion, though it's a tiny fraction of what you'll read and it probably wouldn't remotely ruin anything for you.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) For instance, the world was created by Eru (Illuvatar in High Elvish), who is the God. He created from his own thought the Ainur, who are more or less like the angels, but more powerful, really minor Gods. And there were some lesser spirits, though still very powerful by middle-earth standards, called the Maia. Eru created everything (he was in the void alone, then created the Ainur and Maia but still in the void), from a great song that he created and the Ainur took up. As in Christian theology, the smartest, brightest of the Ainur (Melkor, later named Morgoth), was head strong and had a big ego, and attempted to change the song, and Eru had to change the song a number of times to get it back on track, but still Melkor caused many things to be less than what Eru had intended.

What was created was the universe and Middle Earth was at its center, and Eru showed them all at once how things would come to pass on earth, but not all of it, and very little about the 'children of Illuvatar', the elves and men. Then he told those Ainur who loved this thing that they had created that they could go there and rule and nurture it, but they could never come back. So some of them went, and Melkor went also, pretending he wanted to help, but really he wanted a place away from Eru where he could rule.

So the Ainur and many Maia came to Middle earth and created the lands and they created a place for themselves call Valinor, and they were called the Vala by the Elves later. The made the 'two trees' which gave off gold and silver light and provides all of the light of Valinor. The tree at the end of LOTR is a descendant of one of them. They didn't bother much with the rest of middle earth yet, because they were waiting and watching for the first born (the elves) to show up, but they didn't know when it would happen because things related to the children of Illuvatar wasn't really revealed to them.

Melkor started causing trouble and was eventually put into bondage, but eventually let go because the Ainur really didn't have much understanding of hate and maliciousness, and Melkor went into Middle Earth start setting up his own little kingdom in the far north.

Eventually the first born arrived and the Valar became aware of them. So they sent some of the Valar among them, and decided that the first born should come live in Valar where they could be protected. Some decided not to go, and some went part way and stopped at various places as they went west (they first were born in the far east, and Valinor is in the far west, over the seas to the west of the land where Hobbiton was. And some went to Valinor. That's where the big families of Elves were created. The High Elves that we see in LOTR are the Noldor who went to Valinor in the second group of elves to reach it, and lived there for the first age of the world, and became very powerful and knowledgeable; basically it would be like living in heaven and hanging out with the gods. The Sindar went part way but stopped in the far west (in an area that no long exists in the time of LOTR, which was to the west of Hobbiton, where the ocean is now.) And some stayed in the east altogether.

Eventually some of the Noldor came back into Middle Earth, following Feanor who created the Silmarils, who went because Melkor stole them and took them to Middle Earth. This is the core of the story of the book. Having lived in Valinor and seen the trees and hung out the Gods, obviously they were very powerful in Middle Earth. But, as is all good mythology, a curse had been laid upon them by the actions of Feanor and things went downhill from there, until by the time of LOTR, almost all of them were dead.

This is why Galadriel is so powerful, because she is actually the only remaining major Noldorian Elf in Middle Earth, who had come from Valinor, so she is like someone today who was born thousands of years ago, lived with God, and then came back here. Obviously such a person would be very powerful in society. Here husband, Celeborn, is a Sindarian elf, who never went to Valinor.

And there are the stories of the three unions of man and elf. Elrond is particularly powerful, despite having been born after the return of the Noldor to middle earth, and despite being half-elven, because he is actually part Maia, part human, and part elf. On his mother's side he descends from Fingold and Melian. Melian was a Maia who met Fingold as he was part of the movement west towards Valinor, and they married and stayed in Middle Earth. Their daughter, Luthien is mentioned numerous times in LOTR. She and Beren (a mortal man) snuck into the fortress of Morgoth (who had stolen the Simarils, which is why Feanor, who made them, lead some of the Noldor back into Middle Earth, and recovered one of the Silmarils. Luthien and Beren's daughter, Elwing, was Elrond's mother. On his father's side, he was descended from the second union, of Huor (a human) and Idril (an elf.) Huor and Idril's son, was Earindil who was hugely famous, and he was Elrond's father. So he was the son and grandson of hugely famous elves and humans and semi-gods.

Elrond's brother, Elros, chose to belong to the human race, while Elrond chose the Elvish race (they were given this choice by the Valar.) Eros went on to become the first king of Numeanor, the great human civilization that predated the times of LOTR, and from whom Aragorn is directly descended, though Elendil and his son, Isildur who cut the ring from Sauron's hand. Arwen is the daughter of Elrond and Galadriel and Celeborn's daughter. And actually, since Aragorn is directly descended through 30 or so generations from Elrond's brother, they are semi-related.

Sauron was a Maia who was corrupted by Morgoth (Melkor), and he was Melkor's right hand man in the first age. Eventually, Earindil sailed into the west (the Valor had cut themselves off from Middle Earth by now and wouldn't allow anyone to come there), with the Silmaril that Beren and Luthien had gotten, and made it to Valinor and pleaded with the Valar to do something, so they finally fought Melkor with a huge group of elves and the men of the west (the Dunedain), and cast him out of Middle Earth. And at that point the battle was so huge that they destroyed the far west part of middle earth that was to the west of Hobbiton in the first age. But Sauron pleaded for mercy and was let go.

The Valar set up Numeanor between the new west coast of middle earth and the cut off Valinor, for Elros and all of the Dunedain who had fought with them, and that is how Numeanor came into being. And that's why Aragon is called a Dunedain (pronounced Doon-uh-Dyne I believe), a 'man of the west', i.e. the men who came over the misty mountains into the far west and lived among the high elves after their return, and became the people of Numeanor.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Dean, Any links for where they have discussed how they intend to adapt the ending...

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by richardg
Well I hope they preserve one of my favorite parts in ROTK, having to do with a certain Samwise.
You mean the Rosie Cotton lapdance scene? I heard that's cut.

·
Registered
609 Posts
it's discussed at length here, but this is a really long thread:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=112673

here's the short version (from memory)
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) the book ends with the Shire being ruined by Saruman, who was allowed to escape from Orthanc by Treebeard. Anyway, he's driven out (actually he's killed by Grima Wormtongue) and Sam manages to help begin restoration of the Shire by sprinkling enchanted elven dirt (and planting a tree) he received from Galadriel in addition to the rope. Frodo, however, can't stay in the shire any more, in essence he's too psychologically damaged from his experiences, so he goes over the sea to the Undying Lands with the last of the elves when they leave Middle Earth. This all takes a fair amount of time in the book (a couple years if memory serves). Also, I am not conveying the emotional turmoil of this part of the story, FYI.

In the movie, the Scouring of the Shire was NOT filmed, so that's out (Sam also just got a rope, not the necessary elven mulch / mallon tree seed to restore it). The scenes Frodo sees in Galadriel's mirror are Peter Jackson's reference / nod to the Scouring for hardcore fans. The film ends with Frodo et al having to leave Middle earth for the undying lands - i.e. he never gets to see the Shire again, all the magic and enchantment in Middle Earth is gone (because the elves are all gone and the rings which the elves used to maintain the enchantment have lost all their power on destruction of the one ring). The jist of all this is that the world is just not the same place it was, and never will be again (which is terribly tragic) even though evil is defeated.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.