AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, this home theater buying bug is visiting me again ... I love the sound I get from my set up right now. I am at HT 70% / Music 30%

I usually listen to music and movies at moderate to low sound. So nothing tooo crazy. A bit of couch and floor vibration but not where it gets tooo crazy. Never have volume (Denon 4311) go above -10 volume. Never reached 0.

If you were me and you had this set up below...

Sharp LC-80LE650U 80-inch
Denon AVR 4311ci
Ascend Sierra-1 NrT
Ascend HTM-200 (surrounds)
Rythmik F12
Monster HTS 5100 MKI

What would you upgrade next??? Let's say your budget is up to $1,500

thanks.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I don't think we can really answer that question. What do you want improved in your system?

Bigger screen = projector, more dynamic speakers = some HE speakers maybe? , more output or smoother frequency = more sub(s), yada yada yada.

You could always invest in acoustic treatments. Head over to GIK acoustics or Real Traps. No need to buy something just for the sake of buying it.

·
Registered
233 Posts
You could always invest in acoustic treatments. Head over to GIK acoustics or Real Traps. No need to buy something just for the sake of buying it.
If WAF allows it, this; no question.

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
Absolutely get a second sub. Your receiver will be able to integrate it pretty easily after you find a good place for it. One of the best features of Audyssey MultiEQ XT32 is going to waste with a single sub. I would look into getting another Rythmik F12.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Absolutely get a second sub. Your receiver will be able to integrate it pretty easily after you find a good place for it. One of the best features of Audyssey MultiEQ XT32 is going to waste with a single sub. I would look into getting another Rythmik F12.
that's the one upgrade (aside from going pre/pro and amp) I was thinking about :)

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
you guys know by any chance if Denon 4311 allows to only re run room correction on a subwoofer or only on rear channel? I am happy with my fronts but want to rerun other speakers.

thanks

·
Registered
21,006 Posts
you guys know by any chance if Denon 4311 allows to only re run room correction on a subwoofer or only on rear channel? I am happy with my fronts but want to rerun other speakers.

thanks

It's easy enough to re-run Audyssey any time, but you need to redo the entire setup. Use one of these too - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000978D58/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001GWCC4I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Banned
16,232 Posts
So, this home theater buying bug is visiting me again ... I love the sound I get from my set up right now. I am at HT 70% / Music 30%

I usually listen to music and movies at moderate to low sound. So nothing tooo crazy. A bit of couch and floor vibration but not where it gets tooo crazy. Never have volume (Denon 4311) go above -10 volume. Never reached 0.

If you were me and you had this set up below...

Sharp LC-80LE650U 80-inch
Denon AVR 4311ci
Ascend Sierra-1 NrT
Ascend HTM-200 (surrounds)
Rythmik F12
Monster HTS 5100 MKI

What would you upgrade next??? Let's say your budget is up to $1,500

thanks.
Upgrade to two better subs. Go to 7.1 or even 9.1 with additional HTM200SEs. Do you feel the Sierras aren't going loud enough cleanly? I use a 4520 with mine, don't feel any need at volume levels, yours being similar to mine (altho I have touched at 0 once or twice but trying to be nicer to my ears these days). I love the subs I built, check my sig.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Considering the low sensitivity of your speakers (87db), what is your listening distance? I would seriously question whether you can get near reference level playback without some serious distortion. But if you listen at really low levels then this may not be an issue.
A great thread to read:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-sp...ence-level-high-sensitivity-spl-speakers.html
*EDIT*
Oops, just realized that you are powering these with your AVR, which is a bad mixture with your low sensitivity speakers that are extremely power hungry. So I would recommend upgrading at LEAST your speakers to a more efficient set and you will notice better dynamics that you didn't know you were missing, even at -10
I'd shoot for a quality set of speakers that have a sensitivity rating of at least 95 db sensitivity.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Considering the low sensitivity of your speakers (87db), what is your listening distance? I would seriously question whether you can get near reference level playback without some serious distortion. But if you listen at really low levels then this may not be an issue.
A great thread to read:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-sp...ence-level-high-sensitivity-spl-speakers.html
*EDIT*
Oops, just realized that you are powering these with your AVR, which is a bad mixture with your low sensitivity speakers that are extremely power hungry. So I would recommend upgrading at LEAST your speakers to a more efficient set and you will notice better dynamics that you didn't know you were missing, even at -10
I'd shoot for a quality set of speakers that have a sensitivity rating of at least 95 db sensitivity.
Wait ... I thought my speakers are very good :) I understand the db sensitivity and yes, with an external amp maybe some new "feel" will open up because I definitely don't needs sound to be louder.

I thought of 2-3 future upgrades

1) Buy Ascend Towers and move the Siera-1 to rears
2) Get a 2nd sub to place in back of the room
3) Go separates ... add a 3ch amp (Emotive XPA-3 or something)

which one will have the biggest effect?

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
Adding another sub will have the biggest effect, not just for output but for smoother frequency response. That will lower distortion as well, likely quite a bit more than going from bookshelf speakers to tower speakers. I would only do 1 or 3 if you want to listen at significantly louder levels than you do now. And if you do that, it would probably pay off to go for the more powerful Rythmik subs as well, some F15HPs or some F25s, multiples of course, as I don't think regular sealed 12"s would be able to keep up at loud volume levels.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I do think that 2 biggest improvements can be room treatment and 2nd sub. Specifically 2nd sub.... why? Because I notice that if I move my ass exactly 2 feet to the right, I can feel more sub. So clearly bass is not distributed evenly in the room and maybe 2nd sub will help in evolving the sweet spot. Right?

not looking to go with the bigger sub than the F12 ... I think that thing is a monster, especially for my living room. I have it dialed at 30% of it's power and then -6 or -7 on the AVR volume level.

·
Registered
237 Posts
My vote is for second sub. I added one of the klipsch 12 inch sub and my sound stage and movies are so much better. Its like a new experience all together. I placed it in the back of my room with first one right next to center speaker (per often quoted herman paper that is a best placement) and it changed everything for me. And it was not even that expensive. Imagine adding SVS or other great quality sub for your budget..

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My vote is for second sub. I added one of the klipsch 12 inch sub and my sound stage and movies are so much better. Its like a new experience all together. I placed it in the back of my room with first one right next to center speaker (per often quoted herman paper that is a best placement) and it changed everything for me. And it was not even that expensive. Imagine adding SVS or other great quality sub for your budget..
I agree with you .... the only thing I doubt is that I am not sure it's a good idea to mix and match subs. So if I get a 2nd sub I'll go for the exact same one I got ... Rythmik F12

Someone mentioned to me this...

"You got that right, and you want to see it as well as hearing it, investment a little on something like a UMik and REW (free)"

he is bringing me back to what I looked at a year ago, got scared because I didn't fully understand how that thing works ... like, is it just getting software on my Ipad, attaching mic to USB plug, turning on some music or movies and watching the graphs? Just didn't fully understand it and bailed out but now I am curious enough to start asking around. So in simple steps ... how does this thing work? :)

1 - 20 of 69 Posts