AVS Forum banner
  • Get an exclusive sneak peek into our new project. >>> Click Here

Loud 'boom' from subwoofer shuts down Onkyo 605

1513 Views 3 Replies 2 Participants Last post by  Goldglv
Hey guys,

I just purchased the SP-908, had it running for about a month or so now. I searched these forums and I know the 605 does get hot so I'm not sure if this is what the problem is but I turned on the TV and the receiver and after about 5 minutes I heard a loud 'boom', sounded like it came from the subwoofer and the receiver shut down.

I use banana plugs on the back of the receiver so I doubt it's a stray wire and I literally had the system on for 5 minutes when this happened so I wouldn't have thought it was from overheating. It hasnt's done it since and I've had the system on for 5-6 hours at a time.

Anyone have any ideas or recommendations? I was planning on getting a small fan anyway after reading some of the posts on here.

Thanks in advance for any help!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Does this happen when you're switching sources? I have the SR800, and sometimes when I switch sources (from DVD to cable), the levels are not matched, and I get a pop, which makes the self-protection circuit kick in and shut down the system. I would still do a visual check of the speaker wires, because it's usually where the problem is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooshoo /forum/post/12947734

Does this happen when you're switching sources? I have the SR800, and sometimes when I switch sources (from DVD to cable), the levels are not matched, and I get a pop, which makes the self-protection circuit kick in and shut down the system. I would still do a visual check of the speaker wires, because it's usually where the problem is.

Thanks for the reply. No, wasn't switching sources, just watching cable TV. I did check the speaker wires again and everything looked fine. I have everything plugged into a home theater surge protector, should the subwoofer be plugged into it's own outlet? I thought I remembered reading that on here somewhere but I can't remember....
Anyone have any other ideas? Thank You...
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.