AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,what I have is a 12wX21LX7H room.

Havin a heck of a time deciding on a curve screen or just a flat scope.

I'm using a 106"Dalite16X9 for now.

My projector's a Jvc X-9(RS-60).

Cant decide on the above and what size of 235.1 I should go with.

Looking at maybe something that I can keep my CIH(52"),maybe 117X50" viewing area(133"diagonal).

Looking at Amamorphic lenes also,Hopefully I can do this right the first time,

as it can get very pricey making a mistake,especially with a small screen or even a big screen.

Seating (couch) can adjust accordingly,any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Wanting to hit the order button,BUT not 100% sure on the screen size or the style
,Thanks.

Also the room is totally dark

·
Registered
8,958 Posts
In a 21' room, I would not go larger than 5.25' tall. You can place your seats anywhere from 11' to 19' (pending your preference).

ONLY go curved if using an anamorphic lens that you intend leaving in the light path all the time.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Mark,thanks for the responce.

So 60" high.

Can't decide on a 235.1 flat or the 235.1 curve.

It seems by all the posts that for more of that immersion feeling that a lens and

curved is the way to go,correct,if so, I was attracted to SMX.

I looked at Dalite,didn't care for the lace and grommet.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
A 5.25' high 2.35:1 screen is wider than your room! Don't forget that the actual screen size is up to 12" larger than the screen area.

Another factor to think about is the brightness of your picture, especially with the X-9 which is not a very bright projector. The screen gain also needs to be taken into account. If you are filling up your room width with a screen then I assume you are looking at an AT screen? If so, then the max gain is around 1.1 and so the projector brightness is even more important.

Personally I think a curved screen is really cool. If you rarely watch 2.35:1 content then it wouldn't be necessary, but I'd say if the majority of content will use the a-lens, and you can afford the premium, then go for it. Remember that you will get slight distortion without the a-lens in place. Your projector can compress a 16:9 image so it can be projected with the a-lens in place.

BTW I have a 54" high CIH 2.40:1 ratio curved screen with a 1.1 gain fabric (SeymourAV) and a RS-40 projector in a 15' foot wide room with front row at slightly over 11'. I'm really happy with the setup.

·
Registered
8,958 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moggie /forum/post/20791535

A 5.25' high 2.35:1 screen is wider than your room!

So it is. My bad. Reduce the height until the width fits.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Pick a width then find a height, height would = width/2.35

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Do you have the projector already? If so, hang a big white sheet, or project on a wall, and use your eyes to decide on the final screen size. I did this, spent about two weeks trying out different sizes to see what I liked best, and then ordered the screen - worth a little wait to get it right (where "right" = what you like best).

·
Registered
8,958 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by malovich /forum/post/20793059

Pick a width then find a height, height would = width/2.35

A wall to wall screen about 5 foot tall would be nice.

·
Registered
525 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVX /forum/post/20793727

A wall to wall screen about 5 foot tall would be nice.

as long as you found a way to mount it and control reflections on the side walls.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I do have tape on the wall @109"X46'(small)

Then I tried taping off 122" X52"(132.7 diagonal)and can see the tape between my speakers.so I assume I'm safe as far as visual and screen width.

·
Registered
8,958 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by malovich /forum/post/20794333

as long as you found a way to mount it and control reflections on the side walls.

I have a wall to wall Scope screen in my own cinema and I used black car carpet on the walls. It has worked out to provide both a light sponge as well as giving an acoustic benefit as well.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As I own a painting business,I was going to paint the walls(dark grey or a brown).

Jeez,now to think about ACT screen or.

This seems harder than choosing my audio gear(which I did),harder as I'm taking my time.

Thanks everybody.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts