AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our only Blu-Ray player is the BH200. It seems like every disc we get for it has some sort of issue—a skip here or there, freezing and then resuming, etc.—at some point in the movie. In the past (the era of regular DVDs) I'd write these off as a damaged disc, but it when it happens with 90 percent of discs, that just seems unlikely, right?

Usually these issues are minor—a very brief freeze before the movie continues, a split-second skip, etc.—but they are repeatable (you can go back to the same place and it happens again) and it just doesn't seem like $30 Blu-Rays should provide a lesser experience than $6 DVDs.

I was just wondering what others experience is. (Normal DVDs, or the few HD-DVDs we have, do not generally have this problem, even when played in the BH200, just Blu-Ray.) Is it the discs? The player?

I'm talking about brand new, out of the box, first-time-played discs with no visible scratches/defects. We have the latest BH200 firmware and have the film mode (an earlier suggestion from this forum) turned off.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
I like my BH-200 very much. I only witness audio drop off one time and when I played the movie the second time it was not there. From a price point this player is a steal.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
It could be the player. If you have a flaky/faulty BD laser or laser pick-up assembly then it could be consistently misbehaving. I'm not sure, but I think different lasers are used for the BD and HD DVD disks, and certainly different ones for DVDs, so if it affects just one format, it sounds hardware-specific.

I suppose you could contact LG and send it in for repair - when did you buy it? Is it still under warranty? Might be worth it if you are having problems with the vast majority of your BDs.

My BH-200 is idle, awaiting a HT projector (someday, sigh...). I use my Sammy BD-UP5000 for everyday BD/HD stuff, and an Oppo for DVD. So I haven't actually run the BH-200 through the wringer very much.

IMHO,

shinksma

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Make sure you have the latest firmware just in case.

These things are pretty much bulletproof as can be for new gen players.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I would examine my link, especially if using HDMI. Bump to component and see if the problems persist. I have watched 100+ BD's and another 100+ HD's on this unit and have had minimal issues, as in - maybe a minor hiccup every few discs, for a fraction of a second. Have another one in my bedroom which is used alot less, same thing - few if any problems.

Try component/optical, and see if you have the same number of problems.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Aside from the very occasional audio or video hiccup that others have mentioned, I have no major issues with either of my 200s. In addition, these hiccups are generally not repeatable as you say yours are.

I did have one unit that consistently had a vid/aud dropout in the same place on "The Incredible Hulk" BD that did not occur on my Sony 350. This happened about a week after I bought it (open box) and I started noticing other random dropouts on various BDs but not on any HDs or SDs. The last red flag for me, was when I started to get a "flash" or "flicker" consistently on the home screen. I exchanged it for another unit at BB.

As shinksma said, sounds like your 200 may have a problem. You may want to try to return/repair your unit before it starts failing to read BDs completely. Good Luck!

Mike T

·
Registered
4,276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by susanandmark /forum/post/15412351

Our only Blu-Ray player is the BH200. It seems like every disc we get for it has some sort of issue...

Sorry but you have a bad player. We play lots of HD-DVDs and BDs and rentals and apart from the very infrequent bad rental they have all been flawless in every way.

·
Registered
277 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by susanandmark /forum/post/15425070

Thanks, but obviously not what I wanted to hear. The player is only about six months old (purchased in late May of 2008) but LG, when I called, said they had "no responsibility" to fix it. I spent almost $700 on it at the time, new, and am very upset about this whole thing.

LG will fix it, whoever you talked to obviously did not want to help you.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by susanandmark /forum/post/15425070

Thanks, but obviously not what I wanted to hear. The player is only about six months old (purchased in late May of 2008) but LG, when I called, said they had "no responsibility" to fix it. I spent almost $700 on it at the time, new, and am very upset about this whole thing.

Sounds like you do not have a service plan from where you purchased your 200. However, as Samsungmaster said, LG will fix it. The warranty is 1 yr parts, 90 days labor. Unless you can make a case that the unit has exhibited this from the beginning etc., you will probably get stuck with a "flat" labor fee. I believe the labor fee is around the 60-75 dollar range??? You should probably check LG's website to find the closest authorized repair center. Good Luck!

Mike T

·
Registered
1,049 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by susanandmark /forum/post/15466153

No, I don't have any service plan. I emailed LG, after calling, and was told I could send it back (at my expense) and pay $69, flat repair fee and they'll look at it. (You pay whether they fix it or not.)

I paid $712 for this unit on May 29, 2008 and have had these problems since day one. Very disappointed that that's all I get, but I guess it's better than nothing.

Well, if you requested and received your $75 "No BD-Live" rebate from LG at least it will erase any actual out of pocket expense for you. It's some consolation.

I hope you get it back from LG in good working order. Good Luck!

Mike T

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I should have said in my first post that the glitches are NON-repeatable, NOT repeatable ... A typo on my part. I have since confirmed that this only happens on Blu-Ray discs.

I'm thinking of sending the unit back to LG before my one-year warranty expires at the end of May, but I will still have to pay a labor charge, whether they can fix it or not and they have said to allow 30 business days for turnaround.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by susanandmark /forum/post/15535949

I should have said in my first post that the glitches are NON-repeatable, NOT repeatable ... A typo on my part. I have since confirmed that this only happens on Blu-Ray discs.

I'm thinking of sending the unit back to LG before my one-year warranty expires at the end of May, but I will still have to pay a labor charge, whether they can fix it or not and they have said to allow 30 business days for turnaround.

Add me to the list that's never had a problem.

Yours is obviously defective. Send it back while it's under warranty.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.