AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I finally got my Sony VPH-2030 QM together after changing the lenses. Now I got HD-144s, it was really a heavy job to get it back up under the ceiling again.

But now I hear a loud buzz coming from the PJ, probably originating from somewhere between the fans. Is it the power supply?

The buzz changes frequency when I twist the picture button.

What can I do about it? It wasn't there before I changed the lenses. Bad connections?

Should I disassemble it again? what should I look for?

:confused:

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Take it apart, look for bad connections, make sure that everything went back together right. Changing the lenses won't do this. My sony is a 2030 shimmed back to 100" with HD-144's.

So it works fine. One common problem at the age of these units is bad solder connections in the powersupply under the lenses.

Also, just for the heck of it make sure the fans are not bent down a touch and buzzing on the little vent slot by the CRT's.

Marc

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It wasn't the fans so I think I'll get some help to get the PJ down again. I'll remove the lens block and check the connections.

I didn't have any noise before changing the lenses so hopefully I'll find something close to the lenses. I don't want to dig down to the power block.

Why is it always like this? You try to improve the image but end up in a worse mess than before you started.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got a friend over to get the PJ down and I justwanted to show him why we should workout on Easter Day so i turned it on.

Hmm, he said that sounds like a ground problem in a speaker.

So i pulled the cables to the two speakers and the buzz disappeared.

:)

So now I can't wait until tonight to start calibrating.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Hahahaha..... what a stupid thing! Did you turn the volume down? You did put the little ground wires back, right?

That's rich.... glad it was simple.

Marc

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm going to put the cables back and turn down the volume.

Been treated to some pickled herring and schnapps so I think I'd better leave the PJ alone tonight.

;-)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Moi, do you have any pictures for your 2030QM?

I would like to add them to my site.

·
Registered
16,646 Posts
heck just disconnect the speakers and leave em' off , you don't use them [ do you ] . I yanked mine all the way out , I don't think anybody actually uses the built in speakers .

-- Jason Berg

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't use the speakers so as Jason says I think I leave them disconnected. I tried to turn down the volume but the buzz remained constant.

The convergence seems to be totally off and the red is not wide enough. So I'm afraid I will have to get down to the width coils, I have never touched them before.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.