AVS Forum banner

161 - 180 of 234 Posts

·
Registered
18,530 Posts
Better episode tonight. The Grady Twins were creepy and the ending was great! Although I don’t know how they’re going to explain that mess. Lol

·
Registered
26,799 Posts
I thought the sex scene was one of the most disturbing things I'd ever seen on television... and then the freaky twins showed up!

Reactions: lax01

·
Registered
16,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #166
The juxtaposition of supernatural horror with historical facts continues, aka "Uncle Tom's Cabin" and Emmett Till .. to me, this show is doing an incredibly good job .. awards should be in the offing ..

·
Registered
20,438 Posts
I thought tonight’s episode was really good. The Jackie Robinson “bat” scene connecting to what we saw in episode 1. Looking forward to the finale.

·
Registered
15,801 Posts
Lovecraft Country | Illustrating for TV Masterclass with Afua Richardson

Lovecraft Country | SPFX Makeup Masterclass with Carey Jones

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
I'm all caught up. This season continues to impress. Great moment where Atticus explains some of the differences between the book version his future son wrote and the TV show (spoiler alert: those aren't the only differences). Speaking of which, I found it odd how Ji-ha showed up out of the blue, was immediately rejected by Atticus, and then just disappeared. I can only assume she'll make some kind of deus ex kumiho appearance in the finale, otherwise this made-up side story that wasn't in the book will just be filler.

I also thought the show did a nice job of fleshing out George's and Montrose's backstory of surviving the Tulsa Massacre as teens. Though I personally find watching someone being burned alive way more disturbing than any gory horror sex scene.

·
Registered
16,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #173
For me, the show continues to knock it out of the park .. the Tulsa race massacre, another piece of our sorted History interwoven with Sundays episode ..

The show has a depth that is rarely seen and very thought provoking, which I think is what the writer (Misha Green based on Matt Ruff) .. went for ..

The Ford Woody wagon the Freeman's drive is as much a part of the cast as anything, IMO .. you see it new, you see it worn and older .. it's a wonderful detail ..

·
Registered
8,491 Posts
Tulsa race massacre? Are you thinking of Watchmen?

What was the riot from last night, 1920s Chicago? Or was it suppose to be their version of Tulsa?

Pilot was good, mostly straightforward narrative. Good suspense build up before the supernatural element was revealed.

Other episodes have been up and down.

It looks like a lot of the supernatural creatures protect the black characters and attack the racist characters?

In last week's episode it looks like the same monsters which kill the Chicago cops are the same ones which killed the country cops in the pilot. In the haunted house episode, the ghosts took revenge on racists who killed them.

So the monsters are not necessarily metaphors for racism?

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
Tulsa race massacre? Are you thinking of Watchmen?

What was the riot from last night, 1920s Chicago? Or was it suppose to be their version of Tulsa?

Pilot was good, mostly straightforward narrative. Good suspense build up before the supernatural element was revealed.

Other episodes have been up and down.
It was the Tulsa Massacre. Montrose and George were born and grew up in Tulsa and escaped the slaughter, though many of their family members didn't. It was part of their back story in the original book, published before HBO aired Watchmen.

·
Registered
15,801 Posts
For me, the show continues to knock it out of the park .. the Tulsa race massacre, another piece of our sorted History interwoven with Sundays episode ..

The show has a depth that is rarely seen and very thought provoking, which I think is what the writer (Misha Green based on Matt Ruff) .. went for ..

The Ford Woody wagon the Freeman's drive is as much a part of the cast as anything, IMO .. you see it new, you see it worn and older .. it's a wonderful detail ..
Agreed, this is one heck of a ride. To be honest when I read about it and the source material I did not think they would be able to pull this off. I pictured it crashing and burning. But they sure did pull it off, enhanced by a stellar cast that keeps you engaged and interested. I look forward to this every week.

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
This is one of those instances where the TV show has clearly exceeded the book. If someone asks me, "I love The Expanse TV show, should I read the books?" I say, "Yes, absolutely!" If someone were to ask me if they should read the book Lovecraft Country, I would say, "If you are interested in slightly different versions of the main story lines and different takes on the some of the main characters, then sure." But it's really not going to add much more to your appreciation and understanding of the world or the characters in the same way the Expanse books do.

·
Registered
16,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #180 (Edited)
I also thought the show did a nice job of fleshing out George's and Montrose's backstory of surviving the Tulsa Massacre as teens. Though I personally find watching someone being burned alive way more disturbing than any gory horror sex scene.
The scene outside of Montrose and George’s childhood home, as Atticus, Leti, and Montrose watch as a younger version of Montrose is beaten and whipped by Atticus’ grandfather, was as disturbing, to me, as anything else ..

And, in a way, was a commentary on prejudice not only between races, but between orientation as well ..

161 - 180 of 234 Posts