AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been having trouble trying to resolve a nagging issue with Windows 7 Media Center lately. It's been around so long now that I'm not sure when it first appeared.

I'm running with an ATI 4670 over HDMI connected through a Denon 3311 receiver.

Frequently, when I'm "skipping" forward (as opposed to fast forward), which I prefer to jumping past commercials, I'll get a really loud pop through the system. It sounds a lot like a moment of 0db noise (or whatever the max is for Dolby Digital). I think it's related to the momentary loss of Dolby Digital sync -- I can see it blink on and off on the receiver every time I skip forward. For a while, I thought it was due to the silent stream bug in the Catalyst drivers, but supposedly that's fixed in 10.10, which I'm currently using, so I guess I can rule that out.

Does anyone have experience with this? Is it more likely a driver issue or a receiver issue? Or something else?

·
Registered
81 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by APranger /forum/post/19513846

I've been having trouble trying to resolve a nagging issue with Windows 7 Media Center lately. It's been around so long now that I'm not sure when it first appeared.

I'm running with an ATI 4670 over HDMI connected through a Denon 3311 receiver.

Frequently, when I'm "skipping" forward (as opposed to fast forward), which I prefer to jumping past commercials, I'll get a really loud pop through the system. It sounds a lot like a moment of 0db noise (or whatever the max is for Dolby Digital). I think it's related to the momentary loss of Dolby Digital sync -- I can see it blink on and off on the receiver every time I skip forward. For a while, I thought it was due to the silent stream bug in the Catalyst drivers, but supposedly that's fixed in 10.10, which I'm currently using, so I guess I can rule that out.

Does anyone have experience with this? Is it more likely a driver issue or a receiver issue? Or something else?

Sounds like an issue with the receive or speakers, check the polarity on your speakers, maybe you have a negative going to a positive.

·
Registered
250 Posts
i've had the same popping noise occur randomly when skipping forward (or reverse) in both WMC and MPC-HC. it's not every time, and it's not often, it's rather random.

i'm using SPDIF optical for sound from HTPC to the receiver.

anyone else? i just figured it was my old receiver going bad, but if you are experiencing it as well...

yes, my speakers are hooked up correctly. so it's not a negative going to a positive issue.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I get this when using the TV's speakers. But my Sony AVR manages to "squelch" the sound effectively when skipping. It cleanly shuts off the sound when it loses the sound "stream" due to the skip.

I recently evaluated a Denon and it did reproduce the pops-- very loud. I returned the Denon for a number of reasons and got the Sony repaired (a bad source selector switch).

I would say I get the "pops" approximately 10% of the "skips" on the TV and 0% on the Sony which gets its MC sound from the TVs optical output. HTPC is connected to TV over HDMI.

Oh yeah. I have also connected the HTPC to the TV using VGA and "line" out in the past. No pops when skipping. But no DD and DTS either

·
Registered
577 Posts
I have my HTPC hooked up to my Denon receiver using SPDIF, and don't get any pops. I'm using an older version of Catalyst Drivers (if that matters). Don't remember what model of Denon it is, but it's an older mid range receiver.

·
Registered
8 Posts
This is happening to me as well on my brand new Denon AVR-1911 hooked up via HDMI. Previously I had an Onkyo TX-SR606 and this problem never occurred!

This is rather frustrating as the Onkyo had massive HDMI problems, and now I've got a new receiver that is frustrating me in other ways!

We should test to see if its when in Dolby Digital and/or while its in stereo mode.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I have this problem with my ATI 5670 and Pioneer SC-05. I think it is the sound drivers. I never had this problem with my Asus Xonar, and I didn't have the problem when I was using the Realtek HDMI driver with my 5670. I only have it with the ATI HDMI driver. It is very annoying, and really the only remaining issue I have with my HTPC.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skaven
This is happening to me as well on my brand new Denon AVR-1911 hooked up via HDMI. Previously I had an Onkyo TX-SR606 and this problem never occurred!

This is rather frustrating as the Onkyo had massive HDMI problems, and now I've got a new receiver that is frustrating me in other ways!

We should test to see if its when in Dolby Digital and/or while its in stereo mode.
I have the same issue, but with the 591 model. It feels very random, but can't say for sure. I can resolve the issue by switch surround sound modes (i.e. going from DD to stereo or vise-versa).

·
Registered
1 Posts
denon avr 591

HTPC gigabyte H55-USB3 mobo with i3 HD graphics on chip

xbox 360

panasonic G20

random popping when skipping through recorded TV. Almost 1 month with this setup. This is my first HTPC build.

HTPC is connected via HDMI to the avr and HDMI from avr to TV

xbox is connected to avr via HDMI

I get the pops when skipping through recorded TV from my digital cable source. It seems like some channels more than others, but I have to do more tests on that.

I don't get pops when watching (and skipping through) downloaded video files

I also don't get any pops when watching recorded TV via the xbox media center extender.

all audio is handled by the avr. It seems the problem is isolated to recorded digital TV for me. Just thought I'd share my experience.

·
Registered
250 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaven /forum/post/20085780

Must be a Denon problem!

i disagree, since i don't have a Denon, i have a sony.

·
Registered
959 Posts
A few years ago I had this problem w/ my Xonar D2 via S/PDIF passthru but it stopped after a driver update, my Xonar HDAV 1.3 never had the problem.

Have you installed SP1? Possible the fixes for silent stream bug could help w/ this also.

·
Registered
344 Posts
My situation is very similar to b_ill...

Loud pops only when skipping forward in Recorded TV. It's intermittent, but if I repeatedly, and rapidly, skip forward I can make it occur much more frequently.

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Sapphire Radeon HD 5750 1GB

Catalyst Suite 11.2 (but occurs with previous versions)

Denon AVR-591

Sony KDS-60A3000 HDTV

all HDMI

·
Registered
337 Posts
Count me in as well. Same thing, occasional loud pops when skipping fwd in WMC (recorded TV only).

Win 7 64 bit

5670 running Catalyst 10.10 I think

Panasonic SA-BX500 Receiver

Connected via HDMI

Was going to update my Catalyst drivers, but I guess that may not fix it. I've learned to live with it so far. Not a show-stopper, but mildly annoying.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I received the following email today regarding this problem:

"There is a Firmware Update that specifically addresses and corrects this issue on the 11 series product. The 12 series product already has the corrected firmware so the issue will not be present. Unfortunately the 1611 does not have an Ethernet connection so the update must be done at a Denon authorized service center. Please follow the link to find an authorized service center to have the update performed."

·
Registered
26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMunson /forum/post/20491025

I received the following email today regarding this problem:

"There is a Firmware Update that specifically addresses and corrects this issue on the 11 series product. The 12 series product already has the corrected firmware so the issue will not be present. Unfortunately the 1611 does not have an Ethernet connection so the update must be done at a Denon authorized service center. Please follow the link to find an authorized service center to have the update performed."

Ummm so where is the link. I need this fixed.

*EDIT* I found it. If you need it.

http://usa.denon.com/US/Support/Page...terSearch.aspx

·
Registered
260 Posts
An update for those searching for a solution to the same problem but with a Marantz receiver (I have the NR1601, but it may impact others). Like Denon, there appears to be a firmware update that fixes this popping issue. I was experiencing the deafening, wife-infuriating pop when skipping ahead while viewing recorded television and also when watching live TV (particularly during commercials). Here is Marantz support's response to my inquiry...

There is a firmware update for this issue. However, it can only be installed by an authorized Marantz service center and not by the end user. You can find a service center at the following link.

http://us.marantz.com/us/Support/Pag...iceCenter.aspx

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have a Denon AVR-1911 receiver & I get the popping noises also when fast forwarding tv. I called the closest Denon service center & they want $60 to do this upgrade. This place is a half hour away plus I'd have to go back to pick it up, so that's 2 hours of driving time plus gas. Is there a way I can buy an adapter to do the upgrade myself?

The guy I spoke with said he's going to download the firmware update to his pc & then hook up an adapter to the receiver, sound easy enough to me.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts