Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks,

Although I loved the XBR for its looks but I would probably end up buying the GWIII bcoz of the $1500 cost difference. Now want I'd like to know from you is very important BEFORE I make this decision final:

1. I cannot use the built-in HD tuner since I am close to an airport and therefore would not be able to get clear off-air signals for HDTV at all. CC told me this, is that true? That kinda rules XBR out.

2. Other than above, are there any significant improvements or important enhancements in XBR due to which I should def. buy it. I do plan to keep the TV for about 5-6 yrs and therefore would not want to get stuck with old technology, IF that is the case. Even small things such as video inputs/outputs, etc.

3. Since I shall place an order later this week, I would get a Jan or later build and therefore should not inherit the buzz or other issues with this TV with '03 build.

Your input is going to help me make this important decision a sound one. I do not want to feel that I made a wrong decision.

Thanks a ton!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Mallu2u,

I don't think being near an airport will have any major effect on getting UHF or VHF OTA signals. As you will find out on this forum the veterans will tell you don't always believe what these sales clerks tell you. Go to antennaweb.org and you can find out where your local ota antennas are and what kind of antenna you would need.. The sales clerks will tell you that you must buy a "special" antenna for ota hdtv. That is bunk. Any uhf or vhf antenna will work. You just need to determine what is your distance from your local antenna farm. I have a 60xbr on order. Although not an expert, it is my understanding that the xbr has additional filtering, and a brighter bulb, in addition to the built in tuner. I have a sat dish, and use an outside antenna for locals, (including HDTV). I was originally going to pay extra for the locals over the sat dish. Now I get them free. The more experienced folks in the forum can shed even more light on the differences. BTW, I've been waiting since 12/28 and still no call from CC.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have 60 GWIII and love it so far. No problems for my 12/03 model.

The 60 XBR and 60WE610 can't be compared "fairly" b/c of basic difference in screen. XBR has that mirror-shine screen and 610 has the anti-reflective screen. This alone makes them look very different. For my house, I have too many windows and XBR just would NOt work due to glare. Some people will prefer the "shiny" presentation, however.

The "improved" digital path of XBR has been discussed, but no one seems to be able to confirm any actual improvement in PQ that results. I have no complaints about WE610 PQ (source-dependent, of course).

For me the only real difference was better speakers in XBR, the look of the set, and built-in HD receiver.

I use my home theater speakers anyway, so it's a moot point. XBR's speakers will not be nowhere as good as HT speakers anyway.

The look. Some will like the XBR look better. I like 610 look just fine and will not pay extra for the difference.

Built in HD receiver. I refuse to pay for something I will never use. Most cable companies and sattelite co's require the use of their own HDTV receiver anyway. I use DISH 811 for OTA and DISH SD and HD programming.

I would save the $$ if I were you and buy some good Home theater speakers/amp instead...

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks folks! I shall also be using Home Theatre. In fact, have a great home theatre with Boston Acoustics all the way and Yamaha Receiver. So Sony's inherent Audio System is not going to make much of a difference to me while making the purchase.

- I am thinking more of some POTENTIAL updates included in XBR that might make GWIII outdated faster than XBR. Could this be true?

- Also other technologies? Video Sources, etc?

- Also, any light that can be shed on the Tuner issue?

thanks.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
What I am trying to figure out is why the XBR is so much heavier, even though the sets are otherwise very comparable as far as features are concerned. I went down both lists and they are very close to one another, and you would think that they would use many of the same component parts. But according to the Sony web site, the 60GWIII weighs 100 lbs whereas the 60XBR950 weighs 178 lbs. The XBR is a little wider (the speakers, I think), a little deeper (by 2 inches) but is slightly shorter than the GWIII. But other than the built in tuner, the brighter bulb and the additional speakers (the XBR has 7), I am wondering what accounts for the difference. Could the XBR have more substantial (better built?) parts? Or is the weight difference mostly due to the difference in casing?

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
From what I read, the weight can be attributed to the HDTV Tuner and the new sound system on the XBRs. More experienced folks on this forum can expand more on this...

·
Registered
337 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mallu2u
Folks,

1. I cannot use the built-in HD tuner since I am close to an airport and therefore would not be able to get clear off-air signals for HDTV at all. CC told me this, is that true? That kinda rules XBR out.

Thanks a ton!
Most radar (high energy) that I know of is way above UHF. We had a wireless cable system that was sensitive to weather radar since it uses high energy pulses. We had to filter the front ends of our set tops to notch out the radar even though we did not tune its frequency. The front end of the set top was wide enough to get enough radar energy to overload the frontend (sort of like being blinded temporarily by a flashlight on a dark night). That system operated around 2 Ghz. If it is a problem you can always try a directional antenna as long as you are not looking through the general direction of the airport toward the HD source transmitter.

Ask the sales guy at what frequency the airport radar operates (or whatever source he believes is interfering) and let him impress you with his knowledge.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JBaumgart
What I am trying to figure out is why the XBR is so much heavier, even though the sets are otherwise very comparable as far as features are concerned. I went down both lists and they are very close to one another, and you would think that they would use many of the same component parts. But according to the Sony web site, the 60GWIII weighs 100 lbs whereas the 60XBR950 weighs 178 lbs. The XBR is a little wider (the speakers, I think), a little deeper (by 2 inches) but is slightly shorter than the GWIII. But other than the built in tuner, the brighter bulb and the additional speakers (the XBR has 7), I am wondering what accounts for the difference. Could the XBR have more substantial (better built?) parts? Or is the weight difference mostly due to the difference in casing?
I think the major difference in weight has to do with the difference in screens. The XBR's have a large and thick glass, plexi-glass?, screen that I am sure weighs quite a bit more than the screen on the WE610's. The XBR's case is a bit more "beefed up" than the WE610 which also adds to the weight.

·
Registered
134 Posts
with the heavier screen, I expect the xbr to also require a counterbalance weight inside the cabinet to keep from tipping.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So does anyone think that XBR is significantly better than GWIII and worth the extra bucks. And if so, please educate me. I just want to make sure I am not making a mistake by buying the GWIII as against the XBR. If I do not hear otherwise, I shall go ahead and make the purchase this week.

-thanks

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I upgraded to the 60XBR950 after owning the (buzzing) 50"GWIII for 2 months so I spent 2k for the upgrade and I don't regret it one bit.

the very first thing I noticed was that SD programs looked much better on the XBR and I think thats saying a lot since the Screen size was 10" bigger.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mallu2u
What does SD programs mean? Apologize for asking such a newbie Q.
SD = Standard Definition, i.e. conventional 480i resolution.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Villanman
...the very first thing I noticed was that SD programs looked much better on the XBR and I think thats saying a lot since the Screen size was 10" bigger.
Wouldn't any higher quality of SD sources depend on the SD source, i.e., if I'm using my satellite STB to upgrade all signals to 1080i, doesn't that by-pass whatever improved filtering or picture enhancements that the TV itself might perform?

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
so far I have not heard anything major that would make me buy the XBR vs the GWIII. Is the technology for this TV pretty new and the one that would not get outdated soon?

thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
I went to CC and looked at the xbr950 and the we610 right next to one another.

Both were playing HD discovery channel. I set them to the same default factory settings (brightness, contrast, etc). The we610 pic looked brighter and a tad richer. The xbr pic was a bit more dull in color. Since it was well lit in the store, you could see your relfection in the the xbr plexi. I couldnt see any reflections in the 610 pic.

Why would the WE610 look better than the xbr pic (given all other things equal)?

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I am surprised to read this since I have been told by many that XBR is about 20% brighter than GWIII and should also have much better picture.

Any comments?

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
For me the difference is roughly $2,000 and for that I can buy new speakers or alot of other goodies. Granted I thought the picture was fantastic on the XBR and the TV looks better but I haven't seen a GWIII setup correctly running identical feeds other than Circuit and that wasn't setup properly either.

When I get more serious in the next month or 2, then I'm going to compare the 2 in similar situations. At this point I don't think the XBR is worth the extra $2,000.

The question then becomes for me, Is the picture that good enough for me to make a purchase and not consider Hitachi, Samsung or the others..

I just can't find a properly setup GWIII to make a final decision.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.