AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, older machine AMD 3200 with MCE 2k5, Asus K8v mobo, 1 gig ram, pulled the entire system apart a week or two ago. Figured I'd try the entire system again, so only hooked up psu, mobo, ram and vid card. when I plug in psu, and turn on, LOUD whine, case fans spin, and nothing. Is this the same mobo prob? Searching the forum, I noted on my last post BB referenced a series of beeps w/o ram installed, but this whine occurs both with and without ram, and its really loud

Thanx for any input.

Joel

·
Registered
389 Posts
Is it from the speaker in the case, or mobo or from a fan? I had an old fan that would whine pretty loud until it got going, also had a little piezo in the case to alert when it was opened, and another on mobo that was pretty annoying sometimes.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Mobo capacitor gone bad perhaps? Is it a high pitched screech like 1 fingernail on a chalkboard?

Do you get any posting beeps at all out of the mobo speaker? Does it even have a speaker (did it beep in the beginning of a boot when it still worked?)

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rather piercing screech, coming from mobo. Its an old board anyway, so I just got a bunch of new goodies at Frys (mobo, X2 7750 CPU, 2 gigs ram and 500w PSU all under $200, woohoo) Hopefully I can get this baby up and running again. Thanks for the input though, if I knew how to delete this post I would. . .

·
Registered
2,652 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylinePhil /forum/post/16963533

I always get a loud whine when I switch on one of the media centres.

It sounds like "oh god - why do you have to keep pi**ing around with this"

I traced the source to my girlfriends mouth

hah

My whine has gotten better of late - hammered out the kinks. She uses it every day now - it's our only source of media entertainment.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Fan noise, tap your htpc & it should go away.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.