AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just spent some quality time with a Samsung 507 DLP TV today. I am trying to decide between a GWII or the Samsung DLP family. I currently have a 7yo Mitsubishi 32" CRT. I have programmed a pronto so I can go to any source with the touch of a single button. 7 yrs ago, Mitsubishi was able to store discreet codes for input and each input had a memory for picture settings, etc.

I was amazed at how bad the ergonomics of a Samsung TV could be in the year 2002. To change sources involved pushing a button to get into a menu, pushing another button to scroll the inputs, and pushing yet a 3rd button to select the source. Needless to say, this will never work as part of a macro.

I was also irritated by the fact that if you set the stretch mode to "normal" for OTA 4:3 images, changing the source and then going back to the antenna input would reset the image to "wide."

Am I wrong, or is this really the way these TVs work. I was very impressed with the picture, but if my wife can't figure out how to use it, she will hate it. Are there any service menu tweaks to get around these limitations? Can the set be "fixed" with a firmware update?

I had been leaning toward the DLP for its picture quality. If there is no way around these issues, I might have to go the way of the GWII so that I don't go nuts pushing remote buttons.

·
Registered
150 Posts
The remote sucks. This is major complaint, maybe Samsung will get the message. Perhaps the Sammy engineering staff will correct this in future revisions.

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
there is really only one way around it, using only ONE input with either an external switcher or scaler/switcher or Receiver that supports all your inputs. No other way around it, unfortunately.

Jim

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Quote:
lousy Samsung DLP ergonomics
Would you rather get a car with a great engine and lousy "ergonomics" or the one with the crap engine, but with the seats that warm you butt on demand? :D

Seriously speaking, my wife does not have any objection to how many buttons she has to press in order to switch the inputs on our new 507W - she just loves the picture :cool:

·
Registered
506 Posts
Unfortunatley, Samsung does not get the message and obviously does not read these forums. The fact that many users, including myself, are paying for video processors to solve the Sammy's terrible ergonomic / ease of user issues speaks to a huge loss of revenue for Samsung.

If Samsung would make the set easier to use, they could obviously charge more for the TV and save us from buying an external video processor for input switching only. It's a shame to not utilize the Faroudja/Genesis scaling because the Sammy has poor implementation. Luckily the PQ justifies the expense for now.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Would you rather get a car with a great engine and lousy "ergonomics" or the one with the crap engine, but with the seats that warm you butt on demand?
Even Ferrari has worked on more efficient ways to shift to make use of that fabulous engine. The Samsung"engine" is beautiful, but its like entering a three digit code every time you shift gears. I still think it is a pain in the butt. I will never hear the end of it if my wife agrees to spending $5k for this and then can't/ won't figure out how to use it.

·
Registered
5,035 Posts
One of the 2 people posting here with direct contact with Samsung on a regular basis stated they were working on this . . . but no definite word on if it will be fixed in this generation set or if it will be made available as a firmware upgrade.

I say doubtful we see it until the next generation.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by teekster
Needless to say, this will never work as part of a macro.
I'm using a Pronto Neo to automatically power up, set inputs, and change aspect ratio with the touch of one button. It was a pain to program all the various scenarios, but it does work. And to get around the problem of not having a known input base, I programmed the Pronto to return the 507 to antenna input before powering down.

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Quote:
I programmed the Pronto to return the 507 to antenna input before powering down.
But how would it know which input it is at when you are shutting it down so that it chooses the ANT input? I am guessing that you have multiple scenarios on the pronto and it will take a knoweledable user to press the correct one, not just anyone.

Jim

·
Registered
160 Posts
I set it up so that when you first sit down to watch something, you choose a "mode" (i.e. "Watch TV", "Watch HDTV", "Watch DVD", etc.). Choosing that mode powers up the appropriate components, sets them to where they need to be, and jumps to a "device" (i.e. the "Watch TV" device) for that mode that contains the necessary buttons on the LCD screen. Pressing the "f" key jumps to another "device" (i.e. the "Stop Watching TV" device) that gives you the opportunity to switch to another mode. If I instead choose to power down, I press the "f" key again.

I made a different "Stop" device for each mode, so it always knows from which mode it's leaving and to which mode it's going. If I'm in the "Stop Watching DVD" device and I press the "f" key to power down, it knows to move up two notches on the input menu to get back to antenna before actually powering down.

Granted, this resulted in my Neo containing about a billion "devices"... so many that I discovered that NeoHacker has a limit on how many devices it can handle without crashing.

I apologize if this is as clear as mud... it's difficult to describe what I did unless you're familiar with the Neo. I have no idea how similar it's programming is to the regular Pronto.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DirectorBoy
I'm using a Pronto Neo to automatically power up, set inputs, and change aspect ratio with the touch of one button. It was a pain to program all the various scenarios, but it does work.

I made a different "Stop" device for each mode, so it always knows from which mode it's leaving and to which mode it's going. If I'm in the "Stop Watching DVD" device and I press the "f" key to power down, it knows to move up two notches on the input menu to get back to antenna before actually powering down.

It doesn't sound like the wife, in-laws, or babysitter could operate this easily. If they didn't press a "Stop device button" or the "f" key before powering down, the set would end in an unknown state. If the remote was pointed away from the set during part of a macro, the set would also be in an unknown state and non-operational for a visitor.

I have concluded that the ONLY way to really automate the Sammy is to spring for an external video processor with discrete IR input commands. This will allow the Sammy to have only one input, DVI, and ensure easy operation. Too bad Samsung doesn't make one software change so that a base input could be established (simply make the "ChUp / ChDn" buttons select the tuner while viewing any input).

·
Registered
160 Posts
Actually, anyone can operate it. Pressing the "f" key is the ONLY way to power down. Pressing it once allows you to switch modes, pressing it twice powers it down. Simple as that. There are no power- or input-related commands in the touch-screen buttons. I have to explain the "f" key to first-time users, but nobody's failed to understand it yet. I have components spread out across a 90" wide entertainment center, and the Pronto has yet to fail to get a command to the appropriate component because of misaiming. My wife and I have been using it for a month now; it really does work and it couldn't be simpler.

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
It does sound like your programming method has potential, tedious at that to set up it sounds like and to train people not to have a power button is another item. But, they way you describe it makes sense. But like Jeff said, if the remote is pointed away for a second, you could find the set in an unknown state.

Jim

·
Registered
188 Posts
War, recession, unemployment...who would have guessed the real problem facing me as is that it takes me 6 seconds to push buttons and change sources...could it be better? Sure. But is it something I can live with? Yes.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Yeah, programming the remote was ridiculously complicated thanks to Samsung's archaic user interface. But now that it's done, it's done. I'm one of those people who won't change components or connections for years. And yes, incorrect aiming during a macro may un-sync everything, forcing the user to get up, turn everything off manually, and start over. But it hasn't happened once in over a month of use.

And if visitors or in-laws can't stomach the idea of not having a traditional "power" button, I'll send them to the closet in the spare bedroom where we're storing the old 1986 28" tube that was replaced by the 507. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.