AVS Forum banner

181 - 200 of 234 Posts

·
Registered
26,799 Posts
This week's was a very good episode, though I'm perhaps less enamored with the show as a whole than others in this thread. I find it even more frustratingly uneven than Watchmen was. I wish the show would pick a tone and stick with it rather than veer so wildly from episode to episode.

I'm also routinely distracted by the very poor green-screen compositing. Pretty much any shot that took place on an outdoor street in this episode looked fake as hell. The lighting on the characters never quite matched the background, and the angle they were photographed from also looked to be slightly off, which makes it feel like they're walking through a Star Trek holodeck.

The part where the planes swooped in and bombed the city were way out of scale and proportion, and the planes' movements weren't natural.

The show has some VFX moments that look great, but too many others that look really bad.

Reactions: WilliamR

·
Premium Member
3,944 Posts
For me, the show continues to knock it out of the park .. the Tulsa race massacre, another piece of our sorted History interwoven with Sundays episode ..

The show has a depth that is rarely seen and very thought provoking, which I think is what the writer (Misha Green based on Matt Ruff) .. went for ..

The Ford Woody wagon the Freeman's drive is as much a part of the cast as anything, IMO .. you see it new, you see it worn and older .. it's a wonderful detail ..
I assume you meant sordid, not sorted.

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
Is there another season? Sort of figured they would

attempt to setup another Big Bad - unless that is Diana and the Monster? That could be interesting.....

Figured someone was going to die, did not think it would be Tic but I applaud series that kill primary protagonists...

·
Registered
15,801 Posts
‘Lovecraft Country’ Creator Misha Green On Tonight’s Finale, Season 2 & “Meaningful Sacrifice”

‘Lovecraft Country’ Season Finale: Everything Comes “Full Circle” In Jaw-Dropping End Of Misha Green’s Socially-Poignant Sci-Fi Horror Fantasy

New Hollywood Podcast: Jurnee Smollett Is Queen Of ‘Lovecraft Country’; Actress Talks Season Finale And Future Of Series

'Lovecraft Country' Boss Looks Past That Game-Changing Finale: "There's Definitely a Path Forward"

·
Registered
189 Posts
Thought the season was great but didn't care for the last episode. Thought it was a bit rushed and needed another episode or two to end things. Also some stuff just didn't add up very well. The lady said they had the book of spells to use for themselves but a few episodes back she said she wasn't allowed to open the book. Didn't really make sense why they weren't using the book to protect themselves as they stated.

·
Registered
18,530 Posts
Was kind of a mess. We had a WWF cage match with our gang and the townsfolk. Was ready for Hippolyta to suplex farmer Joe with Montrose coming in with an elbow smash off the top rope. Lol. So Christina cast the immortal spell. It worked. She's immortal. Tic is dead. But wait... all Foxy Loxy has to do is connect blondie and Tic and Leti can then reverse the immortality spell. What a lame immortality spell. It's like Dr. Doofenshmirtz adding a self destruct switch to all his inators. And what did they cut out of Titus's chest? It did absolutely nothing. The show had its moments. But overall...it was just ok.

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
Outside of a couple confusing and awkward moments, overall it was a fitting finale. Though not quite the happy ending we get in the books. But we knew that after the first episode when George was killed. Interesting that the show would continue forward in season 2 without Atticus and George, the main characters with a deep love and knowledge of classic SFF books—that was a central component of the original book: them seeing the monsters and paranormal phenomena they read about in fiction coming to life. I guess Diane (who, like her counterpart in the book, creates SFF comics) can carry on the tradition.

It'll be interesting to see how far in the future they jump forward for season 2. I'm guessing 1963, the year of the Alabama church bombing that killed those girls and the big events of the civil rights movement that ensued, including the often violent resistance. Perhaps one of the messages of the show will be that extreme levels of hatred can even trump magic.

My other thought is the show could go full on "Lovecraft Country: The Next Generation" and have the story revolve around an adult George Jr. and a much older and wiser Diane, set amid the systemic mass incarcerations of Black people as part of Reagan's so-called "war on drugs."

Of course, we could also see an alternate history that resulted from them having control of the magic. However, it turns out, I'm definitely looking forward to what they come up with.

·
Registered
26,799 Posts
Well, I thought the show had been on an upswing with the last couple episodes, but that finale just plain sucked. It was a totally incoherent hour of characters shouting gibberish words, random scenes strung back-to-back with no connection to each other, and a plot that didn't even try to make a damn bit of sense. Every new twist contradicted the last one with no explanation at all.

Remember how we spent an entire episode watching Hippolyta become a badass warrior queen? Oh, well, apparently she forgot how to fight. How convenient for the plot.

But that little girl who was scared out of her mind two seconds ago is now a ruthless murdering cyborg with a monster pet? Oh, okay, whatever, I guess...

Plus, for all that it was really, really, intensely boring. This episode really let the air out of the entire show for me. If it comes back for a second season I'm not sure I'll bother with it anymore.

·
Registered
26,799 Posts
You know how we literally just told you that Christina is immortal? Well, that doesn't work for us anymore because we want to end the season with a badass scene of a 10-year-old girl brutally tearing her throat out and murdering her. So let's just pretend that immortality thing didn't happen. Okay, cool? Cool.

·
Registered
26,799 Posts

·
Registered
9,680 Posts
Well, I though the show had been on an upswing with the last couple episodes, but that finale just plain sucked. It was a totally incoherent hour of characters shouting gibberish words, random scenes strung back-to-back with no connection to each other, and a plot that didn't even try to make a damn bit of sense. Every new twist contradicted the last one with no explanation at all.

Remember how we spent an entire episode watching Hippolyta become a badass warrior queen? Oh, well, apparently she forgot how to fight. How convenient for the plot.

But that little girl who was scared out of her mind two seconds ago is now a ruthless murdering cyborg with a monster pet? Oh, okay, whatever, I guess...

Plus, for all that it was really, really, intensely boring. This episode really let the air out of the entire show for me. If it comes back for a second season I'm not sure I'll bother with it anymore.
We watched the 1st episode. Didn't find it compelling storytelling compared to Watchmen with its similar backdrop/theme. So this scifi-horror-fantasy-mystery-supernatural fan bowed out. For some reason, I had a gut feeling the pay-off might not be worth it for the 10 hr investment. Since many times your opinions seem to mirror my own, for me, it looks like it was a good decision.

·
Registered
27,438 Posts
I have to agree with others here. That finale was an incoherent mess. None if it made a damn bit of sense. What happened to Christina's army? They were there one minute, gone the next. Did they have to get back to their hovels for "The Price is Right"?

There was no narrative cohesion, and no clear reason why any of it was happening. And where did Diane get that robot arm? The Arkham Walmart? Good monsters, bad monsters, WTF? Spells made, spells broken, eh... who cares?

And here I thought 'Raised By Wolves' had a BONKERS ending. Sigh. HBO is having a tough time sticking the landing lately.

·
Registered
9,680 Posts
HBO is having a tough time sticking the landing lately.
Agreed. Execs at AT&T clearly wanted HBO to put more emphasis on quantity instead of quality. This is a predictable result. HBO's glory years for original programming have past. AT&T wants stuff for streaming.

I do like The Third Day and have 2 more episodes to go. So far, IMHO, compared to ep 1 of LC, it's been far better storytelling and more of what I expected in LC.

181 - 200 of 234 Posts