AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I'm a long time lurker dreaming about having a home theater and reading everything that I can and wishing I had an HT. Now my dream has become a reality. My family is getting a home theater but however they know nothing about the market. I know a bit from what I have read from the forums though.

Our budget is around $8k US. I'm from Australia and our budget in AUD is about $16k. That translates to about 12K US but things are sadly pricier than the states here so I compensated for that. The budget is for everything except installation - Receiver, Display device (be it projector or whatever), HTPC, Screen, Cabling, Speakers, etc...

I think the first important thing for us is the display device. We were thinking of the lines of a projector, because simply nothing beats it for value and screen size. The room that the HT is going to be in is 8m by 8m which roughly is about 26ftx26ft. Viewing distance I think ideally would be 12ft with a 100"screen.

For the projector I was debating between a few. Namely the HT1000, The Infocus 5700, Mitsu XD300U. All of these seem great - but I'm not sure what to go for. If I went for the XD300U or the HT1000 I would Like to go with an 16:9 anamorphic lense as WIDESCREEN IS THE FUTURE *TM.

How would these work at that viewing distance?

Viewing use would be;

Cable TV

Some HDTV (not much HD is broadcasted here in Melbourne)

Gaming through Xbox, PS2, HTPC.

DVD's (not sure if we want to do that through HTPC or what)

And some general computer use.

Speakers I was looking at were the Focal JMLab sib & cub which are about 2000 Australian RRP. They are small - possibly to small for the room. I can't remember the exact power output though. How would these work in the room?

EDIT::: Forgot something Distortion related.

If we roof mounted the projector, would there be any distortion issue with the screen? I was thinking wouldnt the projector have to be exactly in the middle of the screen to project an undistorted image?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh, and one more question.

I know there are many different type of widescreen ratios like 2.35:1, 1.85:1, what is a solution to have a screen that supports all of these? I heard of masking but I am not sure what that is. Can someone please enlighten me?

Did some more research into LCD projectors.

How would the Sony HS-20 or the PLV-70 work in my setup? The high resolution is looking good and the sony's contrast ratio is very good for an LCD at 1300:1. The Sony looks better than the PLV-70. I read somewhere that RRP for it is going to be $3500. Is that correct? Because if so, that would be awesome.

More research. Saw the specs of the Optoma H76. 1280x720 Resolution, 1000 lumens, and 2000:1 CR and a 6k RRP looked great although it might be a bit out of our price range. What would wholesale price on one of those likely be? How would these compare to the HT1000, IF5700, Sony HS20, Sanyo PLV70?

Thanks again

·
Registered
38 Posts
I can't speak with regards to your queries on those specific projectors. But If you are considering a flush ceiling mount, you would encounter what is referred to as keystone distortion because of the angle of the projector relative to the display surface.

I'm sure the projectors you are considering have keystone correction that alters the image from the projector to counteract the distortion. Another option is to get a ceiling mount with an adjustable extension pole to lower the projector to the appropriate level that would centre it on the screen.

Check the reviews for the models you are considering, if the PJ uses "digital" keystone correction, then some pixels on the display will not be used as the image is distorted by the projector to counteract the distortion.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, I found out that most of them have Digital Keystone correction. Is that a big problem? How much resolution would be lost by moving the screen?

Please help me out here....

·
Registered
121 Posts
According to the HT1000 installation guide (found on the NEC website), the enter of the lens is ABOVE the top of the screen. For example, with a 100" diagonal (4:3) screen, the center of the lens is 12" above the top of the screen. My LT240K is exactly the same, which is actually a small problem for me, since I put the projector on a stool when watching. I had to find a short stool, plus mount my screen higher than I had planned. Hope this helps.

Brett

·
Registered
20 Posts
Welcome Stornn,

My first post here and new to projectors, but feel I can offer my perspective.

Bought the X1 for $1000 US to start. Loved the huge image, but could see the pixels (SDE). Returned it and now have the HT1000 ($4000 US; awaiting the lens). The HT1000 is at least twice the projector that that the X1 was. SDE is much less, 16:9 movies look better, 2.35:1 movies are tolerable (Star Wars, LOTR), cable is OK. The anamorphic lens should make the wide format movies look better.

Key takaways:

1) any projector needs serious room light control, which means no direct light and very little reflected light on the screen. Brighter rooms need a higher lumens projector and a more reflective screen.

2) projectors are hot and noisey. Try to mount on the ceiling.

3) a slight defocus makes the SDE dissappear closer to the screen.

4) I used two sets Creative Labs 5.1 THX computer sats/subs with my Pioneer Elite receiver. Cheap/loud and sound awesome. Check the reviews.

5) the HT1000 has many adjustments for room placement, but remember the best image will be dead on with a 10" or so offset from the top/bottom of the screen, depending on how you mount it. Note: the HT1000 has a short-throw lens, which means you might have to place it towards the center of your room.

6) size of screen is relative to your tastes. What format you like, how close you want to sit...it's all up to you. It seems there is no screen solution without a compromise for all formats. I am waiting to buy the screen--currently my screen is a tan wall 10' from the projector (100" diag). I zoom the lens, change formats, and tweak willy-nilly to my heart's content--all because I have not committed myself to a screen. BTW, it all looks great!

7) a projector beats a CRT in wow factor, but keep in mind the compromises above. WAF is better, but only given the ability to control the light.

When in doubt, buy from a dealer that will take back your mistake.

That's why I'm not stuck with the X1 ( a great buy for the money).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.