AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a i3-3225 cpu with a corsair CX-430 psu. the case is a fractal node 304. MB is the ASrock H77M mini itx. Everything is stock fans but for some reason the cpu fan is really loud. I returned the cpu/fan at the store for a replacement and the replacement was just as loud. I cant figure out if its the mb causing the fan to be so loud or if other people are having the same problem with the i3-3225 cpu's.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,586 Posts
I had the same CPU and mobo. The CPU fan is quiet on mine. Make sure you didn't run the fan on full speed (even on full speed, the noise level is low). The CPU fan is PWM controlled and should be quiet on normal load beause it rotates slower. What you need to pay attention is the four wires on the stock fan. You need re-route it carefully so that it won't touch the fan blades. Out of box, those wires are very close to fan blades and easily touch them without re-arrange them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121  /t/1469748/loud-cpu-fan-on-new-i3-3225#post_23240163


I had the same CPU and mobo. The CPU fan is quiet on mine. Make sure you didn't run the fan on full speed (even on full speed, the noise level is low). The CPU fan is PWM controlled and should be quiet on normal load beause it rotates slower. What you need to pay attention is the four wires on the stock fan. You need re-route it carefully so that it won't touch the fan blades. Out of box, those wires are very close to fan blades and easily touch them without re-arrange them.

Yeah I made some changes to the wires so they dont touch the blade. I can take another look though. How do I do the other adjustment you are talking about? I am starting to wonder if maybe its a bios setting or a bios update I need?


I didnt make any adjustments. I just plugged it all in and kept it stock and fired it up. My main HTPC and NAS is a core-i5 and its silent.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL-F1  /t/1469748/loud-cpu-fan-on-new-i3-3225#post_23240484


I have the same CPU, super quiet


Is the CPU fan plugged into the MB?

Yes it is plugged into the MB. its super odd to me that the oriignal one i bought and this replacement one are both just as loud. I mean i just dont see it being a faulty MB.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,586 Posts
I take the wire out of the retainers and carefully route the wire to make sure none of them touch the fan blades. In mobo BIOS, you can change the option of how the CPU fan should operate. There is also an ASROCK xTreme Tuner app that can change how fast the fan operates and monitor the fan speed and temp.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121  /t/1469748/loud-cpu-fan-on-new-i3-3225#post_23240531


I take the wire out of the retainers and carefully route the wire to make sure none of them touch the fan blades. In mobo BIOS, you can change the option of how the CPU fan should operate. There is also an ASROCK xTreme Tuner app that can change how fast the fan operates and monitor the fan speed and temp.
Is there any recommended conditions for the CPU temp?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Im wondering if those little brass post that the mb sit on if one wasent tightened all the way would that cause it to be uneven slightly and cause the issue? seems far fetched but thats really the only thing I can think of as far as physical wise.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,443 Posts
Those little brass posts are called "stand-offs". If you have a loose one it can create noise for sure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2  /t/1469748/loud-cpu-fan-on-new-i3-3225#post_23240718


Those little brass posts are called "stand-offs". If you have a loose one it can create noise for sure.
Yeah but i doubt it would create this noise...? its most definatly coming from the CPU fan.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
Update the motherboard BIOS? I once upgraded my BIOS (not having any issues, just did: mistake) and something didn't go right. It caused the same behavior you were describing, the temperature monitoring wasn't working because the CPU fan was really loud. I downgraded to the working BIOS and the problem went away.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,826 Posts
I just updated the bios on an MSI H61M and the fan went crazy. I had to go into the bios and change the fan setting from auto to some specific targets. I set the CPU target to 50C and set the max fan speed to about 50 percent. The CPU runs about 39C and the fan silent. I did not try for higher temps or fan speeds but I expect those would be fine as well, it was automatic that seemed to send the fan speed out of control with the new bios. The bios upgrade was required to get my new GPU recognized. The MSI board would not post with an HD 7790 with the original bios that the factory installed.


This was a prebuilt Micro Center Sandy Bridge and had never really misbehaved before.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
180 Posts
Well like other's have said it's either your stock cooler isn't mounted properly or the fan speed setting in your bios is set wrong.

Under NORMAL load the cpu shouldn't get hot so the fan shouldn't get loud either.

Refer to your motherboard bios for the fan speed. And for the cooler mounting, take a look at it and see if it sits on top of the cpu level and that the four pins are pushed in properly. Sometimes those pins can be a real PITA to push down but when they are properly pushed down they give a clear quite audible snap or click sound.

Oh, does the fan noise go up and down depending on what you are doing on the computer? If it does go up and down then the fan speed control does work but it's either setup wrong or the cooler doesn't make proper contact with the cpu so the fan has to spin faster to compensate.


E: And the motherboard stand offs can't make that kind of noise. All they do is lift the motherboard off the backside of the case so it doesn't short out components on the back of the motherboard.. If one of those stand offs would a tad too loose it would just make your motherboard sit in the case a little bit crooked. Nothing to really worry about since the height difference wouldn't be huge. If those would make the noise, well then I would guess it would be more like a rattling noise (metal vs metal). A loud fan makes either or combinated a) loud humm b) loud ticking c) screeching sound of the blades cutting through air. If it's more like a flapping noise then there's something in the case that makes contact with the fan blade, for example the fan cable could touch the fan blade.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagittaja  /t/1469748/loud-cpu-fan-on-new-i3-3225#post_23243418


Well like other's have said it's either your stock cooler isn't mounted properly or the fan speed setting in your bios is set wrong.

Under NORMAL load the cpu shouldn't get hot so the fan shouldn't get loud either.

Refer to your motherboard bios for the fan speed. And for the cooler mounting, take a look at it and see if it sits on top of the cpu level and that the four pins are pushed in properly. Sometimes those pins can be a real PITA to push down but when they are properly pushed down they give a clear quite audible snap or click sound.

Oh, does the fan noise go up and down depending on what you are doing on the computer? If it does go up and down then the fan speed control does work but it's either setup wrong or the cooler doesn't make proper contact with the cpu so the fan has to spin faster to compensate.


E: And the motherboard stand offs can't make that kind of noise. All they do is lift the motherboard off the backside of the case so it doesn't short out components on the back of the motherboard.. If one of those stand offs would a tad too loose it would just make your motherboard sit in the case a little bit crooked. Nothing to really worry about since the height difference wouldn't be huge. If those would make the noise, well then I would guess it would be more like a rattling noise (metal vs metal). A loud fan makes either or combinated a) loud humm b) loud ticking c) screeching sound of the blades cutting through air. If it's more like a flapping noise then there's something in the case that makes contact with the fan blade, for example the fan cable could touch the fan blade.

So here is the update. I ended up taking the mb off the stand-offs and re screwing everything back in. I checked that the fan was snapped in on the 4post of the cpu so i would assume its seated properly. I mean the cpu I put in and then there is the latch that goes over and locks it in place. it was locked in place. Then the fan was placed on and all 4 fan post were popped in and looking correct.


The bios was outdated so I updated it to the most current. I saw the fan setting was set to FULL ON so I changed it to automatic with a target at 50c and set fan speed to 3. I saved and it rebooted. I noticed it spin down and it was a bit more quiet. Then fired up XBMC watched a few shows and as it just sat in the menu after I could hear the damn thing again. It sounded like the fan speed went back up to full on its own.


I guess I cant tell if the problem is with the fan itself or with the MB. This is the second cpu/fan but I do notice that intel ships these with 4 possible fan vendors. My i5 doesn't suffer from this issue at all. I just cant seem to figure out what to do next or what to troubleshoot. I dont want to buy a 3rd party fan and run into the same problem and be out $30 bucks.


Ideas? fyi my motherboard shows 2 possible 4 pin fan cables but only one is labled CPU. I have the ASRock H77M-ITX for reference. I have it plugged into the CPU fan slot. from all I can tell its plugged in all the way on the contacts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,586 Posts
Motherboards usually have at least two fan sockets: one for CPU fan, one for case fan. Don't plug in the wrong socket.


With my i3-3225, even at full on speed, the fan noise is not that noticable. My power supply fan and case fan makes more noise than that. The stock intel OEM CPU fan seems to have very limited PWM adjust range. So the fan noise doesn't change much for me. 3rd party CPU cooler and fans can offer better noise control.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,431 Posts
I had a loud fan issue with an ASRock and it was related to what you mentioned. Turns out ASRock sets their CPU fan default speed to FULL ON. Simply turning that down solved my issue.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
180 Posts
Well then it is just your fan speed settings that are the problem. The target temperature and the target fan speed level.

I don't have an Asrock motherboard (yet) so I do not know how the different levels and targets work.

Maybe you should install AXTU (the ASRock Extreme Tuning Utility) and use it to mess with the fan speed settings while you are in Windows

You can find it here http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/H77M-ITX/?cat=Download select your OS and then scroll down a little bit to find the AXTU download.
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top