AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Title says it all. Felt like I needed to post my impressions for any of those that may be on the fence for purchasing this monster. I've been running the amp for about an hour now with my fronts only (Martin Logan Mosaics) and have been doing A-B comparisons on running fronts direct through my Yamaha RX-V2500 vs. through the LAP-1. No question, the soundfield and sweet-spot of my mains is dramatically better with the amp. The Yamaha alone had a very good sound and pretty good power (130x7) so I wasn't expecting this dramatic of an increase in SQ. However, I was feeling that my mains were a little power starved and this CERTAINLY has done the trick. Clarity is enhanced and bass is definitely deeper. I was very skeptical on whether or not the amp would make a difference but thought the 30-day in-home trial was a no-brainer. I honestly thought that I'd hear very little to no difference (especially right away) and would be sending the beast back. Now I can't wait for my additional interconnects to arrive tomorrow so that I can hook up my center and sides. Plan on experimenting with the rears going through the receiver or through the amp since the 6th and 7th channels in the Emotiva are 50wpc in a 7-channel configuration. Possible that there will be little to no difference with them, but we'll find out soon.

For any of you out there that are debating buy this amp and running your current AVR as a pre-amp, I'd HIGHLY recommend at least trialing the LPA-1. It's a phenominal value shipped at $499.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Mine arrived on Monday the 15th. It replaced the amp section of a Denon receiver (still using it for a preamp for now) and I noticed an improvement as well. I've been using it for viewing Academy screeners all week of the new movies up for awards consideration and have listened to a couple of my SACD's as well. I'm still evaluating it, but it has produced some great sound so far without breaking a sweat or even getting warm to the touch. An extremely great value at $500 shipped. 125 wpc X6. I found it to be about 3 db more sensitive at its input than the Denon, so am able to get the same volume output with a 3 db lower preamp setting, hence slightly better signal to noise too.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Moovtune- are you planning on moving out of the Denon to a pre-amp soon? What direction are you thinking of going. Hearing the differnce in going to the seperate amp has me really curious as to what the sound of going to a seperate processor will be. However, I don't want to lose the presence channels that I've currently got with the Yamaha.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I've been looking for a 5-channel amp so I can stop using my Denon receiver to power my Paradigm speakers. I think I killed the tweeter in one of my Studio 60's recently, it's in the shop for repairs now. This LPA-1 looks like a really good value... for $500 shipped I wouldn't be very disappointed if it wasn't much of an improvement over my Denon AVR.

·
Registered
415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC Nick /forum/post/0

Moovtune- are you planning on moving out of the Denon to a pre-amp soon? What direction are you thinking of going.

I am planning on a new preamp/processor, but I'm waiting to see what becomes available with HDMI and decoding of the DD+ & True HD and new DTS formats later this year.

·
Registered
415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by redline65 /forum/post/0

This LPA-1 looks like a really good value... for $500 shipped I wouldn't be very disappointed if it wasn't much of an improvement over my Denon AVR.

It could be an improvement over the Denon, depending I guess on which model you have. Denon is very good too. But the "no Shipping" costs are through January only, unless they extend the offer.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I just got mine on the 17th and it's phenomenal!!!

It replaced a Pioneer Elite 56TXI and it's no contest.

I've had most of the high end Denon/Yamaha/Pioneer from a year or so ago in my system and again it's no contest.

The sound is 98% of the AVP2/Aragon 2007 combo I had 3 years ago and the LMC-1 controller while a PITA to use sounds better than B&K ref50 and Anthem AVM20 I had after the AVP2.

The LPA-1 is every bit the amp the Aragon was even rated at 75 watts less per channel.

Being an audio nut like most here I will not say it will be the last amp I ever own, but if it is I'm confident I will not be missing anything sound quality wise from newer designs.

At $499 shipped it has to be the ABSOLUTE best audio buy available today for a new(not used) product.

I'm absolutely blown away by the clarity and detail that's been added to music and movies and with my speakers my ears reach their limits before the amp/speakers do.

Well done by Emotiva.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Has anyone heard if they are extending the free shipping? I'm not quite ready to buy yet, but I don't want to miss out on the deal. Guessing I'll email them, but just wondered if anyone had talked to them already from here.

Aaron

·
Registered
380 Posts
I've been thinking about snagging one too. I only need a 5 channel amp, and this one looks like it will do 125 X 5 with all channels driven. It's pretty darn big though, and I'm not sure if the feet will fit on top of my SVS PB12-ISD (which I think measures about 18" X 18" on top).

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Yeah, I only need 5 channels, too. I have an email into them about the shipping. I'll let you know when I hear back. I also asked if they have any plans for a 3 channel amp. That's REALLY all I need - but the 5 channel would be ok, too, of course.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiddyup /forum/post/0

I just got mine on the 17th and it's phenomenal!!!

It replaced a Pioneer Elite 56TXI and it's no contest.

I've had most of the high end Denon/Yamaha/Pioneer from a year or so ago in my system and again it's no contest.

The sound is 98% of the AVP2/Aragon 2007 combo I had 3 years ago and the LMC-1 controller while a PITA to use sounds better than B&K ref50 and Anthem AVM20 I had after the AVP2.

The LPA-1 is every bit the amp the Aragon was even rated at 75 watts less per channel.

Being an audio nut like most here I will not say it will be the last amp I ever own, but if it is I'm confident I will not be missing anything sound quality wise from newer designs.

At $499 shipped it has to be the ABSOLUTE best audio buy available today for a new(not used) product.

I'm absolutely blown away by the clarity and detail that's been added to music and movies and with my speakers my ears reach their limits before the amp/speakers do.

Well done by Emotiva.

From my understanding, the LMC-1 does not do analog bass management for multi-channel music? Does it have separate trim adjustments for multi-channel? I am seriously considering this combo

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.