AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a circa 1900 townhome. It is a twin attached on the right. Unfortunately, it looks like we share 4x6 studs with the neighbors on 4 walls with 0 insulation. The setup is 1" horse hair plaster studs 1" horse hair plaster + 5/8 rock on my side. Their bass continuously shakes my walls.

I have ordered 2 cases of GG and have the 5/8 rock. After reading this site I am wondering if just putting that sandwich up will help. My question is should I remove the plaster and decouple with whisper clips (space is somewhat of an issue) install some fiberglass batts then use the GG? Keep in mind I hear very little trebble or vocals. Once in a while I will hear some shouting but not intelligible. Will the clips help with the impact and bass or should I just stick with my orginal plan? I would hate to rip out plaster and have it not be worth the efforts. Also, will plaster transmit bass and impact more than if I went just sheetrock? Thanks

·
Registered
6,718 Posts
I too would give your neighbors "insight" into what you experience when they are letting thier hair down. See if you get compliance with this approach before you spend lots of time and money trying to "silence" them. If that does not work then as suggested take legal action.

cathead,

If you are still and officer thank you for what you do, if no longer an officer I thank you for your service. We do not thank our Police Officers enough for what they do to keep us all safe. The same goes for our military.

Regards,

RTROSE

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice. However, I have already brought it to their attention. I guess I should have explained in my post that the music is only during normal hours. Sometimes a bit early but usually between 9am-5pm. I am not expecting to stop sound completely. Every house I have lived in has had neighbor noise to some extent (live in a major city with the majority of homes being row homes). I am looking to make it bearable. I am confident in doing the carpentry work so the only costs will be supplies and I already have the GG and rock. So should I go all out and decouple and insullate or is it not worth the effort vs. the benefits? I am deffinately going to soundproof, I just want to make sure that I get the most bang for my time and efforts.

As for flanking noise, I have heavy carpet and pads on the floors and have listened there is very minimal sound there. Listening around, the majority of the sound is by far in the shared wall. Thanks again for all the advice....

·
Registered
893 Posts
Get a bigger sub than they have..

You need to decouple that wall and insulate, that is the biggest bang for the buck. Then do DD/GG + whatever.

·
Registered
454 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staffy /forum/post/15443704

Get a bigger sub than they have..

You need to decouple that wall and insulate, that is the biggest bang for the buck. Then do DD/GG + whatever.

No doubt. Hit up best buy and get some 15" kicker subs in a box, and take up a sudden interest in gansta rap.
Put the sub on the wall, crank it up, and get down like Tom Cruise in "Tropic Thunder".

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
That's funny!!

atkolicious, Having 16" OC wall framing limits what results you'll get. The isolation is more effective if the panels can flex slightly. 24" OC works better, partly due to increased flex, for example.

Your windows are always the biggest culprit. I'd suggest directing your atention to them. www.soundproofwindows.com

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I assume the neighbors also own their unit and are not renters so there is no landlord to complain to or legally threaten.

I assume these are stand alone buildings and not in a complex with an owner's association that you can file a complaint with.

I'm sure how much adding insulation within a shared wall will work. Probably can reduce the effect but probably not eliminate it. With six inch depth studs you should be able to achieve a lot of relief with insulation. I remember working in a small recording studio many years ago and the control room was separated from the musician spaces by six inch walls and inside the control room you couldn't hear a thing. Problem is you have two floors and ceiling space to silence - could be VERY expensive.

It depends on the local ordinances what legal relief you can pursue during daylight hours but in the metro area near our community (which has a major university and the local ordinace could be to control students) there are volume levels that neighbors may not exceed regardless of the time of day so don't assume that just because it's in the daytime you can't get relief.

Unfortunately, social behavior of so many people today is awful. I don't agree with trying to fight their inconsideration with similar behavior. First I would:

1. Consult the State Attorney's office. Learn ALL legal options.

2. Consult a lawyer. I have heard of civil suits being won in situations like this.

3. Are they watching films with a booming soundtrack or rock music? Loud rock music day and night can mean they have other personal habits that they might not like having put under legal scrutiny. Do you ever smell the burning of naughty substances?

4. Sometimes patient determination can help. If you knock on their door and call them on the phone to complain every few minutes they might turn things down just to get you off their backs.

My bride and I can't recall any time we shared walls with neighbors that we weren't bothered at some time or another with loud music. This is why we live in a free standing house that is heavily insulated and I have to confess that, for example, during the hot summer days I play my favorite music at volume in the backyard when cooking out or swimming or just sitting and expect my neighbors to put up with my personal entertainment just as we try to put up with theirs.

Now and then I will screen a movie on the back side of the house using a small PA for the soundtrack - never past 10pm or so but we do it. No one has complained though I am sure they can hear what we are doing.

Our indoor stereo is PA volume capable and though now in my early 60s I still crank it now and then - during the day and at night and either it isn't heard inside the neighbors' houses or the live-and-let-live values of our neighborhood prevail. We all know each other and sincerely try to get along with one another.

We sincerely wish you luck - it just takes one bad apple neighbor to significantly impact your enjoyment of your property.

Hope it works out as you would like.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Could also buy a standalone home. It's a buyer's market these days

·
Registered
2,303 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted White /forum/post/15455144

That's funny!!

Your windows are always the biggest culprit. I'd suggest directing your atention to them. www.soundproofwindows.com

I have use windows from soundproofwindows.com. They work great.

We have lived in our house about 20 years. 5 Years ago Caltrans completed the 210 freeway, That is a half mile from our house. The noise in the master bedroom was unbelievable. You could not sleep with out ear plugs. Before the freeway we slept with the window OPEN in the summer.

Now We have a Milgard slider that has dual laminated glass outside pane and extra thick inside pane, within a fiberglass frame and a second laminated slider built by soundproofwindows.com. All the walls are now a 1/2 inch drywall, then GG, then 5/8 inch drywall. Now the room is quite.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.